Football 19/20

thetime

7 hours ago, TheGayTent said:

How has it seemingly passed people by that the Liverpool owners* effectively waged a war against local residents, drove down house prices, and forced them out of their homes? 
*Started by previous owners but continued by the current owners 

It definitely wasnt passed by, came in for massive scrutiny from fans along with several other mistakes they've made. Generally the criticism has led to improvements, though they still have plenty of issues.

Hence why I'm curious if there is much criticism within the City fanbase towards the owners, most city fans seem to back completely.

On 2/19/2020 at 10:15 PM, Dan R said:

I think FSG have done a great job as owners of liverpool (great on the pitch, new main stand, new training facilities), but theres been plenty of reasons to be critical of them and it's fair to criticise them for that. They ticket price walk out was the main thing that's comes to mind.

For the sake of argument, say City are found to have mishandled finances and get a ban from Europe, surely that's worthy, thats surely worthy of scrutiny from fans? Or does all the success give them a pass?

Dan I am against FFP full stop. I don't agree with it at all. I would be fully in favour of a salary cap and transfer cap. Lets even the field out totally. The problem is that United and Liverpool don't want a level playing field, they want the cards stacked in their favour. Its all about making money. The television companies get more views for United and Liverpool as they have the most fans. A successful United and Liverpool is good for their finances. Same for the media. Stories about them 2 clubs get the most clicks. Negative stories about City are also good for the balance, there has to be a bad guy in every story. United and Liverpool at the top is good business. None of them want City or anyone else upsetting the apple cart. Just look at the reception to Liverpool romping away with the league this year. Everything is positive, where as it was negative when City did it 2 years ago.

As for Liverpools owners, I don't know anything about the housing thing so can't comment on it. They are no angels though or paragons of virtue. They have accepted sponsorship form Standard Charter, who have been fined heavily for laundering terrorist and other seedy characters money. Morality is down the list of priorities for Liverpools owners. There is also the recent Boston Red Sox cheating scandal that has occurred on their watch. Then there is the fact Liverpool have been stealing confidential information from City's databases. Neil just brushed it under the carpet and actually blamed City for it. Yet it reality that is far worse than City have alleged to have done. Thats happened on Liverpools owners watch.

On 2/20/2020 at 6:58 AM, eFestivals said:

they make 100% clear that City execs know that Ehihad isn't the body that's funding the Etihad deal, and that instead the funding is coming from the owner.

There's fuck all that's uncertain about that, whether or not the whole circumstances are inside or outside of the FFP rules.

The funding is not coming from the owner. Its coming from the Abu Dhabi executive council, not Sheikh Mansour.

On 2/20/2020 at 7:05 AM, eFestivals said:

The Fall. New Order., Buzzcocks. The Charlatans. Courteeners. James?

Nope, City are the best Manchester banned.

(shamelessly nicked from elsewhere :D )

Only one of them bands is from Manchester. Even in that band the lead singer is from Leeds.

On 2/20/2020 at 10:17 AM, TheGayTent said:

That’s not what I remember Woody’s mates reporting.

Other clubs owners are bad so Liverpool’s get a free pass? 

Neil is pro Liverpool and anti City. 

On 2/20/2020 at 10:34 AM, Gnomicide said:

Anything exciting, Easty? Not usually anything music wise on in Liverpool that doesn't also get a night in Manchester. 

No mate. My mate from Uni is a a Scouser. He comes up here for Everton - City and I go to Goodison for the return. We also meet up a couple of times a year for food. It was time for a catch up last night.

Edited by eastynh

10 hours ago, eastynh said:

The funding is not coming from the owner. Its coming from the Abu Dhabi executive council, not Sheikh Mansour.

and the City execs knew that was the case, so they knew the Etihad deal was a fake. "related interests".

I can see why those very-high-reputation judges (not UEFA) found City guilty of breaking UEFA's rules.

Now it's down to City to prove the Ehihad deal wasn't a fake if they want to stand on the moral high ground* - but I reckon that'll be difficult seeing as the City execs knew that Etihad wasn't funding the deal itself (which is clear from the emails).

(* they don't stand on the moral high ground if they try to get the case thrown out on a technicality)

10 hours ago, eastynh said:

Neil is pro Liverpool and anti City. 

Neil is anti big-money being everything about the game. :rolleyes: 

If you hadn't only turned up here when City started winning things you'd know that. I've been saying the same sort of stuff here for 20 years.

And Neil is pro there being a meaningful regulation regime no matter what the actual regulations are (within reason, of course) - which there cannot be if City use many of the excuses you've said and succeed with them. You don't even accept UEFA's right to have rules for its own competitions that teams have to comply with.

