Football 19/20

thetime

1 minute ago, eastynh said:

None of the others would get anywhere near Citys squad. He is a 19 year old lad and is being introduced into the squad intelligently. He will get enough minutes this season. 

We shall see.

At present he’s up against players who are playing at the required level regularly. Foden has a reputation but nothing to back it up yet.

Edited by Hugh Jass

5 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

We shall see.

At present he’s up against players who are playing at the required level regularly. Foden has a reputation but nothing to back it up yet.

Hes played in and scored in more champions league games than Maddison, Mount and Barnes put together. He looked far better than Maddison in the under 21 championships, even though he is nearly 4 years younger. There is a reason Pep wants him as part of the squad and will not send him on loan. Foden is better served playing 10 - 15 games in this City team and being ready to replace Silva next season, than he would be by going on loan.

Xavi, Iniesta and Scholes had not played as many minutes or games as Foden has, at the same point in their careers. He is way ahead of where most prospects are at a similar point in their careers when at a top club. 

1 minute ago, eastynh said:

Hes played in and scored in more champions league games than Maddison, Mount and Barnes put together. He looked far better than Maddison in the under 21 championships, even though he is nearly 4 years younger. There is a reason Pep wants him as part of the squad and will not send him on loan. Foden is better served playing 10 - 15 games in this City team and being ready to replace Silva next season, than he would be by going on loan.

Xavi, Iniesta and Scholes had not played as many minutes or games as Foden has, at the same point in their careers. He is way ahead of where most prospects are at a similar point in their careers when at a top club. 

He has made a whopping 19 appearances so far in his career, comparing him to anyone at this stage is just plain daft. I get that you're biased towards your own lad and believe that he's the second coming of Jesus and Kevin Horlock but so far he has proved absolutely nothing. Were he at United, Liverpool or anyone else you would be saying the same.

He may well go on to be a great player but right now he is just a kid with potential and nothing more. He'll need at least 25-30 games this season to get anywhere near that England squad.

I have discovered though that his middle name is Walter, which I like immensely.

3 minutes ago, eastynh said:

Hes played in and scored in more champions league games than Maddison, Mount and Barnes put together.

Scoring the 6th goal in a 7-0 win doesn't really big him up. I get what you're saying but that bigs up City, not so much Foden. 119 mins of CL football doesn't either. Guarantee Mount will get more this season. It isn't really a case of 10-15 games. Technically he played 13 times in the PL last year but a quick look at his mins shows 329. Roughly 3.5 games. Maybe he will have more of a breakthrough this year and get more mins. There is obvious potential and he could very well end up being very good but at the moment there's no reason for all the hyperbole or to think he will get into the England midfield ahead of any of the aforementioned CMs.

5 hours ago, jyoung said:

Scoring the 6th goal in a 7-0 win doesn't really big him up. I get what you're saying but that bigs up City, not so much Foden. 119 mins of CL football doesn't either. Guarantee Mount will get more this season. It isn't really a case of 10-15 games. Technically he played 13 times in the PL last year but a quick look at his mins shows 329. Roughly 3.5 games. Maybe he will have more of a breakthrough this year and get more mins. There is obvious potential and he could very well end up being very good but at the moment there's no reason for all the hyperbole or to think he will get into the England midfield ahead of any of the aforementioned CMs.

The amount of minutes Foden is playing is irrelevant. If hes good enough to be in City squad, he is more than good enough to be getting in Englands squad.

Hugh mentioned Mount, Maddison and Barnes as being above Foden in the pecking order. Not one of them would get anywhere near City's squad. Last season when Mount was playing in the championship, Foden was scoring winning goals against Spurs in a must win game as part of a title run in. When Foden and Maddison played in the same England u21 team, Foden looked by far the better player, even though he was 4 years younger.

The reason Foden can't get more minutes for City is because he has David Silva and KDB in his position. David Silva is one of the premier leagues greatest ever players and KDB is a top 5 player in the world. At 19 years old, he is not displacing either. Thats not a slight on Foden as there is not a single player at any club in the premier league who could displace either.

Foden and England will get the benefits of him staying at City and learn under Pep, alongside KDB and Silva. That is far better for his career than going on loan somewhere. We don't want him to burn out. Look what happened to Owen, his career was over at the top level in his mid twenties. Rooney was pretty much the same. Burning these kids out is not what is needed. Sensible development is what is required.

If you seen the U21 match the other night, you would have seen Foden was clearly a level above. Why not get him involved in the full squad now?

4 minutes ago, eastynh said:

The amount of minutes Foden is playing is irrelevant. If hes good enough to be in City squad, he is more than good enough to be getting in Englands squad.

Hugh mentioned Mount, Maddison and Barnes as being above Foden in the pecking order. Not one of them would get anywhere near City's squad. Last season when Mount was playing in the championship, Foden was scoring winning goals against Spurs in a must win game as part of a title run in. When Foden and Maddison played in the same England u21 team, Foden looked by far the better player, even though he was 4 years younger.

The reason Foden can't get more minutes for City is because he has David Silva and KDB in his position. David Silva is one of the premier leagues greatest ever players and KDB is a top 5 player in the world. At 19 years old, he is not displacing either. Thats not a slight on Foden as there is not a single player at any club in the premier league who could displace either.

