Football 19/20

thetime

51 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

I have heard a lot of people throughout the British media in recent weeks talk about England having "the best attacking line up in world football". At present would it be more accurate to say possibly the best in Europe against mid/poor ranking opposition, or am I just being a bitter Welshman?

no, I reckon you've about nailed it.

On 11/18/2019 at 8:56 AM, jyoung said:

Interesting write up on The Athletic re Steve Walsh. Says when he was at Everton he had Harry Maguire and Andy Robbo lined up for 20m, a bid accepted for Jonny Evans and 4m for Erling Haaland (the young Norwegian with 7 in 4 CL games). Stark contrast to some of the big transfers they've made recently.

Sounds like sour grapes. Makes you wonder why he decided on some of the transfers he did if thats the case. Apparently he thought Yannick Bolasie had the highest potential of any Premiership player leading to nearly £23m being dropped. His marquee signings the following year were Danny Klassen and Sandro.

He'd peaked by the time he moved to Everton his last transfer window at Leicester was pretty terrible too

Edited by lost

2 hours ago, santowhir said:

Well I don't think you can measure things in terms of 'world class' or 'best in the world'. But bloody hell, I don't think people realise how grateful we should be to have these options as our forwards. Even our midfield options have plenty of goals and assists in them. This team is better than the golden generation. I think in 10 years time we will realise how good this team are and how much we took them for granted. An in-form Rashford might not even get picked in the starting 11.

Sterling / Kane / Sancho / Rashford / Abraham

P.S People's memory is piss poor, we were terrible in 2010/2014. I don't know why English fans are moaning right now.

I agree with the general gist of this mate. Really exciting young team England have. As I mentioned the other day, Scotland would be happy to just be involved next summer.

Off to Hampden shortly. It’s bloody freezing. Think we’ll edge it which would make 3 wins on the bounce for the first time in 2 years.

Play off draw on Friday to decide if we get a home draw in the final....assuming we win our home game in the semi.

2 hours ago, Comfy Bean said:

I agree with the general gist of this mate. Really exciting young team England have. As I mentioned the other day, Scotland would be happy to just be involved next summer.

Off to Hampden shortly. It’s bloody freezing. Think we’ll edge it which would make 3 wins on the bounce for the first time in 2 years.

Play off draw on Friday to decide if we get a home draw in the final....assuming we win our home game in the semi.

Some of us are just hoping not to need the play offs! Wales have pretty much lost every must win qualifier in my life time. I think we even lost when we qualified last time!

Can’t help but think that’s a bad decision. Victim of his own success.

He got them to a CL final last year and is still only 3 points off 5th! If the rumours are to be believed then there was some serious squad disharmony which was out of his control too.

Any guesses for his successor? Wonder if Eddie Howe will get a step up to a bigger club, I reckon he’s earned it.

1 minute ago, pink_triangle said:

Wales were in total control of the last 2 games which isn't the Wales way!  Moore has been a great find as a target man. I hope Scotland now join us, don't know if I can be as charitable about the 2 Irish teams!

I agree, very un-Wales. I'm under no illusions about how difficult it will be but you could argue this team are better than the one that got to the semis*

*This isn't me claiming we will better that.

55 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

is it the giggs appointment, or is it Wales actually having some top level players for once?

I think the jury is still out with Giggs. They had some awful performances early on in the group, then performed at the end. To finish second is probably par, the likes of Hungary don't have players at Madrid, Juventus and Man Utd.

Wales have a decent first 11, but not always great backup, so luck with injuries is always a big thing.

Loved Bale with the flag last night. Something has got to give in Madrid but with his wages I just don't know where he would go.

As for Mourinho, I can't believe our most successful manager of all time will be sitting in the Tottenham dugout this weekend. This is going to get nasty, I can tell.

I know everyone is calling this a match made in hell but I think Jose will win something at Spurs. A cup probably but a cup more than Poch did. What the price will be in the long term remains to be seen. Interesting summer ahead if Vertonghen, Alderweireld and Eriksen are off. That's a big core that will need replacing.

9 minutes ago, jyoung said:

I know everyone is calling this a match made in hell but I think Jose will win something at Spurs. A cup probably but a cup more than Poch did. What the price will be in the long term remains to be seen. Interesting summer ahead if Vertonghen, Alderweireld and Eriksen are off. That's a big core that will need replacing.

yup, I reckon it's about all-out to win something.

And i reckon, ultimately, Levy wasn't prepared to risk his money backing Pooch, but is going to be prepared to back 'a winner' like Moaniho.

Long term it might screw the club, but Levy and Joe exiting after a win and collecting big means they wouldn't care too much.

1 minute ago, pink_triangle said:

It's all relative, the main reason they haven't won trophies is the teams who spent more have been winning them.

The main reason, yes. Though Spurs fans will feel sick when they look back to 2016. Seven games to go and only five points between them and Leicester...