Leaving for Lunch?

rgower194

It's my girlfriends 21st Birthday on the Wednesday of the festival this year, and we were thinking of leaving the festival to go out for lunch after setting up our tent etc. I was wondering if anyone had any experience with this or if you think this is a good idea?

Thanks in advance!

You can go back out and come back as long as you keep your pass out slip however there is so much to see and do at the festival it would be a waste in my opinion.

Take a nice picnic lunch and sit up the stone circle and over look the festival.

You can always go out for dinner when you get home!

• Upvote 1

Few questions in order to answer this properly..

- why do you want to go elsewhere for lunch when there are hundreds of amazing and varied food places on site including Deluxe Diner which can be booked in advance if you really want a sit-down, posh-ish knife-and-fork kind of meal?

- what question are you actually asking - is it around the logistics of leaving? As long as you keep hold of your ticket throughout, you are allowed to pass out and back in from the festival as many times as you like and they have separate lanes for re-entry so you wouldn't have to rejoin the main entry queue

- logistics of re-entering? If you left for lunch, when you came back to the site you would be joining the main scrum of Wednesday arriving traffic, so probably not the best plan unless you are going somewhere walking distance from the site - again why would you when so many options right on your doorstep!

Maybe re-phrase your question/make it clear what you are looking for?

While there is no right or wrong answer, to me it seems not worth it - partly due to the logistics of getting out and in again, traffic etc, and partly because once you're inside you want to remain immersed in the atmosphere and it seems like a waste to leave. I think there's somewhere on site you can book a 3 course sit down meal isn't there? Although probably not on the Wednesday.

9 minutes ago, Ripple said:

You can go back out and come back as long as you keep your pass out slip however there is so much to see and do at the festival it would be a waste in my opinion.

Take a nice picnic lunch and sit up the stone circle and over look the festival.

You can always go out for dinner when you get home!

This....

stay on site and appreciate what you have there.!

You can leave very easily as others have pointed out however you can go to a restaurant any day of the year whereas the experience at Glastonbury is more of a special occasion in my eyes. I personally think leaving would be crazy. You could bring a picnic or you could spend the money you would have spent on a meal on lots of different food stuff from different vendors. 

• Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

maybe email one of the bakers onsite and get a birthday cake made ... pick it up and surprise her ... much better than any slap up meal ... and dont forget a trip to the birthday tent ... although ive not made it there yet on my Glastonbury birthdays 

Birthday Tent.!!??

31 minutes ago, bexj said:

You might not even be set up for lunchtime, if you're desperate to go out for lunch, then go on your way in... 

This. Unless you are coming in via a bus, or getting on the lines during Tuesday night / Wednesday morning, chances are you will still be setting up at lunchtime Wednesday - if you are lucky

5 hours ago, rgower194 said:

It's my girlfriends 21st Birthday on the Wednesday of the festival this year, and we were thinking of leaving the festival to go out for lunch after setting up our tent etc. I was wondering if anyone had any experience with this or if you think this is a good idea?

Thanks in advance!

As good ideas go, it’s right up there with stretching your scrotum out and nailing it to a bench

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Skelts said:

As good ideas go, it’s right up there with stretching your scrotum out and nailing it to a bench

I was simply going to type ‘worst idea ever’ but then got to your response and you’ve quite literally nailed it.

But to the OP, in all seriousness go and have a serious word with yourself and come back when you’re thinking straight. 

Edited by Deaf Nobby Burton

1 hour ago, EasyUserName said:

New member. Someone interested in the laughs perhaps?

It’s a genuine question. 

If they've only been to Reading or something, where’s there’s nothing to do until the music starts, then I could see why

1 minute ago, Flysheet said:

It’s a genuine question. 

If they've only been to Reading or something, where’s there’s nothing to do until the music starts, then I could see why

Ah. Well, they are in for some fun! To be so innocent again! (Appreciate that sounds patronising, it's not meant to be, but your first time is special, especially if you come with pre-packaged ideas)

1 minute ago, EasyUserName said:

Ah. Well, they are in for some fun! To be so innocent again! (Appreciate that sounds patronising, it's not meant to be, but your first time is special, especially if you come with pre-packaged ideas)

Run out of upvotes...??

If it was my birthday during the festival I'd like my other half to surprise me with a nice picnic on site, or maybe even a meal at the diner, then followed by a trip to the cider bus, then some cuddling in the tent. Then more cider. 

You could go for a meal out in Pilton or Glastonbury village any other day of the year, but this whole experience is possibly a once in a lifetime thing. (Ticket sales are getting harder every year!)