drugs - stay safe

eFestivals

2 hours ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

Someone I know was grabbed by tbe sniffer dogs at Boomtown last year. 

That was a fun moment. I'd already gone through, but turned around and his tent was being opened. 

Opening his tent? Hmmm... going to have to rethink my hiding spots

6 minutes ago, vintagelaureate said:

I spoke to a police dog trainer once about what exactly a dog can be trained for: it's usually not multiple substances and it is do with people's reactions as mentioned above. 

As I understand it, the biggest limit is that the training takes a while and needs to be done one smell at a time - so if you start trying to cover everything possible, both explosives and drugs, the dog will die of old age before it's ready for operational use.

Dogs are not very accurate and will get lots of false negatives and false positives. I was sniffed going into Bestival once and the dog 'gave an indication', I was then fully strip searched. I had nothing illicit on me. They said even being vaguely near people smoking, for example in the campsites, could be enough to trigger the dog but also it could just be random. 

41 minutes ago, Tommy Dickfingers said:

Dogs smell fear if you ask me. How many have you heard of walking past them with a load of gear? How many people you know walking past them nothing on them and the dog going mad? The amount of people at Glastonbury will overload a dogs senses. Just don’t flap it and you will be fine. 

Weirdly there's actually some science behind this. Sniffer dogs are biased by their handlers perception of a positive "catch" even when there's nothing to detect: https://health.ucdavis.edu/welcome/features/2010-2011/02/20110223_drug_dogs.html

56 minutes ago, Tommy Dickfingers said:

Dogs smell fear if you ask me. How many have you heard of walking past them with a load of gear? How many people you know walking past them nothing on them and the dog going mad? The amount of people at Glastonbury will overload a dogs senses. Just don’t flap it and you will be fine. 

I got sniffed by a dog at All Points East last year.  Had to go to a search tent that already had quite large queue.  I had nothing on me and I think most of the queue was the same. 

Just now, HotChipWillBreakYourLegs said:

I got sniffed by a dog at All Points East last year.  Had to go to a search tent that already had quite large queue.  I had nothing on me and I think most of the queue was the same. 

Exactly. I’ve lost count the amount of times I’ve walked past dogs with quite a bit of drugs on me. 

What happens when you go into one of these tents? They search you more thoroughly? If your drugs are up your arse then surely they don’t have the right to bend you over and have a look. That’s got to be the job of the police and police only. Can you refuse to be stripped searched? They’d have to arrest you wouldn’t they and strip search you at the station.

Someone I know got caught by the dog at all points east last year. They asked him what he had and he said nothing, they then said the dog has got you so you either confess and put it in bin or they search and charge if they find. He gave up his one pill and they just let him in. We were all very worried in the 15 minutes this took whilst waiting for him

I've walked past a (apparently) drug sniffing dog at Secret Garden Party a fair few years ago, and it didn't detect any of the different drugs on me. Maybe it was just a normal dog, and they were using it to shit people up.In any case, surely the best thing to do is to assume the worst and that you will come in to close contact with a trained, alert (they can only work for limited periods at one time, apparently) drug sniffing dog. Surely the best approach it to prevent the dog from being able to smell the (your) drugs in the first place. There are non porous plastic bags available on the market, which will not let a dog get the chance to detect your stash.If you are worried, then buying a few of these has got to be a good investment. Use gloves to put your gear in to the bags,then double bag the bag with the gear in it. Then secrete it where an almost forensic search will not find it ie not just wrapped up in your tent. 

Let's face it,  a sniffer dog and the police resources around it are going to be thin on the ground, compared to the number of people entering the festival. 

By the way, I've been to loads of Glastonbury's and never once saw a sniffer dog - or any other dog for that matter.

4 minutes ago, Tommy Dickfingers said:

Exactly. I’ve lost count the amount of times I’ve walked past dogs with quite a bit of drugs on me. 

