East campervan - first time with kids - help!

Isabelo

Hi,

We usually stay at Worthy View but this year we're bringing the kids (6 months and 2.5) and we're in a mild panic about what the hell we're doing. We've got campervan tickets for East quiet field. We've had a good read through everything that's been asked before on kids and campervans and have found most of the info we need (thanks!) but still a bit sketchy on some things.

Distance to east cv field and hill of death - I'm a bit confused as we chose east quiet based on the fact it said it was for families and people with access issues but it sounds like it's quite far away and has a killer hill?! The little one is too small for a trolley/trailer so we're going with an all terrain 3 wheel buggy - will we be able to wheel this up and down the hill every day? I'm guessing not if there's mud like 2016 but in semi-reasonable conditions is it doable? How does the walk into the site compare with the walk from Worthy View to the railway bridge?

We're planning to arrive on Tuesday morning and I guess we won't have much choice on where we're put but just in case the steward takes pity on us is there any particular place we could try asking for to make the daily commute more bearable?

Our campervan is 7m in length, from looking at other posts it sounds like we could put a tent or gazebo in next to us for storage / shade / shelter - is a 4 man tent pushing it? are we better just going with the gazebo? 

We've been reading loads to make sure we bring all the essentials but if there's something you found really useful, particularly with kids, that might not be so obvious we'd love to hear it. We're in a hired campervan so it's not going to be particularly kid friendly.

Thanks so much

Edited by Isabelo

Okay I will try to help as much as I can

The hill of death goes from Ped gate C up through E21 to E20. It's not that bad and you should not have trouble with a buggy and the hill has gravel on it.

I can walk from any of the East Quiet CV fields to gate C in 10 mins or under, and you can be at the Pyramid stage in 20 mins. 

E20 and E23 are great fields if you can get into them however they tend to be the most difficult to get out of due to traffic on Monday. I can't see a problem with the 4 man tent just tall them when you arrive you have an awning and they will leave you more space.

I am sure someone else will be along with more advice

40 minutes ago, Isabelo said:

Hi,

We usually stay at Worthy View but this year we're bringing the kids (6 months and 2.5) and we're in a mild panic about what the hell we're doing. We've got campervan tickets for East quiet field. We've had a good read through everything that's been asked before on kids and campervans and have found most of the info we need (thanks!) but still a bit sketchy on some things.

Distance to east cv field and hill of death - I'm a bit confused as we chose east quiet based on the fact it said it was for families and people with access issues but it sounds like it's quite far away and has a killer hill?! The little one is too small for a trolley/trailer so we're going with an all terrain 3 wheel buggy - will we be able to wheel this up and down the hill every day? I'm guessing not if there's mud like 2016 but in semi-reasonable conditions is it doable? How does the walk into the site compare with the walk from Worthy View to the railway bridge?

We're planning to arrive on Tuesday morning and I guess we won't have much choice on where we're put but just in case the steward takes pity on us is there any particular place we could try asking for to make the daily commute more bearable?

Our campervan is 7m in length, from looking at other posts it sounds like we could put a tent or gazebo in next to us for storage / shade / shelter - is a 4 man tent pushing it? are we better just going with the gazebo? 

We've been reading loads to make sure we bring all the essentials but if there's something you found really useful, particularly with kids, that might not be so obvious we'd love to hear it. We're in a hired campervan so it's not going to be particularly kid friendly.

Thanks so much

Hi, you don't need to worry. Loads of families have been in your position and will no doubt be again this year.

East quiet means you'll be at most 10-15 mins from the gate (will be shorter if you get there Tues morning). There is the 'hill of death' by Ped Gate C, but the name is somewhat tongue-in-cheek - it's nothing like the hill up to Worthy View and really not an issue, unless, for some reason, you've been 'on it' for most of the day/week...

Having said that, wheeling a big buggy up there won't be the easiest thing, but you'll manage. All terrain 3-wheeler sounds ideal. Make sure you pimp it up with fairy lights for safety in the crowds.

A big benefit of East CV is that you come straight in to the wonderful Theatre & Circus fields, and are immediately near the Kidz Field - much better for kids than WV.

You'll get away with a 4-man tent, no problems, just leave fire lanes clear and be considerate to your neighbours. Although a gazebo (or awning) might be better for your needs. Tell the stewards that as you're parking and they'll leave enough space next to you.

Edited by Brave Sir Robin

It is steep - a rather rapid climb over a short distance.  The OS map has it as a climb from about 32m by the gate to 55m at the entry to E21.  A rise of around 23m, over a distance of 100m or so.  The bulk of that rise is over 50m or so. 

You wouldn't want to do it all that often, but people will give you a hand if you look like you are having a hard time of it. 

As all above.. 

Plus the hill is a bit of a nightmare but if you find yourself struggling I'm sure people will help.. Tent yep it's an awning.. And as you are getting there Tuesday you should be able to get right up the fields.. 

