Football 19/20

thetime

Just now, Comfy Bean said:

Hearts, currently bottom of the SPL, out tonight saying they will take legal action against any attempt to relegate them after an incomplete season.

Rangers also out with a statement around Celtic being awarded the title.

Messy. 

You can not blame them.

Imagine relegating villa because they got to a cup final.

7 minutes ago, Comfy Bean said:

Hearts, currently bottom of the SPL, out tonight saying they will take legal action against any attempt to relegate them after an incomplete season.

Messy. 

I think these clubs need to be a bit more sensitive. I understand there concerns, but I sometimes feel a bit of perspective is needed. The main victims of this virus are definitely not football clubs.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Comfy Bean said:

Totally agree. I think we’ve got to complete the season no matter when it resumes.

Complete this season, shorten the next seems to be the most sensible. Although even that is a complete minefield, with players contracts and tv contracts.

12 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

I think these clubs need to be a bit more sensitive. I understand there concerns, but I sometimes feel a bit of perspective is needed. The main victims of this virus are definitely not football clubs.

Well put.

11 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

I am not too keen on ditching domestic cups. The clubs hit the biggest by this will be smaller clubs who will most benefit from cup runs.

Yip but those competitions haven’t started yet. It’s all shit but a promotion or avoiding relegation will be worth more than the off chance of a cup run.

Some would argue the domestic cups died a while ago. 

My team are in the mix for promotion play offs. I’d take finishing the season and having no Scottish Cup as a one off next season.

10 hours ago, Comfy Bean said:

Messy. 

would be great if workers losing their jobs - about 10% of the country in the last 24 hours (tho some haven't realised yet) - had someone they could take legal action against just like those footie clubs, eh? ;) 

1 hour ago, eFestivals said:

would be great if workers losing their jobs - about 10% of the country in the last 24 hours (tho some haven't realised yet) - had someone they could take legal action against just like those footie clubs, eh? ;) 

Yes of course, couldn’t agree more. There’s probably even another thread around here where that could get discussed 😉 

In the grand scheme of things and as PT pointed out, football chat is the least of everyone’s worries but there has been discussion here on this thread about what happens next with football and I thought the legal action threats were relevant.

The season really does need to be concluded, whenever that may be. There is just no other way. 

If we are working with a really reduced schedule then they could cancel all European and domestic cup competitions for 2020/2021, and they could then conclude the season in 19 weeks. 

Loans expire on June 30th don't they? Trying to work out what that could do to the bottom. Sheff Utd losing their keeper is the big one that pops into your head but that probably only means a drop to middle table.

7 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Euro 2021 now so they can finish the leagues in the summer. 

I think it's the right choice. I think all European leagues need to be finished before they can start an international tournament.

The only issue it brings now is players playing right through 2 summers in a row if their teams are the the Euros and World Cup.

2 minutes ago, DareToDibble said:

I think it's the right choice. I think all European leagues need to be finished before they can start an international tournament.

The only issue it brings now is players playing right through 2 summers in a row if their teams are the the Euros and World Cup.

1 summer and 1 winter. 2022 World Cup is in November/December. 

Football calendar is going to be mental for the next couple of years.

3 minutes ago, The Nal said:

1 summer and 1 winter. 2022 World Cup is in November/December. 

Football calendar is going to be mental for the next couple of years.

Ah of course it's a winter World Cup.

You're right - can't imagine we'll struggle to find live sport on for the next 2 years!