Football 19/20

thetime

1 hour ago, thetime said:

So it's only 14 days since contact, rather than 14 days in isolation? 

According to the quote above from the club it appears it’s 14 days from contact so once that time is up you can stop self isolating. Although there the first I’ve heard of that being the rule...?

Lineker has just tweeted he thinks the football season maybe over. As the Chancellor has just said he expects 20% of all workers to be off sick at anyone time  it does suggest they are not confident of containing this thing.

3 hours ago, Gnomicide said:

Bit of a bugger the Arsenal game being called off, wanted them to beat City so Liverpool could win on Monday night so whatever happens, no-one can say they title wasn't won 

They could've just played it. The crowds at Citys ground can hardly be described as a mass gathering.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, ThomThomDrum said:

Could it be that Liverpool lose 2 league games in two seasons and end up with no trophy/title?

That would be bizarre

i guess the upside would be an extra year as European champions. :P 

I think they're so far ahead they should get the title anyway. The gap isn't the size of gap that sometimes gets caught, it's much bigger.

12 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

I think they're so far ahead they should get the title anyway. The gap isn't the size of gap that sometimes gets caught, it's much bigger.

By that token they should be relegating Norwich then. 

12 minutes ago, The Nal said:

By that token they should be relegating Norwich then. 

nah. A six points difference does get turned around from this point in the season, sometimes - both at the bottom and at the top. And at the bottom there's still a lot of teams who could theoretically go down.

At the top things are very different. Only City could catch Liverpool, and even that would require suddenly-stunning form from City while Liverpool barely picked up another point. Even the biggest Liverpool haters will admit that looks an impossibility.

If Liverpool were only 6 points clear I wouldn't be saying 'give it to them'.

30 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

If the season gets shut down before they win it mathematically they cant technically award anything really can they? 

And even if they mathematically win it but the league has to shut down without all positions are resolved can they really award titles, positions and relegate teams? 

1 minute ago, ThomThomDrum said:

If the season gets shut down before they win it mathematically they cant technically award anything really can they? 

Probably not, no (tho i'm not 100% sure).

1 minute ago, ThomThomDrum said:

And even if they mathematically win it but the league has to shut down without all positions are resolved can they really award titles, positions and relegate teams? 

As i've just posted, the relegation thing is difficult because it remains undecided who's going down. I hadn't really thought of positions but they can fudge that because it's the money clubs really care about rather than the position (apart from at the top and bottom).

The title is so nearly won, tho, that it's decided already. It would seem cruel not to give it when Liverpool have got such a big lead.

12 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

nah. A six points difference does get turned around from this point in the season, sometimes - both at the bottom and at the top. And at the bottom there's still a lot of teams who could theoretically go down.

At the top things are very different. Only City could catch Liverpool, and even that would require suddenly-stunning form from City while Liverpool barely picked up another point. Even the biggest Liverpool haters will admit that looks an impossibility.

The difficult thing is determining what is a point difference that could get turned around, its very subjective and not defined in the rules.

Just now, ThomThomDrum said:

It would seem so but I wonder if the laws of the game allow for the awarding of titles when a full season is not completed? 🤔

It's not 'the rules of the game', it's the rules of the various leagues - so (in theory) they can vote to change the rules.

I reckon they might have to do something like that anyway. Otherwise, who gets next season's CL places? How is the money for this season dolled out [normally by position]? Can they not-relegate teams without legal challenge from the Championship? 

Exceptional times might need some exceptional measures.

17 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

They can't give any trophies or relegate anyone until its mathematically certain. Similarly with top 4. Utd have a relatively easier looking run in but are 5th. Chelsea still have to play Leicester and Liverpool.

1 minute ago, pink_triangle said:

The difficult thing is determining what is a point difference that could get turned around, its very subjective and not defined in the rules.

You could make a case for 5, 10 or perhaps even 15 points, but probably not the 22 they have. There's probably never been a collapse from a lead like that in the history of football.

City are the only team who could do it ... and hasn't Pep said something about they won't do it, Liverpool are just too far ahead?

There'll be a bun-fight about relegating teams if they end up doing that, but I don't really see why there needs to be one about the title should they decide to award it.

5 minutes ago, The Nal said:

They can't give any trophies or relegate anyone until its mathematically certain. Similarly with top 4. Utd have a relatively easier looking run in but are 5th. Chelsea still have to play Leicester and Liverpool.

yeah, that'll be the problem with all positions apart from the very top - teams arguing that they might have finished in a different spot.

I'm pointing out there isn't that argument about who would finish top.

Just now, eFestivals said:

yeah, that'll be the problem with all positions apart from the very top - teams arguing that they might have finished in a different spot.

I'm pointing out there isn't that argument about who would finish top.

Oh I agree yeah but it would devalue the league and devalue Liverpool winning it if they just gave it to them because they were miles ahead but never crossed the winning line. 

Liverpool champions*

No trophy and medal ceremony, empty stadium, no parade. 

*Awarded trophy as they were probably going to win it anyway.

6 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

there's no value to a whole season wiped out. 

What do they do about top 4 and relegation? Leeds are very very likely getting automatic promotion. Do they keep Norwich in the Premier League and Leeds out? Surely its one process for all? ie finish the leagues now or bin them and start again in August/September. Or postpone and finish in August after the Euros? If they even happen.

I've absolutely no idea.

Edited by The Nal

3 minutes ago, The Nal said:

What do they do about top 4 and relegation? Leeds are very very likely getting automatic promotion. Do they keep Norwich in the Premier League and Leeds out? Surely its one process for all? ie finish the leagues now or bin them and start again in August/September. Or postpone and finish in August after the Euros? If they even happen.

I've absolutely no idea.

I wonder if the best thing (if necessary)  would be to finish off the season if needed and run a shortened league the following season. They could do something where everyone plays each other once, then split the league in 2 to reduce the games.  Of course the TV companies may not be in favour of that idea.

13 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

I wonder if the best thing (if necessary)  would be to finish off the season if needed and run a shortened league the following season. They could do something where everyone plays each other once, then split the league in 2 to reduce the games.  Of course the TV companies may not be in favour of that idea.

That may work as an idea this week but not in a month. Things could be worse in October or November. We haven't a clue.

57 minutes ago, The Nal said:

What do they do about top 4 and relegation?

those sorts of questions are in the mix if they do something, or if they don't do something.

For example, there are going to be teams in next season's CL, so the question "should the same 4 as this season get the places?" is ultimately just another version of "should the current top 4 get the places?"

I'm not claiming to know what the right answers are, but writing off the whole season doesn't really work any better than using current positions. Ultimately someone will be deciding those positions even if the decision is to use last seasons positions.