Tuesday Night Arrival VS Wednesday Morning Arrival

gratefulbread

We've been Tuesday night queue people before and we will be again this year, but last year we had Thursday coach tickets despite not particularly wanting to be and realistically it didn't affect my festival much whatsoever. We ended up at Pylon ground and just meant you couldn't nip back to your tent as easily. Maybe made easier bc it was a very dry year and i wouldn't be saying this if it was wet. However, just shows you can think about it so much but ultimately if you camp somewhere else you just see different things.

What do people reckon is the best time on the Tuesday night/Wednesday morning to get a camping spot in Park Home/Pennard Hill/Paines Ground? Trying to devise a plan where I just sleep for the whole of Tuesday to make up for it! This thread is giving me the fear.

The best way to do it, I've found over the last few years, is to get a coach ticket for arriving some time after lunch on Wednesday, and get your mates who are coming by car to put your tent up for you.  They can make the decision about whether to queue up on Tuesday night or go early on Wednesday - whatever is best for them.

I've found this to easily be the least stressful way of arriving.

10 minutes ago, mjfromthelane said:

2016 was hilariously bad. I live near Brighton so not the worst drive. We left at about 2/3am and didn't get into the site until about 2pm.

Yeah that was pretty dire. I was sat with the car turned off, parked up in the middle of the road in a queue for a fair few hours near the Sainsbury's in Street that year. I imagine they and the nearby McDonalds did a decent trade that year. 

7 minutes ago, AlexaM said:

What do people reckon is the best time on the Tuesday night/Wednesday morning to get a camping spot in Park Home/Pennard Hill/Paines Ground? Trying to devise a plan where I just sleep for the whole of Tuesday to make up for it! This thread is giving me the fear.

From what I recall, Pennard Hill usually fills up by 10 so joining the queue before 5am should get you in there.

Park Home and Paines take a little longer to fill so you've got a bit of flexibility there.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Kinkyinuit said:

From what I recall, Pennard Hill usually fills up by 10 so joining the queue before 5am should get you in there.

Park Home and Paines take a little longer to fill so you've got a bit of flexibility there.

Any ideas on when Oxylers fills up?

Happy to arrive around midday. Kidney Mead / Big Ground won't be rammed yet.

Really?

We have stayed in Kidney Mead three times following a through the night drive from Yorkshire with no sleep joining the queue between 6 and 7. This time we are planing to get some sleep first with a pre dawn departure, but I assumed Kidney Mead would be full by the time we arrive and am considering alternatives such as Pylon or Bushy ground, although I do hope to be on site by Midday. 

In 2016 we paid to stay in a lovely little B&B a few miles away from the festival site. Despite this, we ended up stuck in traffic for about 8 hours on the Wednesday and ended up parked in a carpark so far away it wasn't on the map. Although I don't envisage a repeat of that, i dont think I'd be able to relax/sleep properly on the Tuesday anyway, so well be in the carpark/queue ?.

23 minutes ago, gfest2009 said:

In 2016 we paid to stay in a lovely little B&B a few miles away from the festival site. Despite this, we ended up stuck in traffic for about 8 hours on the Wednesday and ended up parked in a carpark so far away it wasn't on the map. Although I don't envisage a repeat of that, i dont think I'd be able to relax/sleep properly on the Tuesday anyway, so well be in the carpark/queue ?.

Yeah this is a scary possibility. Ummmm.

Really interesting replies to this. We usually arrive 6am-ish on Wednesday and join queue immediately but having massively overloaded my bag and being stuck in the constant stop-start queue at Gate A in the heat (along with a nice bit of dehydration) my first two days were a bit ruined.

This year we're planning to get in the queue at 4am-ish on the Wednesday after arriving at midnight. Some friends did so  last year and were in and camped up by 8:30. Can't see me getting any sleep in the car on the Tuesday night but we'll see how it goes.....

done the long night, done the short night they all end up the same in a mess lol....now i do the cv west field but in 2017 in particular we had a great time interacting with the queue couldnt see each other but didnt need too,great fun tuesday night wherever you are

Forgot to add did the riflemans camp triangle/efest meet one year 2012 i think that was particularly messy

Edited by youngatheart

proper sleep, shower and breakfast, hit the car park around 9, in and pitched before lunch.

2016 and 2017 we did WV. Left Weston-super-Mare around 9 and were at the tent by 10.

Never done the overnight queuing but it sounds awful for me personally (even worse in bad weather), especially spending the first few hours of being through the gates catching up on sleep.

1 hour ago, gfest2009 said:

2016 was horrible. I left straight from work on the Tuesday night (admittedly driving from Scotland). Don't think we were in car park till about 4pm. By time we'd set up tent it was about 24 hours since leaving. Was fecked before the festival even started.

funny thing is I wouldn't even slightly consider a time remotely close to Tuesday evening for any other festival. When Friday rolls around it feels like a different festival again from the one you've already spent 3 nights at.

Some advice please guys. If sleeping in the car park, what time do you think you need to get in the queue for to be able to get a spot for a group (let's say 5 tents next to each other) on Pennard Hill? Never managed it but a few of the group are keen to this year. Thanks.

Edit - Oh, and which gate would you come in from please?

Edited by The Martini Police

4 minutes ago, The Martini Police said:

Some advice please guys. If sleeping in the car park, what time do you think you need to get in the queue for to be able to get a spot for a group (let's say 5 tents next to each other) on Pennard Hill? Never managed it but a few of the group are keen to this year. Thanks.

Ouch.  As early as you can, I'd guess!  Not helpful, I know.

4 minutes ago, EasyUserName said:

Ouch.  As early as you can, I'd guess!  Not helpful, I know.

Also, the whole idea of sleeping in the car and then getting in the queue at some point near gates open is a great one until you say all the people walking past your car to get in the queue, we couldn't resist so we followed

12 minutes ago, The Martini Police said:

I’ve arrived in the q around 6am and had no problem getting a space for 2 large tents in Pennards, you are best going in by gate D. 

Charm x

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, The Martini Police said:

How well are you going to sleep in your car?  assuming it's ok weather I'd always want to just get in the queue.  I've arrived 5/6 am most times and only once got there late Tuesday night.  If doing the latter do as much as you can to stay dry and warm.

Get in the queue at 5/6 am and you'll probably be in by 11ish, with the second half of that wait being stop-start, you probably want to be in the queue earlier for multiple tents together in Pennards.  Having said that, 2013 there was loads of space there, every year is different!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Charm said:

I’ve arrived in the q around 6am and had no problem getting a space for 2 large tents in Pennards, you are best going in by gate D. 

Charm x

Hah, way off my experiences - I hate gate B!!!