There much bigger stuff here than your take of "my club should be allowed to do whatever the fuck it wants". Perhaps if you stopped with the me-me-me stuff for a moment you might actually see it.

1 hour ago, eFestivals said:

and the City execs knew that was the case, so they knew the Etihad deal was a fake. "related interests".

I can see why those very-high-reputation judges (not UEFA) found City guilty of breaking UEFA's rules.

Now it's down to City to prove the Ehihad deal wasn't a fake if they want to stand on the moral high ground* - but I reckon that'll be difficult seeing as the City execs knew that Etihad wasn't funding the deal itself (which is clear from the emails).

(* they don't stand on the moral high ground if they try to get the case thrown out on a technicality)

Neil is anti big-money being everything about the game. :rolleyes: 

If you hadn't only turned up here when City started winning things you'd know that. I've been saying the same sort of stuff here for 20 years.

And Neil is pro there being a meaningful regulation regime no matter what the actual regulations are (within reason, of course) - which there cannot be if City use many of the excuses you've said and succeed with them. You don't even accept UEFA's right to have rules for its own competitions that teams have to comply with.

There much bigger stuff here than your take of "my club should be allowed to do whatever the fuck it wants". Perhaps if you stopped with the me-me-me stuff for a moment you might actually see it.

Neil I will explain it to you in simple terms. There is absolutely nothing at all against FFP regulations that says the national governement of any nation can't fulfill the financial obligations of its national airline. Nothing, not a single thing.

The whole UEFA case seems to be because they believe stolen emails show Sheikh Mansour gave Etihad the money. Thats not the case.

It does not matter where Etihad got its money as long as it did not originate from Sheikh Mansour.

What part of that concept are you finding difficult to understand?

12 hours ago, eastynh said:

Dan I am against FFP full stop. I don't agree with it at all. I would be fully in favour of a salary cap and transfer cap. Lets even the field out totally. The problem is that United and Liverpool don't want a level playing field, they want the cards stacked in their favour. Its all about making money. The television companies get more views for United and Liverpool as they have the most fans. A successful United and Liverpool is good for their finances. Same for the media. Stories about them 2 clubs get the most clicks. Negative stories about City are also good for the balance, there has to be a bad guy in every story. United and Liverpool at the top is good business. None of them want City or anyone else upsetting the apple cart. Just look at the reception to Liverpool romping away with the league this year. Everything is positive, where as it was negative when City did it 2 years ago.

Fair enough you're against FFP, I know there's a lot of people who are. I'm guessing that means you won't hold it against them if it is found that they broke those rules. I wouldn't be opposed to some kind of salary cap but it would be immensely complicated to implement across multiple countries and leagues when you have to consider different currencies and tax rates.

Not sure I agree with the fact that it was negative for City two years ago, I remember a lot of talk about them being the greatest ever premier league side, and this year theres an awful lot about how rigged/weak/tainted the league in Liverpool's favour.

No one's come close to saying Liverpool's owners are perfect and moral, not sure where you've got that impression (I've glossed over a lot of the last 15 pages so I may have missed some stuff)

29 minutes ago, zahidf said:

You dont have to be anti city to think that they broke the rules and have been rightly punished.  

I quite like the club and football they play, but the owners have clearly broken the FFP rules. 

No need being a fandemuntalist about Mansour.

Show me what rules they have broken and how they have done it.

13 hours ago, pink_triangle said:

Seems a mad rule that your allowed to take a teams best player and they are then not allowed to replace.

Yeah. Tbf I imagine there's a few Spurs fans jealous they get such a luxury option given they have Harry Kane and Son missing for the rest of the season. But its odd La Liga allows for this, and having allowed it, told Leganes it didn't have the same luck.

On 2/21/2020 at 8:06 AM, zahidf said:

Sounds familiar

There was a strange case back in November 2018 where some Man City fans defended the UAE government for the jailing of a British student accused of being an MI6 spy. It probably didn't help one of the first people who lead a "Boycott Man City" reaction to the case was Piers Morgan, who is... well, Piers Morgan, and I'm aware not every Man City fan either jumped in with this viewpoint or got involved full stop. But it was still unusual to see bona fide Tweets with that kind of response on social media, some of which was probably genuine and not satirical.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Dan R said:

Fair enough you're against FFP, I know there's a lot of people who are. I'm guessing that means you won't hold it against them if it is found that they broke those rules. I wouldn't be opposed to some kind of salary cap but it would be immensely complicated to implement across multiple countries and leagues when you have to consider different currencies and tax rates.

I would argue the main barrier is that those who benefit from the current system are those that have the power to block any changes.