Football 19/20

thetime

17 minutes ago, jyoung said:

Yeah for the reasons above (plus the need of medical staff on standby / access to hospitals) I can't see this working.

i'm not sure the players would agree to go along with it either. There's bound to be a significant number who won't agree to be parted from their families "at this difficult time".

53 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Things might have changed by June is the thinking I guess!

Yeah they had some small club chairman on Scottish football radio show on Saturday. 

Clubs will go out the game if they don’t complete season asap and release the tv and sponsors money.

I hate the idea of closed door games but by June I’d take anything.

As an example, they were talking about how the Scottish cup could be played out live on tv Tuesday Wednesday Sunday and that’s it done.

Liverpool could have the league done in a couple of weeks. Ideally before the issues with players contracts kick in. 

Tv money would be paid, relegation sorted and champs league places allocated.

If the season plays out behind closed doors season ticket holders could get to watch free via a link etc. Supporters wouldn’t ask for money back anyway in a lot of cases. I’ve got 3 season books and wouldn’t be expecting any refund.

My club apparently safe ish with 80% salary payments . Also all SPL clubs have little known clause that if SPL stop the games ( As has happened) clubs can release players from their contracts. The cap on 80% obviously not so effective with the big earners although you’d imagine they’ll can struggle on 🙂 

23 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

I just don't see how you can do it at the same time as prioritising the NHS

Of course. Obviously I’m not talking about starting this tomorrow 🙂 

It could be September/October before we see crowds at football. I’m guessing that closed doors games are in the mix during the summer months now the Euros are postponed. 

As I said, I hate the thought of closed door games but we need to still have clubs come October.

Hopefully we don’t need to caveat every post speculating on how football can and will resume by mentioning the Nhs being priority etc 🙂 

Even behind closed doors. You get an Andre Gomes type injury and your taking doctors away from the NHS and really it doesn't look great. Give Liverpool the title and target next season maybe starting a little late.

Edited by lost

6 minutes ago, lost said:

Even behind closed doors. You get an Andre Gomes type injury and your taking doctors away from the NHS and really it doesn't look great. Give Liverpool the title and target next season maybe starting a little late.

You’re probably right. A football should not be kicked in anger again until every NHS waiting list queue up and down the country has been wiped clean 😉 

In all seriousness, with each week that passes your scenario becomes more likely but I’m still guessing that one way or another we finish this season with half an eye on what to do about next season when some social distancing prevention measures might get brought in during the winter if this is still around.

9 minutes ago, Comfy Bean said:

You’re probably right. A football should not be kicked in anger again until every NHS waiting list queue up and down the country has been wiped clean 😉 

Its more to do with everyone appearing to be playing by the same rules nothing to do with waiting lists. Its got a knock on effect to the other measures the government has taken.

The 3 - 6 months estimate till 'back to normal' seems a reasonable estimate for the football as well though with the amount of time they have stopped if people don't want half their team injured next year some sort of pre-season will need to be added in.

Edited by lost

26 minutes ago, Comfy Bean said:

Of course. Obviously I’m not talking about starting this tomorrow 🙂 

It could be September/October before we see crowds at football. I’m guessing that closed doors games are in the mix during the summer months now the Euros are postponed. 

As I said, I hate the thought of closed door games but we need to still have clubs come October.

Hopefully we don’t need to caveat every post speculating on how football can and will resume by mentioning the Nhs being priority etc 🙂 

I just don't see how you can have these behind closed door games in June without putting the NHS at risk. I think the timeframe is too tight.

5 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

I just don't see how you can have these behind closed door games in June without putting the NHS at risk. I think the timeframe is too tight.

I’m guessing mate but I reckon football teams will be back in training before the end of June and the clubs will be very short of money and not getting govt help if players are back “working “.

I do realise that this is all very trivial. Same as other threads around here about when we can all go back to camping in fields listening to tunes. Suppose we all need something to look forward to.

See ITV are going to show Euro 96 in May 🙂 

Clubs showing old games as live on Saturdays over YouTube also let me catch up with my  football mates over WhatsApp at 3pm on Saturday there. We won 5-0 😂

18 minutes ago, Comfy Bean said:

I’m guessing mate but I reckon football teams will be back in training before the end of June and the clubs will be very short of money and not getting govt help if players are back “working “.

I do realise that this is all very trivial. Same as other threads around here about when we can all go back to camping in fields listening to tunes. Suppose we all need something to look forward to.

See ITV are going to show Euro 96 in May 🙂 

Clubs showing old games as live on Saturdays over YouTube also let me catch up with my  football mates over WhatsApp at 3pm on Saturday there. We won 5-0 😂

I am watching lots of old games/highlights on YouTube. Funny thing is my teams always win, much more sattisfying than the real thing.

I saw 6 matches live in Euro 96 so keen to rewatch. Most were terrible from memory. That 96-02 period is my favourite in football so good nostalgia.

26 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

I saw 6 matches live in Euro 96 so keen to rewatch. Most were terrible from memory. That 96-02 period is my favourite in football so good nostalgia.

Euro 2000 was one of the best summers of my life. It seemed to be boiling every night and one of the local pubs put a huge screen in the beer garden. Every night seemed to be straight to the pub to watch all the games outside and then onto a night club. Its why I feel gutted for the kids having to stay in this summer as those care free days are so short.

