Football 19/20

thetime

8 hours ago, kaosmark2 said:

Seeing a big team go down after years of fucking up is entertaining. Seeing them stay down is sad. I felt Villa had been treading a tightrope for years and deserved to go down. I'm also happy they didn't bounce straight back. But I'd prefer to see a load of well-supported teams in the Prem than whoever has the latest big financial backing. 

I don't think any Newcastle fan hated the years winning the Championship, or thought that those seasons weren't deserved, but there's just this hope for something more than being a Prem also-ran or victors in the Championship. If we ever had a cup run to the semi-finals I'd happily take relegation again. It's a desire for more meaning than financial solvency and Ashley's pocket.

oh I get the lack of cup runs, that would make me tear my hair out, never get why midtable teams rest players in the fa cup, its one game in the same damn country! same with top of the table championship teams, usually backfires and then the whole team loses momentum and lose a couple of games after

2 hours ago, WS_Jack_III said:

Being offered 14m to go China but I personally can't see him doing that.

Yeah I can't see that happening. I was told he stayed living in the Wirral while Newcastle manager, which suggests he's probably pretty settled. Probably just wait a while for the right offer to come in, his stock definitely hasn't dropped over his Newcastle tenure so I can't imagine it being too long.

2 hours ago, Dan R said:

Yeah I can't see that happening. I was told he stayed living in the Wirral while Newcastle manager, which suggests he's probably pretty settled. Probably just wait a while for the right offer to come in, his stock definitely hasn't dropped over his Newcastle tenure so I can't imagine it being too long.

The perfect job for him is in West London, just too bad the fans were such a bunch of c**ts towards him last time.

32 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

The perfect job for him is in West London, just too bad the fans were such a bunch of c**ts towards him last time.

It isn't the perfect job for him. Not now, not then, not ever. Can hardly blame the fans for not taking to him when he spent years slagging of our players, slagging off our greatest ever manager and saying that our fans have no passion. He's achieved some great moments as a manager but no.

From tonight FFP ruling changes. Premier League wages were set at a limit of £67m, beyond that clubs were allowed to raise them by £7m every year, unless they can prove that they bring in more than this in commercial revenue. This whole ruling has been removed for the next 3 years. Basically allowing teams further down the league to spend much more on wages than they would normally be allowed to. Obviously clubs can't be doing £200m transfer fees but it certainly will help teams to improve their squads. Especially if signing free transfers. 

On ‎6‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 11:36 AM, Dan R said:

he has gone to china

39 minutes ago, pryce said:

he has gone to china

Shows how little I know! Genuinely surprised by that though, I'm guessing it must be an interesting project for him to go over there rather than just lots of money (though I wouldn't begrudge him it), I know absolutely nothing about the club though. Good luck to him!

42 minutes ago, Dan R said:

I'm completely talking out of my arse but I'm just surprised. Maybe Mike Ashley has just broken him a bit.

Mike Ashley has broken everyone who has any connection to the club.

Regardless, can you actually name another club that would suit him? Everton would be the right size to try and grow back into a competitor, but obviously the Liverpool link means that's a tough sell. Otherwise, it's Italy or a paycheck job. I'm not particularly surprised he's gone for the latter.

20 hours ago, luckysalt said:

From tonight FFP ruling changes. Premier League wages were set at a limit of £67m, beyond that clubs were allowed to raise them by £7m every year, unless they can prove that they bring in more than this in commercial revenue. This whole ruling has been removed for the next 3 years. Basically allowing teams further down the league to spend much more on wages than they would normally be allowed to. Obviously clubs can't be doing £200m transfer fees but it certainly will help teams to improve their squads. Especially if signing free transfers. 

Hmmmm call me a bit skeptical but it seems funny timing that this rule has been lifted when United were possibly going to breach it.

We're selling Perez. Now, I'm not his biggest fan but we aren't getting Rondon in and Perez is off. They basically scored all our goals last season. 

Absolute f*cking heartbreak for NUFC again, could be looking at lowest points total in a season here.

Edited by WS_Jack_III

12 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

Are Newcastle fans doing anything to fight back against Ashley? I’m thinking boycotting matches, walkouts, boycotting his shops etc.

I heard that we've had our lowest season ticket sales in 25 years, but I haven't seen it verified anywhere.

I've not bought any Newcastle stuff or any Sports Direct stuff in 11 years, but I haven't heard of an organised boycott.

8 minutes ago, kaosmark2 said:

I heard that we've had our lowest season ticket sales in 25 years, but I haven't seen it verified anywhere.

I've not bought any Newcastle stuff or any Sports Direct stuff in 11 years, but I haven't heard of an organised boycott.

there are groups setting up now to boycott the first game and hopefully more but then the supporters trust comes out with shite about boycotts not working.

We have to have an empty stadium vs Arsenal, televised game, make a statement that we've had enough. The club is dead!

43 minutes ago, WS_Jack_III said:

there are groups setting up now to boycott the first game and hopefully more but then the supporters trust comes out with shite about boycotts not working.

We have to have an empty stadium vs Arsenal, televised game, make a statement that we've had enough. The club is dead!

If Mike Ashley isn't getting ticket sales and shirt sales he knows he can make more money from selling than owning. And then he'll sell. It would work. AFAIC any fan who invests in the club is complicit in Ashley's destruction of it.

• Upvote 1

City had a similar situation to what Newcastle are experiencing with Peter Swales a long time ago. He was bent as a 9 bob note and sucked the club dry for decades. He absolutely ruined City. Yet he clung on and clung on. It was his grasp to power, it enabled him to become a big wig within the FA. 

There were no boycotts from the fans. Just singing for his exit en masse inside and huge demonstrations outside the ground. We even had Franny Lee waiting in the wings with his consortium, putting pressure onto Swales. None of it worked. It took two fans breaking into his mums nursing home and threatening her, before he relented.

The sad part about Swales was that he was a City fan. 

I would assume Ashley is very thick skinned. Boycotts and the like will not work. People in Asia will still watch Newcastle on TV even if there are empty seats in the ground and they will not care one little bit why they are empty. Unfortunately for the Fans, Newcastles value is increasing. Ashley is not just going to give the club away to appease the fans. 

An empty stadium will get the media talking. For some reason they don't seem to challenge him or his staff on anything. Sky seem to be in his back pocket, always roll his mates out for interviews and never seem to ask questions of his running of the club. 

If fans keep going to the matches they are supporting him and we need to stop because it's just absolute bollocks, no manager, two best strikers aren't at the club anymore, most expensive replica shirt and season ticket prices increased again. Complete and utter joke!

26 minutes ago, jyoung said:

?

giphy.gif

Could be an absolute disaster. Managed a Championship side for 57 games, won 24. No idea how that makes him a good manager for Chelsea who are looking to win leagues and Champions Leagues.

Edited by The Nal