Have fun enjoy be safe 

Hi, 

I'll follow here. I have also campervan tickets for East quiet field and bringing a 10 months old. I'm just a bit stressed about the tickets itself. We have to come from abroad and don't have the tickets yet but we also have to leave next week to make it in time. In worst case we have to pick them up at the office box at the festival which is at gate a. We have no idea how we are going to arrange that with our kid and going around the whole festival to get the tickets and to arrive at the campervan site. Do you already have your tickets? 

2 hours ago, Isabelo said:

Hi,

Thanks so much

having a 2.5 year old under your feet in a van may be challenging (never done it but it is bad enough with grown ups).. create some outdoor space.. lots of people take windbreakers(me included), use them to create a child proof pen.!

The HoD makes unfit people puff a bit, its not the south face of the Eiger.. the shortest route down is the steepest, there is a longer much more gentle route you can take to the side.. but as already said, people will grab hold of any buggy and help you carry if you were struggling.

2 hours ago, Kelis said:

Hi, 

I'll follow here. I have also campervan tickets for East quiet field and bringing a 10 months old. I'm just a bit stressed about the tickets itself. We have to come from abroad and don't have the tickets yet but we also have to leave next week to make it in time. In worst case we have to pick them up at the office box at the festival which is at gate a. We have no idea how we are going to arrange that with our kid and going around the whole festival to get the tickets and to arrive at the campervan site. Do you already have your tickets? 

Do you have an address in the UK you can get to, to pick up tickets before arriving? If so, check with See if you can change your details to that address. Also, drop the main Glastonbury site an email via 'contact us', they may be able to advise on the gate A / gate C issue you have and maybe send the tickets on. Doubtful, but possible. Good luck!

Thanks so much everyone, really appreciate it, feeling less panicked now! One more question - the water tank in the van is 100L, how many times are we likely to need to refill this over the course of a week? Planning to have a few quick showers and I guess we’ll have a filthy toddler to clean most days. Just wondering whether it’s worth buying an aqua roll?

3 hours ago, Kelis said:

Hi, 

We haven’t had our tickets yet but we realised last week we hadn’t updated our address so we rang SEE and they said they were just about to be printed - that was last Tuesday. A friend has received his main festival ticket and had an email a few days before to say it was being dispatched, we haven’t had anything yet and other friends haven’t but I’m hoping to hear something very soon! I would second the suggestion to contact SEE, they were really helpful with us, good luck. 

48 minutes ago, Isabelo said:

Thanks so much everyone, really appreciate it, feeling less panicked now! One more question - the water tank in the van is 100L, how many times are we likely to need to refill this over the course of a week? Planning to have a few quick showers and I guess we’ll have a filthy toddler to clean most days. Just wondering whether it’s worth buying an aqua roll?

its a bit of an expense.. We have a caravan and so run ONLY off an aquaroll, we have a small internal tank for hot water.. We get the water from the aquaroll (£40 ?) to the caravan via a submersible pump (abouy £40) not sure if you would need this also.?. We probably get through an aquaroll every other day (with a couple of showers and washing up..)

maybe get a 20 litre water carrier (about a tenner) as an emergency backup.? It will be heavy to carry but you may not need it.. 

Edited by BlueDaze

2 hours ago, Isabelo said:

That depends on usage, but probably just twice. I fill ours up with 3 brew barrels, ie 3x5 gallons, and then 2x5 gallons halfway through, and still have some left over, after showers etc.

We do 'sailer showers' which are get wet, turn off the water, wash, rinse, get out, which saves water usage, and there are 3 adults.

Are you ok with campers? If not, I'd suggest getting some guidance from the company before you set off, turning on and off heating, water, where fuses are and spare ones in case something happens, how the batteries work and charge up, how beds get set up. It sounds a lot but it's manageable, and people will be around to help.

Do you know anyone with a trolley and barrels? If so, save yourself £40 and take them to get the water, and maybe a watering can or funnel to help.

Edited by carlosj

12 hours ago, carlosj said:

That depends on usage, but probably just twice. I fill ours up with 3 brew barrels, ie 3x5 gallons, and then 2x5 gallons halfway through, and still have some left over, after showers etc.

We do 'sailer showers' which are get wet, turn off the water, wash, rinse, get out, which saves water usage, and there are 3 adults.

Are you ok with campers? If not, I'd suggest getting some guidance from the company before you set off, turning on and off heating, water, where fuses are and spare ones in case something happens, how the batteries work and charge up, how beds get set up. It sounds a lot but it's manageable, and people will be around to help.

Do you know anyone with a trolley and barrels? If so, save yourself £40 and take them to get the water, and maybe a watering can or funnel to help.

They sent us a 20 minute video demo which we watch last night, all a bit complicated but I'm hoping after the tenth viewing it will sink in and I'll be able to sleep more soundly ;-). Thanks for the water advice, will ask around for some barrels, if not we might just take the plunge with the aquaroll in the hope that it's all a great success and we'll be back next year!!

