Tuesday Night Arrival VS Wednesday Morning Arrival

gratefulbread

On 6/10/2022 at 9:23 AM, Wirral Toffee said:

We're doing exactly the same. Ideally want to stay in Dairy Ground / Bushy Ground or Park Home. Take it we're best aiming for Gate A or D?

We are thinking somewhere in that area too - looks like D is best and hope for the Orange route!

23 minutes ago, Aragorn said:

Do people arriving by coach get in quicker due to own queue line?

PGA has opened before the other gates for at least the last couple of festivals. That’s supposed to be about awarding public transport use but plenty of drivers access PGA from the other side and they get in as well. 

Edited by kalifire

2 hours ago, Aragorn said:

Do people arriving by coach get in quicker due to own queue line?

To the best of my recollection, the coach queue at PGA is kept separate to the car queue.  It has to be as coaches have to keep dropping people and have space to do so.  In comparison, the car parks can accommodate a very, very long line of stationary people.  So coach queue tends to be an overall much quicker experience because there's not a mile long line of stationary people starting on Tues evening.  Coaches generally only start arriving once the gates are open. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, leath02 said:

Having not arrived in the morning before, what time roughly do people reckon we'll be through the gates if arriving at the car parks at 8am?

In 2019 we arrived around 6am, gates opened a little before 8am and we were in and set up in Kidney Mead just before 11am. 2017 was slightly longer wait - both years we entered from the East Side of the site - same plan this year, leaving Oxford around 3am so will likely be queued up around 5.30!

2 minutes ago, Brownie30 said:

In 2019 we arrived around 6am, gates opened a little before 8am and we were in and set up in Kidney Mead just before 11am. 2017 was slightly longer wait - both years we entered from the East Side of the site - same plan this year, leaving Oxford around 3am so will likely be queued up around 5.30!

We're aiming for the West side, but thanks for the info!

Did you join the queue as soon as you arrived?

16 minutes ago, leath02 said:

We're aiming for the West side, but thanks for the info!

Did you join the queue as soon as you arrived?

Yes! Straight down into the queue on both occasions. All jovial stuff at that time in the morning - 2019 was notably quicker than 2017, but as 2017 was my first time I couldn't tell you if we did anything particularly different - it was all a blur! 

I’ve always taken the coach, every year I arrive at gate A roughly around 7am, the queue usually starts moving around 7:30am and I’m usually in and set up by 10/10:30 am. I do recall seeing a second queue in 2019 that wasn’t moving, I assume it was the car park queue though and the coach queue was being prioritised.

18 minutes ago, The Clearest Blue said:

I do recall seeing a second queue in 2019 that wasn’t moving, I assume it was the car park queue though and the coach queue was being prioritised.

That is exactly what happened.  Started queuing at 7-8, didn't get in until the afternoon.  Just what we needed after travelling for 12 hours!

This year we have learned from our mistakes and will be getting the coach to avoid such queue shenanigans! 

9 hours ago, BambooShanks said:

That is exactly what happened.  Started queuing at 7-8, didn't get in until the afternoon.  Just what we needed after travelling for 12 hours!

This year we have learned from our mistakes and will be getting the coach to avoid such queue shenanigans! 

Good decision I reckon, I have mates that all have different approaches, but the most consistent and effective way to get in across the years has always been the coach!

13 hours ago, Brownie30 said:

I live in Abingdon … be aware there are planned overnight (I.e till 6am) roadworks on the A34 next week!

Now that the car parks are opening at 4pm, should make life easier. I am dropping off a car for my son to drive back as he is coming by train from uni. If I park in blue Tuesday afternoon, does anyone think I will have a problem walking to the farm shop (or other land mark) in Pyle to be picked up? This is rather a niche question...