Football 19/20

thetime

16 minutes ago, The Nal said:

So the last time something like this happened was WW2 and they just voided the league that year.

I sense you had to put your rod down to type that 🙂 

I’ll guess that the Euros get binned on Tuesday.

Domestic football resumes sometime in June maybe July.

Idea of starting earlier with games behind closed doors gets discussed but is then scrapped.

Clubs reach agreement on transfer window as lots of players will be out of contract in May which will now be mid season.

Next seasons domestic cups get binned to free up mid week fixture dates.

Several clubs in Scotland and further down the leagues in England go out the game.

Ronaldo wears a mask during the first game back.

Sky tv shit themselves as punters cancel subscriptions.

1 hour ago, Comfy Bean said:

Clubs reach agreement on transfer window as lots of players will be out of contract in May which will now be mid season.

not sure that can happen, unfortunately - unless all players agree to having no say over their employment, otherwise it'd be contrary to employment/restraint of trade laws.

In quieter times there might be changes of legislation to allow it, but I can't really see govt fucking around with employment laws to the benefit of corporate footie in a time of crisis.

1 hour ago, Comfy Bean said:

Sky tv shit themselves as punters cancel subscriptions.

Sky have most people locked in via contracts, and probably for the moment most end-of-contracts will be renewed.

Plus of course they're going to refuse to pay for games they're not showing.

Sky are well-set to do well out of this. ;) 

3 hours ago, squirrelarmy said:

At what point in the season did they void it? Was it with 80% of the games already played 

3 hours ago, The Nal said:

No only 3 games played! 

I was gonna say World War 2 broke out in September 1939, and presumably the pressure to void a season is less intense when the season has barely started. There was a long line of wartime football games but different scenario for a different time.

Article from talk sport

Liverpool set to be handed title, Leeds and West Brom to get promotion for 22-team season – Premier League ‘plans’ emerge after coronavirus halts campaign:

https://talksport.com/football/682510/liverpool-premier-league-title-leeds-west-brom-promotion-premier-league-coronavirus/?fbclid=IwAR12F2NTWLPNMFd4B26k4iVejsPFRiseavcOVnh3dlra5vjnSxBv7ckDf3M

Edited by yehbutnobut

25 minutes ago, yehbutnobut said:

Article from talk sport

Liverpool set to be handed title, Leeds and West Brom to get promotion for 22-team season – Premier League ‘plans’ emerge after coronavirus halts campaign:

https://talksport.com/football/682510/liverpool-premier-league-title-leeds-west-brom-promotion-premier-league-coronavirus/?fbclid=IwAR12F2NTWLPNMFd4B26k4iVejsPFRiseavcOVnh3dlra5vjnSxBv7ckDf3M

While that's an option, I'm unsure how logistically easy that'll be the for the levels below the PL. I'm aware there's an argument that its fairer on Leeds and WBA, tbf.

I'm guessing a key part of how we will proceed may well depend on whether UEFA decide to push back the Euros. Personally I think they should bin the Nations League, which they're due to be doing in the autumn international break, but I'm aware they're not gonna be keen on doing that.

There are suggestions elsewhere UEFA want a euro wide consensus i.e. they don't want say the Premier league being settled this way, Italy being voided, Spain finishes the games at a later date etc..

I can't see there being an issue if Liverpool are given the title, not many will complain about that one.

The issue will be Champions league placing, relegation, promotion to the premier league. 

It's also going down the pyramid, promotion to the league from the national league.

I would still favour starting next season later, finish this season off and binning the FA Cup/carabao cup for one season. Then that will free up around 10 dates for extra league games.

I just can’t see how they can honour Liverpool by giving the the title (that they obviously deserve), but not honour the other final standings e.g. CL, relegation.

I think Villa having that game in hand has really tied their hands in this, as you simply cannot relegate them for that, essentially punishment for getting to a cup final. If all teams have played equal games, then you could realistically just call the final standings as they are and no team could really complain too much as it would be the fairest option. 

Unless they decide to relegate Norwich and Bournemouth and exclude Villa (due to the game in hand) and promote Leeds and West Brom in their place? 

Edited by st dan

25 minutes ago, st dan said:

I just can’t see how they can honour Liverpool by giving the the title (that they obviously deserve), but not honour the other final standings e.g. CL, relegation.

Yeah, that’s how I see it. Liverpool and Celtic up here won’t want that * recorded after the year they’ve clearly won it fair and square.

Not so much in England with the tv money and parachute payments but in Scotland getting relegated could see a Team go out the game. Our top league splits for the last round of games so all to play for with relegation as you’re playing against  your fellow strugglers.

Dundee Utd will win our championship and have went all in financially to get promoted. Them and many others won’t accept a void season.

14 hours ago, lost said:

There are suggestions elsewhere UEFA want a euro wide consensus i.e. they don't want say the Premier league being settled this way, Italy being voided, Spain finishes the games at a later date etc..

That’s interesting and can see the logic. Things might become clearer tomorrow if they make an early call on scrapping the euros.

Ive got a ticket for our play off game with Israel next week. Still no official word on what’s happening so guessing that will be on tomorrow’s agenda. Obviously the game isn’t happening next week.

On 3/15/2020 at 10:56 AM, eFestivals said:

not sure that can happen, unfortunately - unless all players agree to having no say over their employment, otherwise it'd be contrary to employment/restraint of trade laws.

In quieter times there might be changes of legislation to allow it, but I can't really see govt fucking around with employment laws to the benefit of corporate footie in a time of crisis.

Yeah I agree with that - no laws will change but I guess if the idea is the season gets finished (or playoff type situation) in June/July they could always agree 1-2 month extensions with players who want to, with these players able to agree to sign pre contracts to leave after that as they can to clubs abroad in January.

A PL rule of not letting clubs register new players for the games should take care of any rule bending, which would be fair I think. 

And as an Everton fan, I not only think Liverpool should be given the title out of fairness, I also think it would be more trouble than its worth not doing so, considering how extreme their fanbase can be...there'd be crowds out in solidarity protesting outside Anfield etc if they were unfairly not given it

Edited by efcfanwirral

2 hours ago, kaosmark2 said:

None at all. Makes me want to see them relegated.

Recent results indicates they were beginning to scrape their way over the line.

I noted another PL club at the wrong end wanted a voided season as well as those associated with West Ham, but don't remember whom.

7 hours ago, Wooderson said:

Footie is goosed for years lads. Everything needs to change. Contracts/windows/schedules/tournaments. 

Agreed. Though with the 2022 World Cup being a November/December tournament, there is an option to re-align in accordance with that on an at least temporary basis. But whether that's doable or practical is another question.

Certainly, this is going to be difficult. As most footballer contracts expire June 30, there's going to have to be a FIFA judgement alongside this to rule on what to do. I believe there's talk a meeting on it is coming.

9 hours ago, Comfy Bean said:

That’s interesting and can see the logic. Things might become clearer tomorrow if they make an early call on scrapping the euros.

Ive got a ticket for our play off game with Israel next week. Still no official word on what’s happening so guessing that will be on tomorrow’s agenda. Obviously the game isn’t happening next week.

Yeah with so many other games on unstable ground, its hard to see Scotland going ahead as well.

I know its been heavily rumoured in advance that the Euros are going to be pushed back, and logically if they can't do the play-off games they can't really press on with an incomplete tournament structure. Though be typical UEFA bullishness if they tried to press on anyway.

Not that I imagine they will, given there's probably pressure to finish the Champions League as well as all the domestic leagues.

24 minutes ago, charlierc said:

I noted another PL club at the wrong end wanted a voided season as well as those associated with West Ham, but don't remember whom.

Spurs