Football 19/20

thetime

5 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

I find the idea of going on losses a bit strange. Nobody would think a team who drew 38 out of 38 and potentially got relegated was one of the best ever.

That Arsenal invicibles team was something special, even if they got a fair fewer points than a number of teams before and since.

26 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

I find the idea of going on losses a bit strange. Nobody would think a team who drew 38 out of 38 and potentially got relegated was one of the best ever.

Oh sure, I don't really go i for that stuff anyway (era vs era is impossible) but seems a lot of people do. 

27 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

I agree they were special, but that wasnt because they were invincible.  In a world of 3 points for win, I think we need to look at wins, not avoiding losses.

While I agree, I also think flat point totals, or distance from next opponent, aren't the best measures either. The thing about The Invincibles that stands out is what gave them their name. It wasn't a record points total, or a treble, or consecutive titles. They were a truly great team, but the achievement that stands out for them is the unbeaten season.

4 minutes ago, kaosmark2 said:

While I agree, I also think flat point totals, or distance from next opponent, aren't the best measures either. The thing about The Invincibles that stands out is what gave them their name. It wasn't a record points total, or a treble, or consecutive titles. They were a truly great team, but the achievement that stands out for them is the unbeaten season.

I think there were times however that the team played safe for draws (to protect the record)  rather than going for wins. Is that a sign of greatness?  I think the invincibles thing is a bit of a gimmick and simple way to define a great side. I wouldnt however think any less of them if they had lost and won 2 of their draws and ended up with an extra point.

8 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

I think there were times however that the team played safe for draws (to protect the record)  rather than going for wins. Is that a sign of greatness?  I think the invincibles thing is a bit of a gimmick and simple way to define a great side. I wouldnt however think any less of them if they had lost and won 2 of their draws and ended up with an extra point.

Most ways of defining great sides are gimmicky or subjective.

Not every title winning side is great, particularly ones that don't hold the title. There's no other feature about their results that stands out (although plenty about their play). I don't disagree with anything you're saying in itself, but you haven't given any alternative evidence of their greatness to define them by.

I love the cup, Even in dark times it offered a little bit of hope.

As for the invincible's, it was not just the statistic of going unbeaten that was impressive, it was the style in which they achieved it. They were a great team. I remember being at Maine Road one season and they absolutely blew us away in about 20 first half minutes. It was 4-0 in the blink of an eye. Now Maine Road was pretty hostile place, but that performance by the Arsenal team is the only time I ever seen an opposition team get applauded by the home fans. They were truly stunning.

6 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

I’ve just bagged a ticket for one of the Euros semi finals.

The Coronavirus had better not fuck this up.

Friend of mine said he had a ticket for a quarter final match in Rome.

I haven't checked yet if he's still so sure its happening in the wake of Italy closing everything down.

22 hours ago, jyoung said:

Yeah watched the game as did Steve Clarke. 

Product of the relatively new SFA performance schools. He was at the one just down the road from me. Another kid from his year is at Man City.

Id have him in the squad for the Israel play off game. That game heading for a sell out which will make a pleasant change 🙂 

Edited by Comfy Bean

7 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

I’ve just bagged a ticket for one of the Euros semi finals.

The Coronavirus had better not fuck this up.

Had an email earlier that more tickets have been released. Had a peak but bit pricey.

All tickets sold out for England’s final group game. Could be a few made available if Scotland feck up the play offs 🥶

3 minutes ago, Comfy Bean said:

Had an email earlier that more tickets have been released. Had a peak but bit pricey.

All tickets sold out for England’s final group game. Could be a few made available if Scotland feck up the play offs 🥶

I really, really hope Scotland qualify, mainly because I have tickets for England v the qualifier.

Also got England v Croatia which I’m really looking forward to.

3 hours ago, jyoung said:

No Foden tonight in the cup vs Championship side Wednesday.

He played a full 90 minutes on Sunday. He will get minutes over the next few weeks. Our run is insane over the next few weeks. United, Arsenal, Madrid, Chelsea and Liverpool, pretty much one after each other. I would like to think he will start on Sunday.Time to take the stabilisers off.