Football 19/20

thetime

21 hours ago, pink_triangle said:

St Mirren brought 100 which is pretty good for u21 team. Many in our league bring less.

I'm still hoping for an away trip in Scotland. Which would be the best option out of Patrick thistle, Clyde , Raith, Elgin and Stenhousemuir? I'm thinking more for the away day experience than easiest match. I'm not interested in the Inverness or Solihull/Rangers u21 options.

You want Partick Thistle. Nice wee club under the stand and they always have a couple of players in after the game to sign stuff and get pics with the kids.

The ground is only 10mins in a taxi from the centre of Glasgow so plenty pub and food options for before and after the game.

We always go up to Partick. They took our manager a couple of weeks back so I hope you beat them ? 

31 minutes ago, Comfy Bean said:

You want Partick Thistle. Nice wee club under the stand and they always have a couple of players in after the game to sign stuff and get pics with the kids.

The ground is only 10mins in a taxi from the centre of Glasgow so plenty pub and food options for before and after the game.

We always go up to Partick. They took our manager a couple of weeks back so I hope you beat them ? 

I have looked at the map and Elgin doesn't really appeal!

11 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

I have looked at the map and Elgin doesn't really appeal!

I always enjoyed a trip up to Elgin, the away days that where a decent journey away always felt like more of an occasion, but I appreciate you would be traveling further than from the central belt.

not sure what I think about how things went on the pitch from the racism last night.

The racism is of course unacceptable.

But i'm not sure that giving a small minority of people the ability to stop the game is the right answer. It's giving them a power they didn't have before.

Kudos to Popov for talking to the 'fans'. No shame on the Bulgarian team.

Does anyone know if it was Popov who got that big group all dressed in black to leave? I wasn't paying full attention, so I'm not sure if it was or not.

5 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

not sure what I think about how things went on the pitch from the racism last night.

The racism is of course unacceptable.

But i'm not sure that giving a small minority of people the ability to stop the game is the right answer. It's giving them a power they didn't have before.

Kudos to Popov for talking to the 'fans'. No shame on the Bulgarian team.

Does anyone know if it was Popov who got that big group all dressed in black to leave? I wasn't paying full attention, so I'm not sure if it was or not.

Can't really let the game play on either though in those circumstances.

Fair play to popov, though the Bulgarian coach was being an arse by saying he didn't hear the racist chanting, and that the match was actually stopped because of the English fans behaviour:-/

Unfortunately, unless they ban teams , it's not really going to stop if the relevant national set ups aren't going to take it seriously.

7 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Can't really let the game play on either though in those circumstances.

i don't disagree, but giving the racists a greater power doesn't seem right either.

8 minutes ago, zahidf said:

if the relevant national set ups aren't going to take it seriously.

I don't think that's an angle that should be pushed too hard about last night. It's going to take a while for the new way of doing things to settle in - and when the captain of the home team is going to the fans about it, that's about the best it gets.

I'm a bit pissed off with how MPs seem to have gone at Bulgaria. It's not like we don't have our own problems here. It doesn't need finger pointing, it needs rational actions.

27 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

i don't disagree, but giving the racists a greater power doesn't seem right either.

I don't think that's an angle that should be pushed too hard about last night. It's going to take a while for the new way of doing things to settle in - and when the captain of the home team is going to the fans about it, that's about the best it gets.

I'm a bit pissed off with how MPs seem to have gone at Bulgaria. It's not like we don't have our own problems here. It doesn't need finger pointing, it needs rational actions.

Hmm... it's not the first time it's happened over the last few months and it's clear the coach/set up aren't taking it seriously 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/50050684

'The Vasil Levski Stadium was subject to a partial closure for this match after Bulgaria were sanctioned for racist behaviour during qualifiers against Kosovo and the Czech Republic.

"This has not happened to us before," said Balakov, whose translator added that the disciplinary measures imposed on Bulgaria by Uefa were not because of racist chanting but "because of a banner of an organisation that is not forbidden by Bulgarian law".

Sounds like the Bulgarian government are going to take massive action.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/50054475

Aren't tickets/seats allocated by name? Should be clear who the racists are and who to give lifetime bans to

2 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Aren't tickets/seats allocated by name? Should be clear who the racists are and who to give lifetime bans to

no idea, it's possible they're sold at the gate I guess.

