Football 19/20

thetime

1 minute ago, The Nal said:

He shouldn't be allowed near a football pitch.

He reminds me of Evan's, needs to get away as his confidence is shot. 

Fergie, Moyes, van gaal, jose and ole have all picked him. You can tell once he goes onto the pitch he knows he is going to get slaughtered.

I thought he did ok last night, better than maguire anyway.

4 minutes ago, thetime said:

He reminds me of Evan's, needs to get away as his confidence is shot. 

Fergie, Moyes, van gaal, jose and ole have all picked him. You can tell once he goes onto the pitch he knows he is going to get slaughtered.

I thought he did ok last night, better than maguire anyway.

Yeah he can be, ok, at times but hes been at the club for 9 seasons now. Surely in that time they could've found someone better.

But yeah, we're back to recruitment.

10 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Well first they need to give a manager time and support. At the minute we have players from 5 different managers, all with different ideas how to play the game. How is that going to work?

3 hours ago, The Nal said:

Yeah he can be, ok, at times but hes been at the club for 9 seasons now. Surely in that time they could've found someone better.

If it’s down to recruitment, that would suggest the likes of Robertson, wijnaldum and Fabinho would have performed well if Man Utd had signed them, my strong suspicion is they would have been flops.

37 minutes ago, charlierc said:

If Pulis was in charge they could now coast to the finish line after meeting their main ambition.

Will be interesting to see how Klopp manages the squad in the run in. League in the bag so does he rotate in games either side of champs league games. Tactically resting folk even if it means dropping points.

Imagine he fancies the league/champs league double.

57 minutes ago, Comfy Bean said:

Will be interesting to see how Klopp manages the squad in the run in. League in the bag so does he rotate in games either side of champs league games. Tactically resting folk even if it means dropping points.

Imagine he fancies the league/champs league double.

Possibly. Atletico is a difficult first knockout round tie to land in the draw, but I can imagine there are many in the Liverpool end who think that they can give the PL/UCL double a great go.

Yeah there's been Newcastle takeover rumours going on for years. And as much as Mike Ashley is doing a crap job overall and will have to leave eventually, I'm not inclined to believe any advance billing. If there's any wealthy individual holding a Mags scarf with bland platitudes about the uniting power of football and the opportunity of the Premier League, maybe then I'll believe it.

2 hours ago, eFestivals said:

yup, and they always come round in the transfer windows when Ashley isn't spending. Odd, isn't it?

Its nothing if not consistent.

Not that we can say Newcastle's squad isn't in need of investment - Joelinton is struggling to adapt while Muto, Gayle & Carroll all seem injury prone, meaning lack of threat up-front, plus lack of depth to Almiron and Saint-Maximin, and now Willems/Dummett both out for the season means lack of left-backs.

Although even so, a very strong Newcastle 11 should be doing much better than a 0-0 draw at home to League One Oxford United.

41 minutes ago, charlierc said:

Its nothing if not consistent.

Not that we can say Newcastle's squad isn't in need of investment - Joelinton is struggling to adapt while Muto, Gayle & Carroll all seem injury prone, meaning lack of threat up-front, plus lack of depth to Almiron and Saint-Maximin, and now Willems/Dummett both out for the season means lack of left-backs.

Although even so, a very strong Newcastle 11 should be doing much better than a 0-0 draw at home to League One Oxford United.

Sell Perez for £20m, turn down Rondon for £12m, buy Joelinton for £40m. Genius work in the transfer market. Replace 19 goals from last season with 1 so far this.

26 minutes ago, kaosmark2 said:

Sell Perez for £20m, turn down Rondon for £12m, buy Joelinton for £40m. Genius work in the transfer market. Replace 19 goals from last season with 1 so far this.

I thought Perez went for £30M and Rondon woulda been £16M, but agreed - they were a good partnership last season and replacing them with Joelinton was a total false economy. There's an argument he's being used out of position and is more of a winger or CAM than outright striker, but its not really working for him there.

42 minutes ago, pryce said:

Just got back from the new meadow... What a performance! Proud salopian 

Shrewsbury deserved that, and probably more. We were far too complacent after the second went in and the senior players didn't really turn up. Great support too! You stand a good chance in the replay if you play with the same desire...

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/jurgen-klopp-liverpool-fa-cup-17635037 

It will be interesting to see how this pans out, not just for Liverpool but the other Premier League teams who need replays.

There is already hyperbolic cries of "disgrace" etc. on social media and as a Liverpool fan I'd obviously prefer we put out a team that can see off Shrewsbury but...

In a letter sent to clubs from the Premier League in March, teams were told they were "expected to honour and respect the underlining rationale for the mid-season player break, namely to provide their players with a break from the physical and mental rigours of playing matches during the season. Clubs should not arrange competitive or friendly matches with other clubs during the mid-season player break,"