Clueless Independent Article

EMorgz92

10 hours ago, Gnomicide said:

I didn't think it was that bad, but did notice it mentioned Chameleon & Rock the kasbah which aren't going to be there this year.

Also made Glade on a Thursday night sound like the cool bar that used to be next to the Temple. Not sure if they've got the 2 mixed up, but I've never been in glade on a Thursday so maybe it is accurate

• Downvote 1

23 minutes ago, jyoung said:

Spot on. It's fucking boring and tragic watching people scoff at others because they think they 'get' the festival more and 'do it' better. Get off your high horse and stop belittling everyone. Sad.

One year a newbie friend brought a dozen eggs in his rucksack, plus fresh tomatoes, herbs, kitchen knife and a proper wooden chopping board.  I (seasoned vet imo) looked at him incredulously as he pulled all this stuff out of his rucksack. Only one egg had broken. He then made us all amazing omelettes on his stove and at that point I kind of figured it’s not for anyone to tell someone else what not to a bring to a festival.

In ‘17 tho, he decided to bring some halloumi marinading in soy sauce (?) which leaked everywhere in his rucksack. Looking forward to hearing what brilliantly impractical food he’s got with him this year.

Edited by Janaka
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

4 minutes ago, Janaka said:

One year a newbie friend brought a dozen eggs in his rucksack, plus fresh tomatoes, herbs, kitchen knife and a proper wooden chopping board.  I (seasoned vet imo) looked at him incredulously as he pulled all this stuff out of his rucksack. Only one egg had broken. He then made us all amazing omelettes on his stove and at that point I kind of figured it’s not for anyone to tell someone else what not to a bring to a festival.

In ‘17 tho, he decided to bring some halloumi marinading in soy sauce (?) which leaked everywhere in his rucksack. Looking forward to hearing what brilliantly impractical food he’s got with him this year.

In 2004, I brought a veggie chilli with me, which leaked all over all my clothes.  I didn't wear any hats in those days, so I was using a stinking shirt to protect myself from the sun.  I wasn't particularly well prepared that year.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, dentalplan said:

There are a bunch of pics from different Glastos and even one from Coachella, on a quick scan.

Don't see the problem in someone doing the festival differently; I bet not everyone wants to piss in a Lenor bottle either! Swear threads are getting increasingly negative now when y'all should be a bit more excited by this point.

Well said. 

Always good that there are youngsters excited about the festival, even if they have a different perspective.  It would be a very low energy event if all the attendees were grumpy old gits like me.

Some of their tips were Ok, some shite, much like many of the threads here :D 

I didn’t look at or comment on her social media, the article is shit though and we have every right to criticise it.

She’s writing for a national newspaper so we have the right to expect better standards.

A case in point being the bit about not bringing Tomato juice. It seems like she actually just wanted to make the point you can buy decent bloody Mary’s on site... but didn’t know a better way to say introduce this other than to tell us not to bring tomato juice. This is just poor journalism if you ask me.

3 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

I didn’t look at or comment on her social media, the article is shit though and we have every right to criticise it.

She’s writing for a national newspaper so we have the right to expect better standards.

A case in point being the bit about not bringing Tomato juice. It seems like she actually just wanted to make the point you can buy decent bloody Mary’s on site... but didn’t know a better way to say introduce this other than to tell us not to bring tomato juice. This is just poor journalism if you ask me.

Christ, it's a puff piece about going to Glastonbury. I don't think she's going for a Pulitzer.

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

We’re not able to take the piss out of it and have a bit of fun? 

A quick glance on Twitter and she's written about plastic pollution, cervical screenings and child obesity but a bunch of people on here are turning their noses up and making assumptions about somebody they have never met and know next to nothing about based on 1. A single Instagram post and 2. What television show they watch. All because they think she doesn't 'get' their beloved festival the way they do. Perhaps I'm being overly defensive but it's not the first time I've seen members of this forum bashing people in this way. Carry on with your fun by all means but don't act all moral when called out on it.