But yeah, identifying the offenders is the way to go, which can be done in the stadium when it's happening to a large degree - which is probably a much better way to go (to throw them out) than stopping the game (or perhaps as well as stopping the game).

But without accepting racism we need to recognise that our own moral position is one we've only recently arrived at - while still having our own problems within society, too - and that expecting all other cultures (at general public level) to be in step with us is a ridiculous position to take. We've been working at eliminating racism from the stands for 30+ years and we're still not there.

8 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

no idea, it's possible they're sold at the gate I guess.

But yeah, identifying the offenders is the way to go, which can be done in the stadium when it's happening to a large degree - which is probably a much better way to go (to throw them out) than stopping the game (or perhaps as well as stopping the game).

But without accepting racism we need to recognise that our own moral position is one we've only recently arrived at - while still having our own problems within society, too - and that expecting all other cultures (at general public level) to be in step with us is a ridiculous position to take. We've been working at eliminating racism from the stands for 30+ years and we're still not there.

It's an international sport tournament with a clear moral position to be taken by teams and their fans who want to participate. If it was the first time, id be more sympathetic maybe, but it isn't the first time with Bulgaria and I think they are getting deserving flack for their screw ups on it. I'm not really happy with 'I didn't hear any racism' bullshit excuses either 

The moral highground is a bit of a joke to be honest. Some parts of the media will say it's a main land European issue, but we all know it's pretty bad in England/UK aswell. I hear certain chants about Man Utd players in and around the stadium on match days, it might be done in humor but it's still racist.

12 minutes ago, zahidf said:

It's an international sport tournament with a clear moral position to be taken by teams and their fans who want to participate.

The team wants to participate, the fans are not something within their full control.

The racists will fuck over the team if they want to, which doesn't actually solve anything.

I'm not really happy with 'I didn't hear any racism' bullshit excuses either 

I don't know if they did or didn't, but it's possible that they didn't.

That part isn't something to get hung up on, as long as the person saying that is accepting that others did (which they might not be in this case).

12 minutes ago, zahidf said:

If it was the first time, id be more sympathetic maybe, but it isn't the first time with Bulgaria and I think they are getting deserving flack for their screw ups on it.

It sounds like there are issues within their FA, and yet all the same could and very probably would have happened if there weren't issues within their FA. 

I'm with John Barnes on this. The problem isn't really a football problem.

Edited by eFestivals

expecting all other cultures (at general public level) to be in step with us is a ridiculous position to take. We've been working at eliminating racism from the stands for 30+ years and we're still not there.

This

Mate of mine went on holiday to Bulgaria. He was constantly being stopped for selfies with people who wanted him in group photos with all their family. As you say when they never see any black people they are really where we were in the 50's / 60's and we haven't solved the problem.

1 hour ago, eFestivals said:

The team wants to participate, the fans are not something within their full control.

The racists will fuck over the team if they want to, which doesn't actually solve anything.

I don't know if they did or didn't, but it's possible that they didn't.

That part isn't something to get hung up on, as long as the person saying that is accepting that others did (which they might not be in this case).

It sounds like there are issues within their FA, and yet all the same could and very probably would have happened if there weren't issues within their FA. 

I'm with John Barnes on this. The problem isn't really a football problem.

I don't disagree that it's also societal issues, but football authorities can prevent it. They certainly shouldn't minimise it like the Bulgarian coach was (He said popov went to the racist fans to apologise for the teams bad performance ffs)

I'd say Nazi salutes were not really ok 30 years ago either! Bulgaria isn't that far behind us in societal standards 

14 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

I'm not convinced, their goal total would probably have counted against them.

If we hadn't had Messi I think Etoo would of probably got a longer run and that Barca team would of still dominated due to the midfield. In fact more goals would of been created from the middle as he's more a finisher. Coupled with Spain dominating at international level for the same reason I can't see anywhere else to look. 

• Downvote 1

41 minutes ago, lost said:

If we hadn't had Messi I think Etoo would of probably got a longer run and that Barca team would of still dominated due to the midfield. In fact more goals would of been created from the middle as he's more a finisher. Coupled with Spain dominating at international level for the same reason I can't see anywhere else to look. 

Awards are often as much about profile as influence. I suspect we would have had a lot of people winning it once or twice. I'm sure before the Messi/Ronaldo era thats what happened.