Football 19/20

thetime

3 hours ago, eFestivals said:

so what they're saying is that the accuracy available with VAR shouldn't be bothered with, and that football is happy with inaccurate decisions by the ref.

So what's the point with VAR, again? :P 

PS: the Prem has already said that they won't change how they're operating VAR this season, else there'll be inconsistencies created by the use of VAR (which would probably much bigger than not having VAR in the first place, seeing as 21 goals have been deemed wrong by the ref and corrected by VAR so far this season).

Its a very strange procedure - we moaned about offsides before VAR, now we moan about them in a very different sense all because of one marginal change. At the end of the day, I think the boundary is in definition - it used to be the case that the dominant thread was for there to be benefit of the doubt to attacking players in marginal calls and it very much looks that VAR is being used in such a way that its very much a defensive benefit.

Certainly, I do agree that a mid-season pivot would be problematic and lead to further questions about how its used. So they're kinda stuffed with this flawed interpretation of how to use it until next season.

I suppose its different to some degree - when they brought VAR to the last men's World Cup, the main thing was the fact VAR gave an absurd amount of penalties. Whereas its not really been used as much for that since its arrival in the PL.

Meanwhile, I know VAR has been introduced to a couple of other European leagues and I think its also in the MLS. Has anywhere else had such an awkward introduction?

20 hours ago, charlierc said:

Has anywhere else had such an awkward introduction?

I'm pretty sure everywhere is saying "we're doing it wrong, we should be doing it like they are in <pick random country>".

Anyway, turns out football fans don't think wrong decisions are ruining the game after all. Who knew? :D 

Edited by eFestivals

I have heard some people state that before VAR the linesman would occasionally get marginal decisions wrong, therefore nothing has really changed. 

To me the big difference is when the linesman got it wrong, the decision is at least made straight away, either the flag is up, or it stays down. A big part of scoring a goal was the emotion and the celebration, in a VAR world this has been sucked out, as muted celebrations while the players wait for confirmation.

14 hours ago, eFestivals said:

I'm pretty sure everywhere is saying "we're doing it wrong, we should be doing it like they are in <pick random country>".

Anyway, turns out football fans don't think wrong decisions are ruining the game after all. Who knew? :D 

Its funny that towards the end of last season, a lot of people were going "Refs suck, bring on VAR" and now many of the same people seem to be going "We fucked up go back".

3 minutes ago, charlierc said:

Its funny that towards the end of last season, a lot of people were going "Refs suck, bring on VAR" and now many of the same people seem to be going "We fucked up go back".

About half of the people on here were very sceptical before.

2 minutes ago, kaosmark2 said:

About half of the people on here were very sceptical before.

I'm not saying there wasn't dissent towards VAR before - I wasn't really posting in the football threads beforehand here but I believe I saw a fair wedge of dissatisfaction when it was declared the PL was bringing it in. But even so, I think it was broadly seen as something that would work, even accounting for a penalty-happy VAR at the last World Cup.

There's gonna be teething problems but its something how big a backlash its getting, and how bizarrely inconsistent its application has so far been.

8 hours ago, charlierc said:

I'm not saying there wasn't dissent towards VAR before - I wasn't really posting in the football threads beforehand here but I believe I saw a fair wedge of dissatisfaction when it was declared the PL was bringing it in. But even so, I think it was broadly seen as something that would work, even accounting for a penalty-happy VAR at the last World Cup.

There's gonna be teething problems but its something how big a backlash its getting, and how bizarrely inconsistent its application has so far been.

it's not been inconsistent.

All the marginal offsides get the same treatment, all handballs get the same treatment, etc, etc.

As far as consistency goes they've been doing a really good job.

Half the problem is people making up their own VAR rules, but that's fan stupidity and not VAR.

PS: was always against VAR, and still am.

Edited by eFestivals

I think most people would be in favour of the odd wrong decision if it means we can keep the goal. VAR is ruining the purest thing in all of sports which is a goal. Its what you see kids celebrating for on the street when they score in between the jumpers and what you see old men jumping out of their seats to celebrate. 

Even the most obvious looking goals now can be reviewed and chalked off so players look like complete tits celebrating them. 

This poor fucker. 19 years old, bangs in his first goal, Kop end against the best team about and then its cancelled.

WPXGPPZI4JEDHFJQLRYAHCFULI.jpg

18 hours ago, Wooderson said:

Im quoting Lolly in his postmatch.

Ah missed that. Is that what he said?! lol

Edited by The Nal
  • Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, The Nal said:

I think most people would be in favour of the odd wrong decision if it means we can keep the goal.

so what you mean is you're OK with dodgy goals in your favour, but not dodgy goals against you? :P 

12 minutes ago, The Nal said:

This poor fucker. 19 years old, bangs in his first goal, Kop end against the best team about and then its cancelled.

and yet it was offside by the consistent way they've worked offside thru VAR this season.

There's always a line for offside, and either you're offside or you're not.