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, jyoung said:

A quick glance on Twitter and she's written about plastic pollution, cervical screenings and child obesity but a bunch of people on here are turning their noses up and making assumptions about somebody they have never met and know next to nothing about based on 1. A single Instagram post and 2. What television show they watch. All because they think she doesn't 'get' their beloved festival the way they do. Perhaps I'm being overly defensive but it's not the first time I've seen members of this forum bashing people in this way. Carry on with your fun by all means but don't act all moral when called out on it.

Didn't mean to bash the writer and haven't looked at her background or social media etc... Know it's not in the Glasto spirit to slag people off for not doing things 'the right way' and didn't mean to do so.

Was merely commenting on the poorly researched article which recommends newbies to do things which are against the Glasto spirit e.g. the chain of 12 people through a crowd thing ?

1 hour ago, jyoung said:

As I said, I didn’t look at her social media or comment on it, I made no reference to her what so ever, just the article.

Irrespective of the subject I think the article is shit and poorly written, I’m entitled to express my opinion on that,

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Havors said:

This c**t has obviously never been to any other festival bar Wilderness.... pardon the french. 

13 hours ago, dentalplan said:

There are a bunch of pics from different Glastos and even one from Coachella, on a quick scan.

Don't see the problem in someone doing the festival differently; I bet not everyone wants to piss in a Lenor bottle either! Swear threads are getting increasingly negative now when y'all should be a bit more excited by this point.

59 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

As I said, I didn’t look at her social media or comment on it, I made no reference to her what so ever, just the article.

Irrespective of the subject I think the article is shit and poorly written, I’m entitled to express my opinion on that,

You had previously referred to "we" several times when referring to the critics, which kind of lumped you in with some who came from a perspective which didn't necessarily come across to me as light-hearted.  Obviously if there is and therefore it's like the rest of the community here - friendly and helpful, but ripping the piss out of a person, then I'm fine with that.

Even when it's in a national newspaper, these days many writers would get a pittance for such a piece and as is evident from most media they don't spend the money on editing and quality control that they once did.

Edited by clarkete

On 6/12/2019 at 11:40 PM, Sawdusty Surfer said:

Pink isn't well, he stayed back at the hotel.....

Dave. It's Dave, not Pink. Dave isn't well he stayed back at the hotel.

Edited by Northern Soul
I'm just listening to the album now for the 1st time in many years and noticed the anomaly

Blimey. From the reaction of some people, you'd think she's claimed to have written the definitive article on Glastonbury based on her years of festival experience.

It's just a bit of puff piece she was probably asked to knock out in afternoon to draw some Glastonbury traffic.

FWIW, broadly speaking it's a good article...certainly not 'dogshit'. Pack light, plan ahead is good advice. Can see where she's going with not buying food hungover as you either end up just eating crap or the first thing you see. Picking a camping spot and boxed wine... that's exactly what we talk about isn't it?!

Not sure why people have a problem with a group of people holding hands and working their way through the crowd. Presumably if the same group all stay close and work their way through then that's socially acceptable (cos how else are 12 people going to get through together). Did like her saying to call out the passive aggressive pricks. Needs to be more of that.

Baby wipes - she mentions choosing biodegradable ones (something the OP chose to ignore)

Bit weird that people start going on to her socials (particularly Instagram which she didn't link to) to find evidence of her festival experiences and arguing journalistic standards.

Honestly, this place has got increasingly 'Twitter like' in the last year or so.... there's quite a percentage of posters who just get angry/upset about the smallest things and in a quite bitter, vindictive way. This article is case in point....hardly anyone mentions the very good points she makes.

Edited by Keithy
  • Upvote 4

4 hours ago, Keithy said:

Not sure why people have a problem with a group of people holding hands and working their way through the crowd. Presumably if the same group all stay close and work their way through then that's socially acceptable (cos how else are 12 people going to get through together). Did like her saying to call out the passive aggressive pricks. Needs to be more of that.

Baby wipes - she mentions choosing biodegradable ones (something the OP chose to ignore)

Yeah - well I think people generally dislike these daisy chains or whatever you call them, and I'd tend to avoid doing it. But if you're talking about  young girls, who might not have been to the festival before, who are shorter than the average attendee etc, then maybe give them a break.

And yeah - I noticed the OP had cut out the biodegradeable bit... but then again the actual Glastonbury site says don't bring wipes at all, as even the biodegradeable ones are pretty bad for the environment.