Football 19/20

thetime

7 minutes ago, thetime said:

You should just enjoy what your team is achieving.

I am, but the whole conspiracy theory thing is making it all the more enjoyable. Don't get me wrong, I'm very aware Liverpool has more than its fair share of crank supporters but this is great to watch.

4 hours ago, charlierc said:

There's a strange circular arc that West Ham binned Moyes to move forward, and now look set to bring him back.

Meanwhile, I know its almost by-the-by at this point to complain VAR is being over-used for aggressive policing of offsides, but blimey yesterday took the piss.

Notes seems the ultimate underwhelming choice. Maybe Big Sam and Pardew would be worse to bring back for a second time.

9 minutes ago, jyoung said:

Agreed. How do we fix this offside issue though?

My easy fix would be get rid of VAR all together. The level of accuracy is making the game worse not better, it is sucking the emotion out of the most emotional sport, it also creates ridiculous situations where teams have to play on when a linesman flags just in case it gets reversed.

When the offside rule was brought in it was not to stop goals like wolves just scored. Before VAR nobody would have moaned about that goal being given. It is creating a solution for a problem that doesn't exist.

• Like 1

They need to change the law to where the player's feet are, easy to see, no weird lines drawn on screen plus people will have to accept that offside is offside, no matter the distance. You can't say goals should count if a player if 1 meter off but not if they're 2 centimetres. 

3 hours ago, pink_triangle said:

Notes seems the ultimate underwhelming choice. Maybe Big Sam and Pardew would be worse to bring back for a second time.

Indeed.

Maybe not Pardew as he's got a job in the Netherlands but it does seem peculiar they're going to their discards pile.

1 hour ago, thetime said:

When did the hand become an offside body part? You can only be offside with a legal scoring body part.

That's part of the problem with it - it feels like the offside law has been changed to make VAR work and its ended up having being interpreted to such a hyper-sensitive approach. The one in the Southampton v Palace game is a particular example of such strange use of the arm as a judge.

Its almost like making VAR work has lead to an overnight re-writing of the offside law to give the benefit of the doubt to the defence, and I don't think its what they had in mind when VAR was being devised as an option. But I just don't think there's an easy fix - if we got rid of it, you'd soon enough have people complaining we got rid of it when something that would've benefitted from its presence happens. There were always going to be teething problems in its first year of introduction, but its just got to a weird direction.

20 minutes ago, ThomThomDrum said:

Found myself agreeing with Souness today when he suggested that a player should be deemed onside if any part of his body is onside and so the rule would benefit attacking/entertaining play.... not a perfect solution, but I’d think most would agree with that approach no? 

No, not ANY part of their body, players would just stand there with their arms stretched out, effectively giving the attacking side a huge advantage on free kicks floated into the box.

14 hours ago, jyoung said:

Agreed. How do we fix this offside issue though?

offside is an arbitrary line, so there's no 'fix' unless offside is binned entirely. You're either the wrong or the right side of that line.

I don't have a problem with the fine lines being used (as with wolves yesterday) as long as it's being done in a consistent way (and it is). As examples, Liverpool have had two goals chalked off for the same fine line.

Mind you, I'm against VAR entirely. It's spoiling the game and not making anyone happier, much as I thought it would.

9 hours ago, ThomThomDrum said:

Found myself agreeing with Souness today when he suggested that a player should be deemed onside if any part of his body is onside and so the rule would benefit attacking/entertaining play.... not a perfect solution, but I’d think most would agree with that approach no? 

no. It only makes sense by comparing to the law as it is now.

For any other view it changes nothing, because they'd be the same complaints for a millimetre the wrong side of the new line. 

1 hour ago, eFestivals said:

For any other view it changes nothing, because they'd be the same complaints for a millimetre the wrong side of the new line. 

Yes I agree with this.

I dont think it should be used for offside personally, when you are offside by a mm VAR shouldn't be interfering. 

Same with the Norwich goal against Spurs the other night. 

VAR is spoiling it at all angles, from the match going fan/footballers/tv viewer. VAR is here to stay and fans need to get used to it.

21 minutes ago, thetime said:

when you are offside by a mm VAR shouldn't be interfering. 

that's illogical, captain. :P 

If you're not offside when it's a few millimetres what you've really done is moved the line by a few millimetres, and then there's still going to be 'offside by a few millimetres' to the new line.

The very point with offside is that you're either offside or you're not. - and that's *always* done with a line drawn somewhere.

11 hours ago, charlierc said:

IFAB have come out saying VAR is being used too aggressively for offsides and that it should only be used for a clear/obvious mistake.

Which begs the question if we'll see an immediately changed approach for the NYD games, or if they'll carry on muppeting as they have done this weekend.

so what they're saying is that the accuracy available with VAR shouldn't be bothered with, and that football is happy with inaccurate decisions by the ref.

So what's the point with VAR, again? :P 

PS: the Prem has already said that they won't change how they're operating VAR this season, else there'll be inconsistencies created by the use of VAR (which would probably much bigger than not having VAR in the first place, seeing as 21 goals have been deemed wrong by the ref and corrected by VAR so far this season).

Edited by eFestivals

2 hours ago, eFestivals said:

PS: the Prem has already said that they won't change how they're operating VAR this season, else there'll be inconsistencies created by the use of VAR (which would probably much bigger than not having VAR in the first place, seeing as 21 goals have been deemed wrong by the ref and corrected by VAR so far this season).

And 3 or 4 of them were wrong decisions which is about the average before VAR. Don't want to be one of the dramatic ones saying its ruining the game, but.... err..... it is.  

Not much point in watching football anymore. Just wait till the end of the game to see if the goals were allowed and if there were any good ones just watch them online quickly.