What happens when you go into one of these tents? They search you more thoroughly? If your drugs are up your arse then surely they don’t have the right to bend you over and have a look. That’s got to be the job of the police and police only. Can you refuse to be stripped searched? They’d have to arrest you wouldn’t they and strip search you at the station.

I just had to turn out my pockets, had my wallet searched in detail and had a pat down.  Didn't have to strip or, in the words of Snow, "Looked down me pants, look up me bottom". 

5 hours ago, barcelonista1899 said:

Searching on exit is an odd one. I've seen it happen to people, usually early hours as I imagine security are bored.

Not sure what would happen if you were to refuse if you were going off site as it's a condition of entry not exit? 

Happened to a mate, he was staying in the CV fields and got absolutely mangled one day so another mate took him back.

Because he was in a bad way they stopped him on the way out, they found a little bit of this and that on him, took it off him took a picture of him and my other mate and sent them on their way.

Edited by Deaf Nobby Burton

Hypothetically speaking I wonder what would happen if, just to suppose, you rubbed a bit of weed etc on your jeans (careful not to get much on your fingers) but carried nothing whatsoever in and stood with your mates. Your mates might have something but you stand close to the dog as you all walk in. Just a thought...

51 minutes ago, semmtexx said:

Hypothetically speaking I wonder what would happen if, just to suppose, you rubbed a bit of weed etc on your jeans (careful not to get much on your fingers) but carried nothing whatsoever in and stood with your mates. Your mates might have something but you stand close to the dog as you all walk in. Just a thought...

Not quite the same but I know of people who’ve taken a decoy stash of a small bag of weed in their pockets so that they can just hand that over if pressed to give up their drugs. Don’t know how much that’d work mind as they’ve never been pulled - would they continue to sniff/search you after giving something up, regardless of how big/small it is?

2 minutes ago, gratefulbread said:

This always becomes something I stress about. To the point where I consider not bringing anything, but then I'll regret that decision and probably get ripped off on the inside. 

I used to stress out about it, but then you realise just how many drug carriers pass through the gates without a bat of an eyelid. You have to be pretty unlucky to get pulled aside for a full search, and it really isn’t worth stressing out about the 1000/1 chance of it happening. Fuck buying stuff in there.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, gratefulbread said:

This always becomes something I stress about. To the point where I consider not bringing anything, but then I'll regret that decision and probably get ripped off on the inside. 

This here is one of the inherent problems of prohibition. Most people continue to do the things they like. They generally don't want to get hurt, most overdoses are accidental. Usually people buy something off someone they know, potentially test it with a kit, maybe take a tester amount. Makes it a little safer. They then go to venue, see security (or whatever, police, dogs etc) on the door and are induced to behave irrationally. They either bin it and buy something inside - now a totally unknown quantity (I don't mean numbers here I mean the characteristics are unknown), or they bosh the entire lot and accidentally overdose. 

https://volteface.me/sniffer-dogs-harm-good/

I'm not condoning use but suggesting in some circumstances prohibition can lead to harm.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

Not quite the same but I know of people who’ve taken a decoy stash of a small bag of weed in their pockets so that they can just hand that over if pressed to give up their drugs. Don’t know how much that’d work mind as they’ve never been pulled - would they continue to sniff/search you after giving something up, regardless of how big/small it is?

I think they'd carry on checking. I guess if they (whoever they are!) want to be difficult then quantity doesn't matter. Illegal is, after all, illegal. Hopefully the reality is less black and white. 

9 minutes ago, Skelts said:

Is this your plan for travelling from Canada?! ?

I would shit bricks trying to take anything through border control ? 

On the way to London I got pre screened in Canada and they wanted to swab my tablet. I had a flash back to the last party I had, and remembered someone using my tablet like a mirror. I also had an edible in my bag for the flight. I didnt stop shaking for a good 20mins ?. Luckily the test came back negative. So as an FYI in Canada they for sure arent swabbing for drugs!

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, MetaKate said:

Unless you've decided to use nature's back pocket. 

I would be worrying about the effects of all the magnesium people have been talking about taking on ones continence at a stressful moment!