Football 19/20

thetime

Leagues across Europe are getting suspended, and I can't help but think the UK leagues can't stay on forever. Its a surprise such a turn of events hasn't been taken already - even if there is supposed science on the part of the UK government's thinking, its still visibly out of kilter with everyone else, as is being suggested with seemingly more relaxed controls at airports.

Herd immunity isn't a terrible concept but surely its on more stable ground with a vaccine or something like that available?

12 minutes ago, charlierc said:

Herd immunity isn't a terrible concept but surely its on more stable ground with a vaccine or something like that available?

I don't think anyones got a clue to be honest, how long have we been waiting for the Zika virus vaccine? 4 or 5 years and we still don't have one?

If a country does eradicate it quickly and have low exposure in their population how can they make sure no-one from any infected countries fly there via any other countries for that period of time and just reintroduce it.

It does sound like the minute it got out of China that was it.

Edited by lost

5 minutes ago, lost said:

I don't think anyones got a clue to be honest how long have we been waiting for the Zika virus vaccine? 4 or 5 years and we still don't have one?

If a country does eradicate it quickly and have low exposure in their population how can they make sure no-one from any infected countries fly there via any other countries for that period of time and just reintroduce it.

It does sound like the minute it got out of China that was it.

I can sympathise with the last point. It feels like places like Italy, Iran, South Korea, Washington state, etc didn't take seriously enough they might have homegrown epidemics until it had already escalated to that point.

It is a plausible suggestion from the press conference that at least 5,000 people have the virus, which begs the question as to why testing capacity still feels stunted. The Athletic piece shared on the last page suggests football club capacity to test players is being limited, and there are areas where it feels like we might be taking a chance, even if some of the cases turn out to be just flu.

Of course I'm aware it isn't just a football issue. Friends of mine work in motorsport and have gone all the way out for events that are either definitely off (endurance race at Sebring in Florida) or look set to be off (Australian GP F1). Plus as well as the MLS, the US have stopped NBA after player positive tests.

Sadly, it seems like this is going to be a background issue, and as said, there's going to be problems for clubs reliant on gate fees and who are going to be seen as down in priorities of businesses who need rescuing in the financial crisis that looks to be coming over the hill.

33 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

Was it? Or was it AM being AM?

The game played out pretty much as everyone expected it (apart from with the scoreline), with AM being buggers to break down.

Lfc's best performance of 2020. Their keeper played super. 

A team playing defensively and winning isn't an outlier. You just don't like the tactics! They did it in both games and won both games... It wasn't pretty but it worked. More than one way to play and Liverpool will not always be the rampant team they are now. There will be moments when they have to play that way too. Swings and roundabouts. Chelsea did it in 2012 and got past Barca and Bayern to win the big cup. It is what it is.