Football 19/20

thetime

Ballon D'or shortlist:

• Virgil van Dijk (Liverpool/Netherlands)
  • Bernardo Silva (Man City/Portugal)
  • Heung-min Son (Tottenham/South Korea)
  • Robert Lewandowski (Bayern Munich/Poland)
  • Roberto Firmino (Liverpool/Brazil)
  • Cristiano Ronaldo (Juventus/Portugal)
  • Alisson Becker (Liverpool/Brazil)
  • Matthijs de Ligt (Ajax/Juventus/Netherlands)
  • Karim Benzema (Real Madrid)
  • Georginio Wijnaldum (Liverpool/Netherlands)
  • Kylian Mbappé (PSG/France)
  • Trent Alexander-Arnold (Liverpool/England)
  • Donny van de Beek (Ajax/Netherlands)
  • Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang (Arsenal/Gabon)
  • Marc-André ter Stegen (Barcelona/Germany)
  • Sadio Mané (Liverpool/Senegal)
  • Sergio Agüero (Man City/Argentina)
  • Frenkie de Jong (Ajax/Barcelona/Netherlands)
  • Hugo Lloris (Tottenham/France)
  • Dusan Tadic (Ajax/Serbia)
  • Lionel Messi (Barcelona/Argentina)
  • Riyad Mahrez (Man City/Algeria)
  • Kevin De Bruyne (Man City/Belgium)
  • Kalidou Koulibaly (Napoli/Senegal)
  • Antoine Griezmann (Atlético Madrid/Barcelona/France)
  • Mohamed Salah (Liverpool/Egypt)
  • Eden Hazard (Chelsea/Real Madrid/Belgium)
  • Marquinhos (PSG/Brazil)
  • Raheem Sterling (Liverpool/England)
  • João Félix (Benfica/Atlético Madrid/Portugal

Seems to be a little confusion with that 2nd last one.

1 minute ago, eastynh said:

I have contributed on here all season, what you on about?? 

Liverpool definitely not winning the league after dropping two points while City definitely will after dropping eight...?

But with you keeping quiet about that until Liverpool had dropped their first points?

And you say Liverpool fans act entitled. :P 

15 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

Liverpool definitely not winning the league after dropping two points while City definitely will after dropping eight...?

But with you keeping quiet about that until Liverpool had dropped their first points?

And you say Liverpool fans act entitled. :P 

Or maybe the fact I am a City fan and have wanted to talk about City? 

Liverpool are contenders for the title while united are our biggest rivals. Of course I was going to comment on it this weekend. I commented on the match in this thread, before the match.

i just don't see Liverpool winning the league, the squad is nowhere near good enough. Plus they have one way of playing, their midfield is creatively very poor. Liverpool went to the poorest United team in decades and were very poor. They had Salah out and United totally nullified their attack. City had 2 central midfielders playing centre back and had Aguero on the bench for the entire match, yet they still had a comfortable win away at Palace. Thats the difference and why over a full season I think City will win the league. Not because Liverpool dropped points at Old Trafford.

Edited by eastynh

26 minutes ago, eastynh said:

i just don't see Liverpool winning the league, the squad is nowhere near good enough.

:lol: 

The squad who won the CL last year and ran City very very close in the PL.
The squad who lost fewer games than City.
The squad who got the 3rd best PL points ever, that would have had them win the league in 115 seasons.

Fair enough if you think City will win again, but "the squad is nowhere near good enough"? :lol: 

Edited by eFestivals

8 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

The squad who got the 3rd best PL points ever, that would have had them win the league in 115 seasons.

Fair enough if you think City will win again, but "the squad is nowhere near good enough"? :lol: 

And who are still undefeated this season in the league so far don't forget...

City have massive issues in defence with laporte being injured. I find it hard to believe they won't drop more points this year.

36 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

It is interesting you highlight last season as last season just reiterates my point that Liverpools squad is not good enough.

