Football 19/20

thetime

On 3/14/2020 at 8:31 AM, pink_triangle said:

None of UEFA favoured teams are in the play offs. I wonder if when the tournament happens they will just run as 20 teams.

Apols PT, meant to quote you in the last post. Looks like the original plan will stand whenever we get round to the tournament.

Edited by Comfy Bean

Looks like we may be some closer to a decision on the PL by the end of today.

Reading that clubs are pushing for the remainder of this season to be completed, but other than Liverpool and Leicester I am unsure who else really benefits from this? Maybe United (potential CL qualification) and Sheff Utd (potential CL/Europa qualification) for next season.

The other clubs should be fairly neutral on this option or the season being scrapped, with Spurs and all the clubs in the relegation mix potentially actively pushing for the season to be void. 

There needs to be a plan of action put in place so everyone knows where they stand. Deadlines need stating.

If they can get up and running again by the start of July, then finish the season fully. Then have a bit of a break, before starting next season. Drop the league cup and international friendlies from next season so that we can fit in a condensed season.

If we can''t start again by July then null and void the season. Everyone starts next season as they started this.

12 minutes ago, eastynh said:

There needs to be a plan of action put in place so everyone knows where they stand. Deadlines need stating.

If they can get up and running again by the start of July, then finish the season fully. Then have a bit of a break, before starting next season. Drop the league cup and international friendlies from next season so that we can fit in a condensed season.

If we can''t start again by July then null and void the season. Everyone starts next season as they started this.

I agree, that does seem to be a sensible route to follow. As much as Liverpool do deserve the title this season, there has to become a point where the season becomes void to limit the knock-on impact for the next 2/3/4 seasons to follow. Whilst it would be unfair on a number of clubs throughout all divisions, it would be the same for all teams, and given the circumstances there couldn’t be too much to complain about. 

8 minutes ago, st dan said:

there has to become a point where the season becomes void to limit the knock-on impact for the next 2/3/4 seasons to follow.

it doesn't have to be voided to do that. They could - for instance - use current placings.

Without wishing ill on any club I do think current placings makes more sense than voiding - because it makes sense the current strongest teams go into the CL and not the strongest teams from ages ago who are no longer the strongest teams.

There's a suggestion floating around of current placings with no relegations and 2 coming up from the Champs (so a 22 team Prem next season). Of all the ideas I've seen that one strikes me as the best idea.

6 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

it doesn't have to be voided to do that. They could - for instance - use current placings.

Without wishing ill on any club I do think current placings makes more sense than voiding - because it makes sense the current strongest teams go into the CL and not the strongest teams from ages ago who are no longer the strongest teams.

There's a suggestion floating around of current placings with no relegations and 2 coming up from the Champs (so a 22 team Prem next season). Of all the ideas I've seen that one strikes me as the best idea.

I also agree with current placings, however it would be mightily unfair on Villa and Sheff United with their games in hand.

To relegate one, and deny the other the potential of CL football (assuming City ban stands and 5th gets CL) through no fault of their own would be the most unjust option of all surely?

1 minute ago, st dan said:

I also agree with current placings, however it would be mightily unfair on Villa and Sheff United with their games in hand.

To relegate one, and deny the other the potential of CL football (assuming City ban stands and 5th gets CL) through no fault of their own would be the most unjust option of all surely?

City ban will not stand. There is no way the case will have been heard at Cas in time for next season.

As an aside, it is sad to think that we may never get to see David Silva play another game in England. Arguably the greatest ever Manchester City player and one of the greatest players to grace the premier league. I have never seen another player so graceful and easy of the eye.

• Like 1

No games in England until April 30th, with the FA confirming an indefinite extension to this season. Oddly, the French FA was saying earlier that April 15th might be doable, but given that we're now at the points where June events are being canned - like Glasto, like Le Mans - that surely can't be guaranteed.

Looks like the league will be finished no matter when it restarts, which is good news. It will be bizarre. Momentum will be well and truly gone, players will need a mini preseason etc, contracts will be either expiring or expired and that's before we even look at transfers. Ziyech for instance is due to join Chelsea on Jul 1st. All of this will be up in the air. 

25 minutes ago, Wooderson said:

Finish the league. Next.

Ain't gonna happen anytime soon. :rolleyes: 

And it soon becomes impossible to finish it on a fair basis, because clubs will lose (& probably gain) players. So a team can try to buy itself out of relegation - which i think is a worse outcome than using current positions.

45 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

Ain't gonna happen anytime soon. :rolleyes: 

And it soon becomes impossible to finish it on a fair basis, because clubs will lose (& probably gain) players. So a team can try to buy itself out of relegation - which i think is a worse outcome than using current positions.

Clearly all of those signings will have to wait to make their debut until current campaign is complete. The logic here a bit much for you at the moment mate?