Football 19/20

thetime

15 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

wasn't that just Ramos antics? You don't fall backwards if you're pushed in the back. ;) 

Nah he was moving backwards anyway. The push wasn't enough to move him forward but just enough to stop him jumping high enough to head the ball. Its a clear push regardless. A light shove yeah, but still a foul.

I don't think it'll matter anyway. City are far better.Lowest quality Clasico in recent memory at the weekend.

6 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Nah he was moving backwards anyway. The push wasn't enough to move him forward but just enough to stop him jumping high enough to head the ball. Its a clear push regardless. A light shove yeah, but still a foul.

I don't think it'll matter anyway. City are far better.Lowest quality Clasico in recent memory at the weekend.

to me that wasn't enough of a push to penalise. Ramos wasn't going to get the ball whatever.

21 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

PS: the penalty Sterling won was as much of a fake as a dive for a penalty, tho a fake within the rules. He was playing for the foul and not to win the ball, given away by how he booted the ball out.

Must have been watching Salah and Mane then... Or any player from any other team that does the exact same thing regularly.

22 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

oh, I know. It's an embedded part of the game. I just wish it wasn't.

With VAR it would be easy enough to rule out the ones where the player going over didn't have a chance to reach the ball.

That shouldn't matter. If hes pushed and falls over, didn't have a chance to reach the ball, its still a foul. What if the ball came off the bar and he couldn't react because he was on the ground?

Same with this "not interfering with play" offside rule nonsense. All players on the pitch interfere with play. 

50 minutes ago, The Nal said:

That shouldn't matter. If hes pushed and falls over, didn't have a chance to reach the ball, its still a foul.

I know it's still a foul and I know there's not really any other way to work it.

But it still bugs me that in instances like with Sterling* the other day, the attack was going nowhere yet by gaming the rules his team ends up with a goal.

(* it's just about everyone that does it. I'm not targeting Sterling in particular).

Knowing when to fall over isn't really what football is meant to be about.

26 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

I know it's still a foul and I know there's not really any other way to work it.

But it still bugs me that in instances like with Sterling* the other day, the attack was going nowhere yet by gaming the rules his team ends up with a goal.

(* it's just about everyone that does it. I'm not targeting Sterling in particular).

Knowing when to fall over isn't really what football is meant to be about.

Very true. But it was a rash tackle and if you don't fall over you don't get he foul!

Not sure this is football related really but don't know where to put it. Looks like Manchester is getting the new arena.

Great news for me as it is a 10 minute walk from my house. Also great news for City. The arena in town in shit so as a music fan, a purpose built super arena is great fantastic news imo. The fact it will line City's pocket and is spitting distance from my house is an added bonus.

https://www.ft.com/content/7c133302-58b0-11ea-a528-dd0f971febbc

4 minutes ago, eastynh said:

Not sure this is football related really but don't know where to put it. Looks like Manchester is getting the new arena.

Great news for me as it is a 10 minute walk from my house. Also great news for City. The arena in town in shit so as a music fan, a purpose built super arena is great fantastic news imo. The fact it will line City's pocket and is spitting distance from my house is an added bonus.

Can't see it being any better than all shit big arenas. Give me the Manchester Acadamy any time, death institute is a nice venue as well. 

One of my fave outdoor venues is in Manchester, castlefields bowl. 

14 hours ago, eFestivals said:

oh, I know. It's an embedded part of the game. I just wish it wasn't.

With VAR it would be easy enough to rule out the ones where the player going over didn't have a chance to reach the ball.

Its been that way for years. I can remember pundits back in around 2004 slagging off players who went out of their way to do that, with some even describing it as basically being like another form of simulation, and yet now its such an easy way to grab a penalty.

2 hours ago, eastynh said:

When I was in Manchester for a Bloc Party show last summer, I saw a lot of fliers sponsored by the existing Manchester Arena protesting its construction.

I thought that if Birmingham can sustain two with Coventry and Wolverhampton also having large scale venues in close proximity that Manchester could sustain two. Though I'm aware these 2 would be in much closer proximity than the Birmingham NIA and NEC arenas are, given Manchester Arena isn't really that far from the Etihad area.

Although thinking about it, does Manchester Central still have gigs?

Also shows what I know - I thought the main arena project in the UK was Bristol, with whispers of MSG wanting to build a thing in London

Definitely not football talk now... I'm sure it'll come back to that topic soon enough..

18 minutes ago, charlierc said:

Also shows what I know - I thought the main arena project in the UK was Bristol, 

That's on the backburner again after the mayor sold the planned site off to developers to build more luxury student housing to remain half empty. 

Edited by kaosmark2