Football 19/20

thetime

Speaking as a Newcastle fan, the 3 best strikers the Prem has seen are Henry, Aguero, and Drogba. The others often weren't the main penalty taker in their team, and scored big goals in big games that won them trophies. I'd also argue they contributed more variety in play, to the extent they didn't need the team built around them.

Shearer's goalscoring record stands up to the others when you factor in that he was playing for Newcastle (although we were a top 4 team for much of his time), but he didn't bring as much to the team apart from elbows in defenders' faces.

23 hours ago, kaosmark2 said:

Shearer's goalscoring record stands up to the others when you factor in that he was playing for Newcastle (although we were a top 4 team for much of his time), but he didn't bring as much to the team apart from elbows in defenders' faces.

3 top four finishes in his 10 seasons. Then 5th, 7th, 11th x 2, 13th x 2, 14th and then he retired and you got relegated shortly after. 

Same thing happened at Blackburn after he won them the league a couple of seasons previously. 

58 minutes ago, The Nal said:

3 top four finishes in his 10 seasons. Then 5th, 7th, 11th x 2, 13th x 2, 14th and then he retired and you got relegated shortly after. 

Same thing happened at Blackburn after he won them the league a couple of seasons previously. 

We got relegated cos Souness tore apart the young squad Sir Bobby built and signed a load of 28-31 year old crocks. Shearer's retirement wasn't the only factor and could have easily been planned for.

I should have said top 5 though, you're right.

I think Souness' appointment was the starting point from which Newcastle's descent from Champions League to Championship, even if there'd been problems in the 5th place finish in 2003-04. But yeah - Shearer's retirement wasn't well planned for, too much was expected of the fitness of Owen and Ameobi (and later Viduka), Roeder-Allardyce-Keegan-Kinnear indicated a random managerial philosophical belief, and 2008-09 in and of itself was a total clusterfuck.

On 1/14/2020 at 1:05 PM, thetime said:

There is a few more that can be put in the greatest in the prem era than just Shearer and aguero. 

Likes of Bergkamp, Henry, van nistelrooy for example. It was not to long ago when even pep didn't rate aguero to much.

All great players. Bergkamp is my fave none City player. Not sure he can be put in the goal scorer bracket like the others though.

3 hours ago, bobohex said:

What do you think of the new Barcelona coaches? What are the chances of success?

Suppose he had to go after the collapses against Roma and Liverpool. They really have a huge job ahead of them in the next 2-3 years. Looking at ages of the players.

Rakitic 31
Busquets 31
Suarez 33
Messi 32
Alba 30
Vidal 32
Pique 33

23 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Suppose he had to go after the collapses against Roma and Liverpool. They really have a huge job ahead of them in the next 2-3 years. Looking at ages of the players.

Rakitic 31
Busquets 31
Suarez 33
Messi 32
Alba 30
Vidal 32
Pique 33

imagine having to be the geezer who tells these club legends their time has come.

So along with him being about 15th choice as they publicly hawked the job around unemployed and employed managers, I can't see him lasting long.

Edited by eFestivals

19 hours ago, thetime said:

I'm with you on that one, my fave non united player. 

To think Le Tissier, Gascoigne and Shearer all could've played for Utd at the same time if thinks worked out slightly differently. 

19 hours ago, eFestivals said:

imagine having to be the geezer who tells these club legends their time has come.

So along with him being about 15th choice as they publicly hawked the job around unemployed and employed managers, I can't see him lasting long.

They don't tend to last long there yeah. Thats 5 managers now since Guardiola left.

I'd imagine they're lining up a a transition period - already some good young players in there with Dembele, De Jong, Melo and even Stegen - and then hire Xavi.  

Edited by The Nal

48 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

How many would be club legends? Definitely Messi, Pique and Busquets. Definitely not Vidal and Rakitic.

1 minute ago, The Nal said:

Both I suppose. 6 seasons at Barca, 4 leagues, 4 cups and a Champions League. 191 goals in 270 games. He scored 59 for them in one season! 

Hes out for the rest of the season. Will be badly missed.

I'd have thought at 6/7 seasons and having built his reputation elsewhere he's not necessarily a club one. Dunno, I just thought I'd ask the question.

No doubt he's utter class.

1 minute ago, kaosmark2 said:

I'd have thought at 6/7 seasons and having built his reputation elsewhere he's not necessarily a club one. Dunno, I just thought I'd ask the question.

No doubt he's utter class.

He's fourth in their all time scorers list, will almost definitely make third (and potentially 2nd depending on his recovery). Doing that in five and a half season's is phenomenal. 

Plus those years of peak MSN really was something special to watch, probably the best front three I've seen in my lifetime imo.

All fair points, i just instinctively think of a club legend as someone who only has one club that defines their career and success. 

That said, christiano ronaldo is clearly a Madrid legend despite his success at ManU before, so I'm probably just being overly picky about it. 

1 hour ago, kaosmark2 said:

All fair points, i just instinctively think of a club legend as someone who only has one club that defines their career and success. 

That said, christiano ronaldo is clearly a Madrid legend despite his success at ManU before, so I'm probably just being overly picky about it. 

Sure you have your Xavis and Iniestas and Messis and Maldinis and Giggs and Gerrards but they're rare. That Barca team was unique in having so many. Puyol too.

Ronaldo was at Madrid for 9 years. Thats plenty. And speaking of crazy stats - 438 games, 450 goals. Fucking hell. 

1 minute ago, The Nal said:

Sure you have your Xavis and Iniestas and Messis and Maldinis and Giggs and Gerrards but they're rare. That Barca team was unique in having so many. Puyol too.

Ronaldo was at Madrid for 9 years. Thats plenty. And speaking of crazy stats - 438 games, 450 goals. Fucking hell. 

Oh yeah, I wasn't going all the way to only the one-club players, I'd clearly class Henry, Shearer, Ronaldo as club legends. 

I just wonder if Suarez will be up there with those likes, or more akin to a Ronaldinho type legend.