Football 19/20

thetime

8 minutes ago, lost said:

Yeah shows what a good manager can do. i've said before players like origi and Shaqiri have looked championship quality to me but under Klopp they are flying.

Motivational managers are priceless in my opinion, all the other stuff can be worked around. A great motivational manager can be tactically naive but still get great results by the team of coaches they build around themselves.

3 hours ago, lost said:

Yeah shows what a good manager can do. i've said before players like origi and Shaqiri have looked championship quality to me but under Klopp they are flying.

Shaqiri had always been talented but inconsistent. He's been performing well for Liverpool when called upon though. 

Origi I'm still amazed is doing anything. But you'll definitely have more space if people are focusing on marking Salah and Mane around you. Playing with good players helps. 

5 hours ago, pink_triangle said:

It depends on how you define mid table. I would say mid table is 7/8 -12/13 and I think its better than that. I dont see 6 squads that are better.

Well thats what I mean. That squad could easily finish 8th or 9th with a couple of injuries. 

19 hours ago, santowhir said:

Motivational managers are priceless in my opinion, all the other stuff can be worked around. A great motivational manager can be tactically naive but still get great results by the team of coaches they build around themselves.

I agree, although I'd emphasise that a motivational manager doesn't need to be someone who can issue a rocky style speech, but instead someone who has excellent man management skills (great team talks will come with that). Bobby Robson is the best example of this. 

Just now, The Nal said:

With Mourinho as manager. New manager has managed a pub team and got relegated with Cardiff. 

I disagreed with both appointments. Maureen a dinosaur and Ole a silly little slut.

But to say this squad is the worst in 30 years given 2nd place finish one season ago is madness.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Wooderson said:

I disagreed with both appointments. Maureen a dinosaur and Ole a silly little slut.

But to say this squad is the worst in 30 years given 2nd place finish one season ago is madness.

Name me a worse one?!

Huge achievement from Mourinho to finish 2nd with that squad. 

2 minutes ago, Wooderson said:

Whatever squad Bebe was in.

lol. Wasn't used correctly. Could've been a contender. Nah that team, Rio, Vidic, Scholes, Rooney, Evra, Berbatov.

This is the weakest since Racist Ron. And even that team had Robson, Whiteside, McGrath etc.

To be fair to @The Nal, arguably only De Gea, Lukaku, Pogba, Rashford and Martial would stand a chance of getting into another top six team and none of them would be nailed on starters. I can't think of a time in recent memory (maybe 13/14) when so few United players would walk into one of the old big four let alone top six and immediately be one of the best players. 

10 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

the squad's not great, but it was worse as Fergie exited despite them having just won the league.

Fergies last team won the league by 11 points. RVP scored 26 in the league. Carrick, Vidic, Rooney, De Gea etc. 

8 minutes ago, jyoung said:

To be fair to @The Nal, arguably only De Gea, Lukaku, Pogba, Rashford and Martial would stand a chance of getting into another top six team and none of them would be nailed on starters. I can't think of a time in recent memory (maybe 13/14) when so few United players would walk into one of the old big four let alone top six and immediately be one of the best players. 

Cant think of a time when theres not even an argument for one player who would get into Liverpool or Citys team. 

11 minutes ago, jyoung said:

That's assuming they play at the same level at another 6 club as they are playing now. Other players raise their game when they join a team like Liverpool, City or Spurs, so you suspect there are players at Man u who could do the same.

1 minute ago, The Nal said:

Cant think of a time when theres not even an argument for one player who would get into Liverpool or Citys team. 

Again your assuming that their level at Man Utd is what their level is. I suspect there are several who would look better and compete for a place in the Liverpool starting line up, under a manager/system who could get more from them.

1 minute ago, pink_triangle said:

Again your assuming that their level at Man Utd is what their level is. I suspect there are several who would look better and compete for a place in the Liverpool starting line up, under a manager/system who could get more from them.

Yep quite possibly but the fact is they haven't. And even the guys you think could do it - Pogba, Martial, Rashford - have only shown glimpses here and there in recent years. 

Obviously hope I'm wrong and something clicks but looks like a few rough seasons ahead. 

3 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Yep quite possibly but the fact is they haven't. And even the guys you think could do it - Pogba, Martial, Rashford - have only shown glimpses here and there in recent years. 

Obviously hope I'm wrong and something clicks but looks like a few rough seasons ahead. 

January before last people on 'ere saying Klopp under pressure/needs to go etc etc yawn.

Utd will be fine, bottomless resources. Just need to get the right manager in a get the silly Norwegian tart out the door pronto.

Just now, Wooderson said:

January before last people on 'ere saying Klopp under pressure/needs to go etc etc yawn.

Utd will be fine, bottomless resources. Just need to get the right manager in a get the silly Norwegian tart out the door pronto.

Hope your right but dunno. Theres the board issue too remember. If Gill was still there then maybe yeah. 

Klopp was clearly building a squad, a system and changing a culture. I don't see that at OT but lets wait and see I suppose. 

4 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Klopp was clearly building a squad, a system and changing a culture. 

well he is, but at the same time its pretty much what Brodgers did when he had the players. Klopp has better players than Brodgers had at best, tho.

It'll be interesting to see what Brodgers does with Leicester this season. He's got his critics but I think we might see that he's one of the better managers.

5 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

well he is, but at the same time its pretty much what Brodgers did when he had the players. Klopp has better players than Brodgers had at best, tho.

It'll be interesting to see what Brodgers does with Leicester this season. He's got his critics but I think we might see that he's one of the better managers.

Yeah and they're backing him too. 

He did have Suarez at LFC though who was basically Superman for 18 months.