Just now, Isabelo said:

They sent us a 20 minute video demo which we watch last night, all a bit complicated but I'm hoping after the tenth viewing it will sink in and I'll be able to sleep more soundly ;-). Thanks for the water advice, will ask around for some barrels, if not we might just take the plunge with the aquaroll in the hope that it's all a great success and we'll be back next year!!

If you have any problems just ask a neighbour, I am sure they would be willing to help.

Regarding the water, we have quiet a small fresh water tank on ours, 40L, but if we are careful the 2 of us can shower for the whole festival every day on that! I really wouldn't get an aquaroll because most campervans don't have an external electric pump. The only way to get water into the van is to lift it up and pour it in. As someone above said, buy a 10L water carrier which you can lift.

The important thing is to make sure you know how to use the fridge on gas!

Thnx for the suggestions, I just got my despatch confirmation email. But only for the festivaltickets ?

I called Seetickets and the only pick up point is near gate A, so in worst case we first need to go there. At least there will be special parking for people picking up their tickets at the pick up box. 

I really don't get why such a big festival has such a shitty ticket system. What is wrong with etickets?

42 minutes ago, Isabelo said:

In that case, before you pick it up, ring them to ask for a check when you arrive on the taps for the water system, any that open or close the system, rather than those on sinks. For example, my van has a plug sealing the tank, 2 taps under the sink to drain the system, and a 'pluka' to close off the boiler. If any of those are left open, water pours out, which has happened on the fields. If your hirers check these for you, at least you have water.

2 minutes ago, Kelis said:

Thnx for the suggestions, I just got my despatch confirmation email. But only for the festivaltickets ?

I called Seetickets and the only pick up point is near gate A, so in worst case we first need to go there. At least there will be special parking for people picking up their tickets at the pick up box. 

I really don't get why such a big festival has such a shitty ticket system. What is wrong with etickets?

Think other people have had the same and the CV ticket was in with their festival tickets.

As for the hired field you'll find it is a mixed bag but there are still a lot of families in there. I've found the Tuesday and Wednesday can be a bit noisy but after that usually it's fine as people are mostly on site anyway if they are party animals. 

The hill of death is no big deal. It's a short steep climb but you can stop as often as you want while doing it. Think they've only started posting campervan tickets in the last day or so so no need to panic just yet. 

8 hours ago, Kelis said:

Like @psychology said, I've had emails previously, like this year, where the CV ticket isn't mentioned in the dispatch email, yet I got it in the same pack. You should be ok.

The site won't do etickets as they'd be easy to either change or forge

10 hours ago, carlosj said:

In that case, before you pick it up, ring them to ask for a check when you arrive on the taps for the water system, any that open or close the system, rather than those on sinks. For example, my van has a plug sealing the tank, 2 taps under the sink to drain the system, and a 'pluka' to close off the boiler. If any of those are left open, water pours out, which has happened on the fields. If your hirers check these for you, at least you have water.

Thanks for that, I’ll get onto it.

To lighten your daily load on the "commute" with the pushchair & kids, you could leave an emergency bag of nappies,  spare clothes, suitable snacks etc in the lockup just behind the kids field. Then you only need carry the absolute essentials in& out with you each day.  My 5yo still used our off road 3 wheeler last festival so it'll be fine (and comfy!) For your littler ones! 

Hi, we took our 18 month old in 2014 and he's been with us every year since in East CV

The people in the field are really friendly, we've needed to borrow stuff before what we hadn't thought to bring and had great help off people.

The hill of death buggy push is a bit of a grueller but quite often people have either offered to help us up or actually physically gave us a shove as we're going up, love that glastonbury spirit.

Have a great time!  Looking forward to getting all set up on the Tuesday and that first celebratory drink!

15 hours ago, jen-macg said:

To lighten your daily load on the "commute" with the pushchair & kids, you could leave an emergency bag of nappies,  spare clothes, suitable snacks etc in the lockup just behind the kids field. Then you only need carry the absolute essentials in& out with you each day.  My 5yo still used our off road 3 wheeler last festival so it'll be fine (and comfy!) For your littler ones! 

Thanks for this. The lock up sounds a great idea, is this the same one as by ped gate C? Do you know what the queues are usually like and if there are any times we should avoid? We’ve seen big queues on other lockups so have never used them but we’ll have more stuff this time around so will prob need them. 

12 hours ago, wosman said:

Hi, we took our 18 month old in 2014 and he's been with us every year since in East CV

The people in the field are really friendly, we've needed to borrow stuff before what we hadn't thought to bring and had great help off people.

The hill of death buggy push is a bit of a grueller but quite often people have either offered to help us up or actually physically gave us a shove as we're going up, love that glastonbury spirit.

Have a great time!  Looking forward to getting all set up on the Tuesday and that first celebratory drink!

This is very encouraging, thank you! Looking forward to that drink too ?