Once you look below the headline of Liverpool winning the champions league. The lack of squad depth tell a different story.

Yes Liverpool won the champions league and fair play to them. Yet when you look at their actual record in the competition last year, they lost 4 out of 13 matches. 

They also lost both domestic cup games, alongside a solitary defeat in the league. So Liverpool lost 7 matches in total last year which is a pretty remarkable record and fair play to them.

The problem with that is that City only lost 6, won 3 trophies, scored more goals and conceded less. They also beat Liverpool at home and were the better team away. Thats with City having their best player in KDB out injured for most of the season and Fernandinho, Silva, Kompany and Aguero missing for chunks of it.

So in Liverpools glorious season, they still did not do as well as City, could not beat City, did not win as many trophies, score as many goals and thats with City having their best players out injured.

Why could Liverpool not match City last season? Because their squad is not good enough.

Edited by eastynh

24 minutes ago, zahidf said:

And who are still undefeated this season in the league so far don't forget...

City have massive issues in defence with laporte being injured. I find it hard to believe they won't drop more points this year.

Yet City have only conceded 2 more goals than Liverpool this season, thats with massive issues in defence.

4 minutes ago, eastynh said:

It is interesting you highlight last season as last season just reiterates my point that Liverpools squad is not good enough.

OK, let's highlight Liverpool and City this season. :) 

Which one of the two isn't good enough as demonstrated by losing games and dropping points?

Once you look below the headline of Liverpool winning the champions league. The lack of squad depth tell a different story.

yep, there's a lack of squad depth, but they don't have a despot's riches from slavery to outspend all other teams.

Even with that lack of squad depth they did again what City can't do.

Yes Liverpool won the champions league and fair play to them. Yet when you look at their actual record in the competition last year, they lost 4 out of 13 matches. 

the rules are the rules and they won the matches that count.

You know, like City lost more games in the PL but still won cos of the rules.
(and would have lost under old rules!)

Blue moon desperation sets in. :lol: 

They also lost both domestic cup games, alongside a solitary defeat in the league. So Liverpool lost 7 matches in total last year which is a pretty remarkable record and fair play to them.

The problem with that is that City only lost 6, won 3 trophies, scored more goals and conceded less. They also beat Liverpool at home and were the better team away. Thats with City having their best player in KDB out injured for most of the season and Fernandinho, Silva, Kompany and Aguero missing for chunks of it.

So in Liverpools glorious season, they still did not do as well as City, could not beat City, did not win as many trophies, score as many goals and thats with City having their best players out injured.

Why could Liverpool not match City last season? Because their squad is not good enough.

Which cup would city have rather won?

The won that Liverpool won.

Maybe this season, eh? :D 

not about winding up easty (cos this is more about 3rd & 4th than 1st & 2nd), but I haven't done a top 4 prediction for this season yet - because I reckon it was too hard to judge this season before they got going.

So anyway...

Liverpool (just because i can't see city doing it 3 on the trot)
City
Chelsea
Leicester

I tipped Leicester to maybe be in there before the season started, and they're going much like I thought they might.

I wouldn't have tipped Chelsea before the season started, but I posted "they'll be fine" (or something) after they got twonked in their first game because despite the result I could see something there. And I reckon they're going to be flying before the season ends.

Considering that I felt Spurs and Arsenal did good transfer business this summer, it's amazing to think that Chelsea are looking like the best of the rest. Fair play to Lampard, I thought in pre-season that if he got them to 6th he'd be doing a good job, and he'll probably get them finishing higher than that.

We are loving life with Lamps. Hopefully we maintain our good form, get that third place spot and have a good go at one of the cups as well. We will come up against some tough tests though and it will be interesting to see how the young team does if we lose one or two on the bounce. Hudson-Odoi has been great since his return and if we can get and keep Rudiger and Kante fit we'll have a good squad on our hands. RLC to come back yet too.