Football 19/20

thetime

50 minutes ago, jyoung said:

Not necessarily but of course it plays its part. No way CHO was staying under Sarri. As for academy grads such as James, Mount, Tammy and Tomori... Sarri didn't watch a single academy match during his tenure. Those names wouldn't even be in contention if he was still manager. I hope we have learned our lesson from the ban though. We don't always need to spend 30m on average backups.

I don't think that is what Chelsea should learn from the ban. It should be that you don't go round taking advantage of young players. 

Anyway... Great start for Burnley and Brighton. City machine rolls on, unsurprisingly. Looking forward to the games tomorrow and hopefully after a few games the pundits can talk about something other than VAR. Preferably the actual football being played. 

10 minutes ago, CRW5252 said:

Sound moral compass on this one! 

What do you want me to say, mate. They have obviously been judged to have broken the rules. Should they follow the rules? Yep. If they don't, should they be banned? Yep. There you go. That better?

11 minutes ago, jyoung said:

What do you want me to say, mate. They have obviously been judged to have broken the rules. Should they follow the rules? Yep. If they don't, should they be banned? Yep. There you go. That better?

I don't want you to say anything, say what you want. Just thought you didn't show much appreciation for the morale aspect of Chelsea breaking the rules. Big problem at many football clubs and not just Chelsea. 

3 hours ago, jyoung said:

Anyway... Great start for Burnley and Brighton. City machine rolls on, unsurprisingly. Looking forward to the games tomorrow and hopefully after a few games the pundits can talk about something other than VAR. Preferably the actual football being played. 

Hopefully the talking point will be why have so many Newcastle fans not turned up for the game. Unfortunately I've a feeling that normal service will resume ?

I hope Brighton prove all the preseason critics wrong, including me - they definitely had been slightly unfairly given the role of dead man walking prior to a ball being kicked.

Potter seems like a genuine nice guy and seemingly a very good manager. 

1 hour ago, mjsell said:

I realise people don't want more VAR talk, but I thought it has passed with flying colours so far. 

I'm prepared to get a ton of boring moaning responses to that statement though - so if you do, please make it original. 

I think the offside decisions need some work. Sterlings goal looked more like Offside than the Jesus one. I am pro var but they should be for clear and obvious errors. No chance the Jesus goal was a clear and obvious error.

Var worked for the penalty. Dean did his best not to give it but had no choice as Var would have shown it was nailed on. Also correct on the retake. It will stop players encroaching.

The fans should also see the replays on the screens. 

8 hours ago, JSmurphy said:

Sit in Row D in Fratton End, so was right behind Close's goal. Not my video, but it was a finish of dreams:

Pick that one out!

8 hours ago, CRW5252 said:

Big problem at many football clubs and not just Chelsea. 

Agreed.

2 hours ago, mjsell said:

I hope Brighton prove all the preseason critics wrong, including me - they definitely had been slightly unfairly given the role of dead man walking prior to a ball being kicked.

Too soon to tell but I've always said they're well positioned to succeed. Great club. The football lost a bit of identity under Hughton last year but they're a very ambitious group of people behind the scenes... Great article here if you're signed up to The Athletic (would recommend btw): https://theathletic.com/1125791/2019/08/09/we-want-to-be-in-the-top-10-people-will-scoff-but-theyre-not-laughing-at-bournemouth/

1 hour ago, jyoung said:

Pick that one out!

Agreed.

Too soon to tell but I've always said they're well positioned to succeed. Great club. The football lost a bit of identity under Hughton last year but they're a very ambitious group of people behind the scenes... Great article here if you're signed up to The Athletic (would recommend btw): https://theathletic.com/1125791/2019/08/09/we-want-to-be-in-the-top-10-people-will-scoff-but-theyre-not-laughing-at-bournemouth/

Have heard a bit about the Athletic, but don’t know anyone who has subscribed. What do you get that you wouldn’t get for free on something like guardian sports?

3 hours ago, eastynh said:

I think the offside decisions need some work. Sterlings goal looked more like Offside than the Jesus one. I am pro var but they should be for clear and obvious errors. No chance the Jesus goal was a clear and obvious error.

I get what you're saying but it's got to be black and white though.

Can you imagine them reviewing the play, then saying "it was offside but only just so we'll let it stand"? What do you do, put a distance on it? 10cm offside is allowed, 20cm isn't?

1 hour ago, pink_triangle said:

Have heard a bit about the Athletic, but don’t know anyone who has subscribed. What do you get that you wouldn’t get for free on something like guardian sports?

At first I thought it was just a bunch of industry types patting themselves on the back but then I thought you may as well try the 30 day free trial and see for yourself! If you like it, it's only £2.50 per month for a years subscription. They've assembled a really strong team of football writers, each of which have been covering their selected teams for decades. What I've read so far has been in-depth, detailed and interesting (piece on LFC and the national anthem for instance). The content seems to be geared towards quality rather than clicks. Oh and there's no ads. Whether it works, or lasts remains to be seen but I've enjoyed it's coverage so far.

5 hours ago, mjsell said:

I realise people don't want more VAR talk, but I thought it has passed with flying colours so far. 

I'm prepared to get a ton of boring moaning responses to that statement though - so if you do, please make it original. 

But if the VAR was the there they'd be talking about weather it was offside or not so I don't see why people are moaning.