Football 19/20

thetime

6 hours ago, kaosmark2 said:

That's on the backburner again after the mayor sold the planned site off to developers to build more luxury student housing to remain half empty. 

there's still the chance of an area at filton - a shit idea - but meanwhile, Cardiff have announced plans for a new and bigger arena, and there's not the space for both cardiff and bristol to operate one.

3 hours ago, eFestivals said:

there's still the chance of an area at filton - a shit idea - but meanwhile, Cardiff have announced plans for a new and bigger arena, and there's not the space for both cardiff and bristol to operate one.

Certainly, Sheffield seems to be struggling to get the bookings it used to with Leeds having a newish arena on its doorstep and I think the Sheffield-Leeds distance isn't quite as long a gap as Bristol-Cardiff.

Presumably that means a downgrade for the current Motorpoint Arena as well.

9 hours ago, kaosmark2 said:

That's on the backburner again after the mayor sold the planned site off to developers to build more luxury student housing to remain half empty. 

Well... That does limit the ability to build said new arena.

1 hour ago, jyoung said:

Fight to stay in the Prem looks like it will be an entertaining end to the season. Anyone up to Brighton is a contender to go down imo.

I'm not sure Newcastle, who are 3 points clear of Brighton, are totally out of it. 1 win in 9 is nerve inducing.

I got a reminder that 5 years ago this weekend, John Carver's Newcastle won a game against Villa to move 13 points clear of the relegation zone, then duly lost 9 out of the next 10 matches.

18 minutes ago, thetime said:

Win tomorrow and we are only 35 points behind...

:D

It was always going to happen at some point, my prediction was against Palace at home when that game could have won it. Not entirely surprising I guess, going unbeaten was very unlikely. 

Disappointing day at the office that. Watford were the better team and I don't think we've looked that great for a couple of weeks. Shame to lose the unbeaten streak, need to bounce back next weekend and hopefully do Chelsea over on Tuesday although I'm not expecting Klopp to put out a strong team at all after that

Just now, thetime said:

As a Chelsea fan what is your thoughts on Lampard? I am surprised he has not had any grief from the media, compared to Ole for example.

I think we are pretty much where we should be based on losing Hazard, bleeding in youngsters and suffering a few injuries along the way. Getting spanked by Bayern is par for the course in my opinion but we shouldn't be struggling at Bournemouth, West Ham and Newcastle. We've been weak defending set pieces and I think Frank needs to work on his tactics in terms of defensive play in general. That said, if we were more clinical Infront of goal it wouldn't matter... 

Plenty of fans think we are naff at the moment but more than willing to give Frank time. I think he is getting a lot out of Tammy, Mount and Reece James so. The Kepa thing is a bit weird though, I'm not very impressed by the situation. Ziyech will be an upgrade on Pedro and if we can get another striker in and sort out the defense I think we will be in a better place.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, eastynh said:

So then Phil Foden, MOTM in a major cup final. Ready for England yet?????

Yeah looks a very good player and very composed for his age, but not sure why he'd be pushed into the England side before he's ready.

8 hours ago, Dan R said:

Yeah looks a very good player and very composed for his age, but not sure why he'd be pushed into the England side before he's ready.

Because he is better than all the competitors for an advanced midfield role. 

Who is he up against? Maddison, Mount, Alli and Grealish. None of them would get anywhere near City's first team, which is arguably the best midfield in world football.

When Foden has been on the pitch for England youth teams alongside Mount and Maddison, he has looked head and shoulders above either of them, despite being considerably younger than both. Yesterday you could see he is a far more intelligent footballer than Grealish. He also has a better touch and more composed. 

There is no shame in not playing every week in this City midfield. Gundagon, Bernardo and David Silva do not play every week either.

When England are relying off corners and penalties during the summer and we inevitably go out when we play an half decent team. We will be sat there thinking if only we had a midfielder with a good touch and a bit of composure, someone who can create an opening.  Instead we will have Ross Barkley coming off the bench because he played 15 games for Chelsea this year.

Foden is good enough to make a difference for England. He is just not ready to play every week for the best midfield in world football.