Football 19/20

thetime

Treated myself to a peruse of Blue Moon forum last night. Good Lord, they really do believe the game is corrupt and it's all a conspiracy to ensure Liverpool win the title and City don't. 

I wonder if it's the same conspiracy that has ensured Liverpool have won the league every year for the past 30 and poor, hard done to, operating on a shoestring City never win anything. 

Christ knows Liverpool have more than their own share of deluded fans but that place is next level bat shit.

7 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

Me, I'm thinking ahead, and I can't wait to hear - if City make a CL semi-final (for the first time) - how they prioritised the CL this year so basically gave Liverpool their league win (if it happens). :P 

Heh, yeh. That's in the mail.

1 hour ago, eFestivals said:

Me, I'm thinking ahead, and I can't wait to hear - if City make a CL semi-final (for the first time) - how they prioritised the CL this year so basically gave Liverpool their league win (if it happens). :P 

Second.

Think most City fans would still rather win the league anyway.

13 hours ago, zahidf said:

Sterling taking the loss hard 

The thing with Sterling is that no-one really cares that he left any more but the jeering so obviously gets to him, people have kept it up. I think he's only had one decent game against Liverpool. 

Sorry for the late reply fellas. Had some bad news last Wednesday and it shook me up a little.

In regards to the match I thought City played well. City did not take their chances and Liverpool were ruthless with theirs. Its fine margins at the top level and it is critical you take your chances.

In regards to the none penalty, it should have been a free kick to Liverpool. Liverpools goal should have been disallowed and it taken back for an accidental handball against Bernardo. We had a goal ruled out for far less of a handball when it glanced off Laportes hand against Spuds. 

At the end of the day, City played well and fought till the end. What more can you ask for really?

@eFestivals City have always got the the semis of the champions league.

5 minutes ago, eastynh said:

Liverpools goal should have been disallowed and it taken back for an accidental handball against Bernardo.

why? 

The ref (I presume) didn't see it at the time, and it wasn't crucial to Liverpool scoring their goal - therefore it's not within the scope of VAR.

We had a goal ruled out for far less of a handball when it glanced off Laportes hand against Spuds. 

erm ... that rule is specifically about a handball by the attacking team in the defending team's box, and is specifically about when a goal is scored.

It doesn't mean any ball to hand is stopped-game and free kick.

@eFestivals City have always got the the semis of the champions league.

I dunno about always, but yeah I got it wrong, apologies - and someone has already corrected it.

Just change 'semi' to 'final' in my words. :P 

2 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

why? 

The ref (I presume) didn't see it at the time, and it wasn't crucial to Liverpool scoring their goal - therefore it's not within the scope of VAR.

erm ... that rule is specifically about a handball by the attacking team in the defending team's box, and is specifically about when a goal is scored.

It doesn't mean any ball to hand is stopped-game and free kick.

I dunno about always, but yeah I got it wrong, apologies - and someone has already corrected it.

Just change 'semi' to 'final' in my words. :P 

Well if the ref played advantage then it should have been a penalty for City. it was clearly hand ball.

1 hour ago, Wooderson said:

Sterling a moron or pressure getting to him?

He was wound up, I imagine pep was screaming at everyone all night, and he lost his temper. It's not great but in an ultra competitive game, feelings get high.

Gomez said he doesn't want sterling to not play and sterling apologised. So I think the punishment given is about right.

Sterling stamped on VVD's ankle towards the end of the game aswell. Pisspoor.

I admire him hugely and think he's in the top 10 footie players in the world but few get more riled up by LFC fans than him. He's yet to have a shot on target at Anfield since he left. Something not quite right there if he's grabbing national team mates by the neck.

22 minutes ago, eastynh said:

Well if the ref played advantage then it should have been a penalty for City. it was clearly hand ball.

not all hand balls in the box are a foul and so a penalty.

Personally I wouldn't have been outraged if it had been a penalty. I felt his arms were out too wide.

Then again, the rest of his body shape justified the positions of his arms to some degree - and presumably the VAR geezer(s?) felt that justified it enough.

Within the way they're working VAR, the consistent call to me would be no penalty.

But it's also one of those things VAR can never ever address to everyone's satisfaction - because arms-out-too-wide is a matter of opinion, and not a measurable line.

1 hour ago, eFestivals said:

not all hand balls in the box are a foul and so a penalty.

Personally I wouldn't have been outraged if it had been a penalty. I felt his arms were out too wide.

Then again, the rest of his body shape justified the positions of his arms to some degree - and presumably the VAR geezer(s?) felt that justified it enough.

Within the way they're working VAR, the consistent call to me would be no penalty.

But it's also one of those things VAR can never ever address to everyone's satisfaction - because arms-out-too-wide is a matter of opinion, and not a measurable line.

Neil it was a clear hand ball. Do you honestly think that would not have been given if it was the other way round?

Its been and gone now, we just have to lick our wounds. 

I still think City will win the league, we just need to hang onto Liverpools coat tails till all our players get back from injury.

46 minutes ago, eastynh said:

Neil it was a clear hand ball.

the ball clearly hit his hand.

That's a different thing to the offence of handball. What is the offence of handball is a matter of opinion.

Do you honestly think that would not have been given if it was the other way round?

definitely wouldn't have been given, because blue moon is right, there's an anti-City conspiracy and a Liverpool love-in conspiracy.

Oh how i long for the days when it was said lucky Liverpool would be found out by VAR.

:lol: 

I still think City will win the league, we just need to hang onto Liverpools coat tails till all our players get back from injury.

not impossible, because you've had a bad spell of injuries and Liverpool haven't - yet.  I'll probably jinx it now, but Liverpool have been generally injury-free for many seasons so that might continue.

But you're discounting both of Leicester and Chelsea, where both are improving (and Leicester have been going great guns for quite a while already) - where i think it's possible either or both of them might pip you. 

I suspect City's main problem this year is trying to do it three years on the trot. Hard one to overcome that one.

(Kompany was on the radio yesterday, talking about his last City goal; he said the run-in with Liverpool was wearing them right down. Will be worse this year.)

Edited by eFestivals

34 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

the ball clearly hit his hand.

That's a different thing to the offence of handball. What is the offence of handball is a matter of opinion.

definitely wouldn't have been given, because blue moon is right, there's an anti-City conspiracy and a Liverpool love-in conspiracy.

Oh how i long for the days when it was said lucky Liverpool would be found out by VAR.

:lol: 

not impossible, because you've had a bad spell of injuries and Liverpool haven't - yet.  I'll probably jinx it now, but Liverpool have been generally injury-free for many seasons so that might continue.

But you're discounting both of Leicester and Chelsea, where both are improving (and Leicester have been going great guns for quite a while already) - where i think it's possible either or both of them might pip you. 

I suspect City's main problem this year is trying to do it three years on the trot. Hard one to overcome that one.

(Kompany was on the radio yesterday, talking about his last City goal; he said the run-in with Liverpool was wearing them right down. Will be worse this year.)

different situation, different ref, and even different rules for what is handball as they've changed a few times in the last few years.

Amongst other things, it's worth noting that the ref's and TTA's positions meant that the ref wouldn't have seen that TTA's arms were so far out from his side - and VAR is used with that in mind. The ref didn't make a clear and obvious mistake because his relative position didn't allow him to see it as a mistake; VAR is not meant to re-ref the game.

Edited by eFestivals