Foden and England will get the benefits of him staying at City and learn under Pep, alongside KDB and Silva. That is far better for his career than going on loan somewhere. We don't want him to burn out. Look what happened to Owen, his career was over at the top level in his mid twenties. Rooney was pretty much the same. Burning these kids out is not what is needed. Sensible development is what is required.

The time will come when foden will have to be a 1st team player or look elsewhere. That's not for a couple of years though, I would say city are handling him very well. 

14 hours ago, eastynh said:

If you seen the U21 match the other night, you would have seen Foden was clearly a level above. Why not get him involved in the full squad now?

You seem to be almost wilfully missing the point here. Southgate has said before that he will only pick players who are playing regularly for their clubs. Foden isn’t playing regularly, doesn’t matter how good he is, right now he’s going nowhere. Picking him for England would be the equivalent of Sven dropping Young Theo in the 06 squad. Just saying “he’s better than the others” is rather one-eyed and means absolutely nothing. 

I would argue that regularly starting PL matches is much better for development that just watching David Silva in training. The likes of Mount and Maddison are playing 90 minutes  weekly, not just a League Cup run out against Oxford or 10 minutes when you’re already 5-0 up. (If he stays fit I guarantee Mount will have more CL minutes by the end of the season too).

Foden has potential but has proved nothing yet, until he does he shouldn’t be anywhere near the England setup.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Hugh Jass said:

I would argue that regularly starting PL matches is much better for development that just watching David Silva in training. The likes of Mount and Maddison are playing 90 minutes  weekly.

Im not sure. I think Easty makes a good point that some of the top midfielders in recent years were not playing regular football at a similar age.

15 hours ago, eastynh said:

I'm not sure I get your point. It sounds like City are being careful with his development and that's a good thing, so why do you want to rush him into the England squad?

Personally, I imagine he's not part of Southgates plans for 2020, but Foden's likely to have a more prominent role after Silva leaves and will start being more involved with England then as well.

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, Dan R said:

I'm not sure I get your point. It sounds like City are being careful with his development and that's a good thing, so why do you want to rush him into the England squad?

Personally, I imagine he's not part of Southgates plans for 2020, but Foden's likely to have a more prominent role after Silva leaves and will start being more involved with England then as well.

My point is this. England are crying out for a midfielder with close control in tight spaces, able to arrive in the box and score, one who can play within the lines and create. Who do England currently have in those positions? Lingard and Barkley? Lingard is just awful, while Barkley is a decent if unspectacular player. 

Now Foden is already a million times better than Lingard and has the potential to be far, far better than Barkley.Whats the point of playing him in the under 21's when he has clearly shown he is far better than that level of football? 

Hes not going to play regulary in this City team, this season. No shame in that, its City strong point. Get him involved with the full England squad now. How can he be good enough to get in Citys squad but not good enough for the full England squad? Especially when he is the type of player England have been crying out for. 

Lingard is not even a regular starter for the worse United team in decades but he gets in the squad. 

If Football Manager has taught me anything it's that breeding young players into an already successful team is a lot easier/better than pushing potential young players into a decent team (there is less pressure). I think Foden is probably getting protected to enhance his development rather than not getting games because the manager doesn't think he is good enough. Maybe Pep and Southgate have a Gentlemen's agreement, who knows we are just speculating. 

Beckham is an interesting one, you could say he came through a little late when compared to Ryan Giggs. Everyone who knew Manchester United knew Beckham before he broke through.

1 hour ago, eastynh said:

Hes not going to play regulary in this City team, this season. No shame in that, its City strong point. Get him involved with the full England squad now. How can he be good enough to get in Citys squad but not good enough for the full England squad? Especially when he is the type of player England have been crying out for. 

Lingard is not even a regular starter for the worse United team in decades but he gets in the squad. 

I would agree.  In any international squad you are probably going to get 2 or 3 outfield players who probably wont play unless there is a dead rubber. So why not use up a space for someone like Foden and if he impresses in training you may be tempted to use him.

3 hours ago, eastynh said:

My point is this. England are crying out for a midfielder with close control in tight spaces, able to arrive in the box and score, one who can play within the lines and create. Who do England currently have in those positions? Lingard and Barkley? Lingard is just awful, while Barkley is a decent if unspectacular player. 

Now Foden is already a million times better than Lingard and has the potential to be far, far better than Barkley.Whats the point of playing him in the under 21's when he has clearly shown he is far better than that level of football? 

Fair enough, his role is a weak area for England. To me he looks technically excellent but physically still looks quite slight. A years more growth and experience before he gets put under the England spotlight will probably be better for his development.

And fuck knows why Lingards there.

Fair few didn't know where the goals would come from for Chelsea this season. Myself included. Delighted. 

Screenshot_20190914-180048.thumb.png.d7f78c2317bd5be64071a313adf1ba6a.png

As for the youth debate. The academy lads have been our best players so far. Hudson Odoi and James to come back too. Feeling positive!

Edited by jyoung

The chances of winning the Europa league for the non-top teams must be quite slim with champions league teams entering after the group stage and usually a couple of teams from the top leagues who should be in the champions league in there too. Then taking into account it ruins your first 4 months of the domestic season. Whats the point?

Edited by lost