4 minutes ago, lost said:

Its more to do with everyone appearing to be playing by the same rules nothing to do with waiting lists. Its got a knock on effect to the other measures the government has taken.

The 3 - 6 months estimate till 'back to normal seems a reasonable estimate for the football though with the mount of time they have stopped if people don't want half their team injured next year some sort of pre-season will need to be added to the estimate.

Also you cant say its ok for footballers to play behind closed doors, while still telling people they cant have a kick around on the park. I don't know how longs some of these measures will be in place, but suspect we are going past June.

32 minutes ago, lost said:

Euro 2000 was one of the best summers of my life. It seemed to be boiling every night and one of the local pubs put a huge screen in the beer garden. Every night seemed to be straight to the pub to watch all the games outside and then onto a night club. Its why I feel gutted for the kids having to stay in this summer as those care free days are so short.

Euro 2000 was in my view much superior to 96. People look at the latter through rose tinted glasses.

Probably should be in the daily mash rather than the Athletic.

They could have Jimmy Hill present it, every time he mentions they have no new cases in Wuhan he can stroke his chin.

Edited by lost

Just fuck the premier league off and stick City's cas appeal on TV. It would break all TV viewing figures.

Also if FFP has to be relaxed so clubs can survive, surely that means it is not doing what it should be doing in the first place. This tragedy has  shown it up for the absolute farce that it is.

Would not like being United at the minute. Huge debts to service, no income and no Champions League football next season. What a shame.

11 hours ago, eastynh said:

It would break all TV viewing figures.

possibly, but if it did it would be in the same way as trump is getting record viewing figures.

After all, who doesn't love a mindless despot talking out of their arse at a level never seen before?

Would not like being United at the minute. Huge debts to service, no income and no Champions League football next season. What a shame.

it seems to be passing you by, but the ones without CL footie next season "at the minute" are across town.

Edited by eFestivals

3 hours ago, eFestivals said:

possibly, but if it did it would be in the same way as trump is getting record viewing figures.

After all, who doesn't love a mindless despot talking out of their arse at a level never seen before?

it seems to be passing you by, but the ones without CL footie next season "at the minute" are across town.

Mindless despot?? How is Citys owner a mindlesss despot?? I have attached the definition of a despot below. Please show how Citys owner is A) mindless and B) a despot.

Also City will be in Europe next season, hence the desperate pleas of a group of clubs writing to CAS asking them to uphold Citys ban. Which is absolutely pathetic when you think about it. Asking CAS to break its own protocol to the suit the narrativ of a few clubs.

I  relation to the appeal, it seems the only evidence UEFA have and are submitting, is screen shots of stolen and out of context emails. They do not even have the emails. They they have absolutely no evidence what so ever that City have done anything, not a single piece. It is going to get laughed out of CAS.

Also Neil why have you never comnented on Sheff Uniteds owners? Are you waiting till they are a threat to Liverpool? Are they ok while they are in the Europa league spots?

Screenshot_20200331-111626_Chrome.jpg

Edited by eastynh

3 minutes ago, eastynh said:

Mindless despot?? How is Citys owner a mindlesss despot?? I have attached the definition of a despot below. Please show how Citys owner is A) mindless and B) a despot.

ok, a mindful despot if you prefer. ;)

how's he a despot? Here's what Amnesty have to say:-
https://www.amnesty.org/en/countries/middle-east-and-north-africa/united-arab-emirates/

3 minutes ago, eastynh said:

I  relation to the appeal, it seems the only evidence UEFA have and are submitting, is screen shots of stolen and out of context emails. They do not even have the emails. They they have absolutely no evidence what so ever that City have done anything, not a single piece. It is going to get laughed out of CAS.

oh dear, there you are again talking about the evidence UEFA have while saying they have no evidence. :lol: 

Other evidence UEFA have are the submissions by City which say something different to those emails.

The 'crime' City were found guilty of is (put simply) lying: the difference between what City submitted as truthful and what those emails say  - which (so eminent lawyers say) prove what City submitted was untruthful.

Me, I'll go with those eminent independent lawyers and not the word of the despot.

16 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

ok, a mindful despot if you prefer. ;)

how's he a despot? Here's what Amnesty have to say:-
https://www.amnesty.org/en/countries/middle-east-and-north-africa/united-arab-emirates/

oh dear, there you are again talking about the evidence UEFA have while saying they have no evidence. :lol: 

Other evidence UEFA have are the submissions by City which say something different to those emails.

The 'crime' City were found guilty of is (put simply) lying: the difference between what City submitted as truthful and what those emails say  - which (so eminent lawyers say) prove what City submitted was untruthful.

Me, I'll go with those eminent independent lawyers and not the word of the despot.

So Sheikh Mansour is not a despot then?

Sheikh Mansour is Citys owner. He is not a ruler, nor a man who holds absolute power, therefore by definition, he is not a despot.

UEFA have screenshots of articles from a newspaper which has previously admitted releasing false news stories.

They have nothing which incriminates City of any wrong doing.

They don't even hsve the actual emails 😂😂

Edited by eastynh