Football 19/20

thetime

9 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

I realise Bournemouth would probably scream 'unfair' and say they'd played tougher games to cause them to have a worse GD, but it is what it is - where there's no fair way to all teams to sort this mess, whatever they choose to do. 

The only fair thing that can happen is to finish the job but yeah obviously that may not be possible. I'd be sad to see Bournemouth go down with the season unfinished tbh. They've had rough luck with injuries (I know, I know) and on their day they're a great watch.

11 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

that becomes impossible to do if it can't be done by 1st July when contracts end - and if it did happen by then teams would be knobbled from players having to self-isolate.

So even finishing the job wouldn't end up fair.

Very true. 

I think people are just trying to will a definite date for football to come back into existence without really assessing if there's a date that it can come back, at least not yet.

I had assumed we were likelier to return with closed door games but even then, as players have been diagnosed, that likelihood has definitely receded.

I was pretty confident it would be finished when we only had restrictions on vulnerable people. Now it doesn't look good telling people they are not allowed within 2 metres of family members from different households but players can do that behind close doors. According to the papers the only thing stopping the season being ended is clubs handing back the Sky/BT money.

Edited by lost

I have changed my mind about finishing the season now. Give Liverpool the title, decide the league placements on points per game and run a 22 team league next season with Leeds and WBA, moving back to 20 over 1 or 2 seasons. It’s unfair on championship play off teams and saves Norwich a team clearly going down. I just think we need to finish this thing now.

28 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

I have changed my mind about finishing the season now. Give Liverpool the title, decide the league placements on points per game and run a 22 team league next season with Leeds and WBA, moving back to 20 over 1 or 2 seasons. It’s unfair on championship play off teams and saves Norwich a team clearly going down. I just think we need to finish this thing now.

Hmmm. Works in theory I guess but you'd be annoyed if you were Sheffield United thinking Man United finished in CL spot ahead of you because they had an extra game to raise their PPG.

Edited by jyoung

1 hour ago, eFestivals said:

it's not possible to do a full quarantine, because of the staff needed to cook and clean, and the fresh food that would need to be brought in.

The chances of all teams staying free of infections for the duration is probably small.

Also maintenance people, administration and all types of people needed to make something like this run.