Football 19/20

thetime

I've digested this over night and I think Levy was in a lose-lose position. Keep Poch and get accused over never really going for it whilst having the best squad spurs have had in decades or sack him and get abused for being flippant.

It's becoming quite clear what Mourinho does though, I was probably ignorant in thinking that when he came to Man Utd it would all be different but time and time again he chooses jobs where he knows he'll get sacked and a high payout within a couple of years. Everyone knows this is a match made in hell, and for all the philosophical chatter Mourinho has been spouting in the media he's once again picked a job in which he is doomed to fail (football wise anyway, maybe not financially). We've seen in recent months Poch moaning about his position as manager, suggested that he's a coach rather than a manager and he has no say in transfers, and we all know Mourinho's position when he doesn't get the financial backing or the players that he wants. It will start out rosey enough, hell he might even win a trophy or two but it will get sour very quickly, possibly just after he signs a contract extension, moan about the players he has / hasn't got. But in the end, Levy had to make a push and get some success on the pitch and that's what he'll get but the shell of a squad Mourinho will leave behind will cost spurs in the long run.

18 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

It's all relative, the main reason they haven't won trophies is the teams who spent more have been winning them.

To a degree yeah but Leicester didn't spend more, Wigan didn't spend more, Portsmouth didn't spend more, Shakhtar Donetsk didn't spend more.

Seems harsh though in one way. League finishes of 3rd, 2nd, 3rd, 4th having only finished top 4 twice before that in the Prem era. But then again, they've lost 18 games in 2019 in all comps. 

5 hours ago, The Nal said:

To a degree yeah but Leicester didn't spend more, Wigan didn't spend more, Portsmouth didn't spend more, Shakhtar Donetsk didn't spend more.

I think that's using exceptions to prove a rule. The English domestic trophies have been dominated by top 4 richest clubs and Spurs have never been in that group.

You could possibly argue that they haven't taken opportunities, Harry (best forward in the world) Kane has often flopped in the big games.

18 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

I think that's using exceptions to prove a rule. The English domestic trophies have been dominated by top 4 richest clubs and Spurs have never been in that group.

You could possibly argue that they haven't taken opportunities, Harry (best forward in the world) Kane has often flopped in the big games.

Yeah. Some good players at the club. Very interested to see how Mourinho has them playing. Certainly shouldn't be out of the top 4 race already anyway. 

Wouldn't be surprised to see Mourinho go win the Champions League with them.

1 hour ago, The Nal said:

Yeah. Some good players at the club. Very interested to see how Mourinho has them playing. Certainly shouldn't be out of the top 4 race already anyway. 

Wouldn't be surprised to see Mourinho go win the Champions League with them.

I'd be shocked on both counts.

Maybe I should just be satisfied to be there, but the way they are deciding these groups does not seem very fair. In my view once you get into the tournament there should be an equal chance of playing any team in any pool and then it’s up to the luck of the draw. Apparently Wales have a 50% chance of being in the same group as Belgium (neutral venue) Russia (away) Denmark (away). Having 2 away games would put us at a big disadvantage.

I think the setup which gives several teams home matches is a flawed one and hope they never go back to it. I also think the way the play offs are setup to intentionally let poorer teams through is a silly idea.

On 11/20/2019 at 9:22 PM, zahidf said:

Liverpool's first league loss this season is going to be a 1-0 loss to spurs away isn't it?

I'm nervous about Palace away this weekend, let alone Spurs in the second half of the season.

Our next 5 games v Citys next 5 you'd really hope we pull further ahead but not taking anything for granted.

Edited by DareToDibble

10 hours ago, Wooderson said:

Real snoozer on here rn. You hate to see it. ?

We've got some large gaps for this time of the year haven't we. 1st to 2nd (8 pts), 4th to 5th (7 pts).

My prediction is Poch to be Man U manager within 3 months. I think Emery will be gone soon as well, maybe Howe to replace...

2 hours ago, Gromite said:

We've got some large gaps for this time of the year haven't we. 1st to 2nd (8 pts), 4th to 5th (7 pts).

My prediction is Poch to be Man U manager within 3 months. I think Emery will be gone soon as well, maybe Howe to replace...

Utd should give Rodgers a bell.

• Downvote 1

31 minutes ago, Wooderson said:

Utd should give Rodgers a bell.

You'd be disappointed as a Leicester fan to see him go there, considering league positions. Always difficult to turn Utd down though isn't it. Can imagine if a new man did come in, he'd be given a ton of cash in January

• Downvote 1

1 minute ago, Wooderson said:

He's deader than a-line jeans with pockets in the knees.

Yup.

I reckon Unai will defo go sooner or later, but Ole and Pellegrini might survive the season - Pell because Antonio is back fit (he was a monster at the weekend) and Ole because ... well, because Utd are a bunch of saps who might decide to keep their fingers crossed that he'll turn into Fergie if they keep him long enough.

2 hours ago, Gromite said:

Saw a report earlier today saying Silva is to be replaced by Moyes by the end of the week. Truly what has happened to Everton  

If Moyes comes it effectively means Kenwright is still running the club. I wouldn't be surprised to see Marcel Brands walk soon after.