drugs - stay safe

eFestivals

1 hour ago, guypjfreak said:

One thing I noticed at Glastonbury and boom this year was no one really interacted with each other.. No hey old son where you from. You having a good one etc.. Now I'm not the most outgoing person as those who know me know but even I found it hard to get people to chat, have a can with etc.. 

Don't get me wrong there wasn't any straight up aggression.. Every one said sorry mate or here you go mate as you walked around but that was it.. 

I had some great chats with people at Boomtown this year. Did a lot of solo gigging as my mates were all into dnb and I'm not so big into it. 

After the Streets on the Saturday ended up chatting with a guy from Bristol who was trying to find Poco Loco. Ended up staying with him for a few hours, chatting about Glasto, Radiohead etc, saw some music with him (Ocean Wisdom was a particular highlight) and sharing our drinks with each other.

Found my mates eventually, he stayed for about 10 mins and then he went "wait, I was meant to meet my mates at Metropolis after The Streets" and went off at around 1.30 trying to find his mates.

And that was just one of many times at Boomtown! Basically, us chatters and sharers are still out there!

Edited by aidenlangan95

10 hours ago, guypjfreak said:

One thing I noticed at Glastonbury and boom this year was no one really interacted with each other.. No hey old son where you from.

Maybe it's the drugs people are on (K in particular) or the fact that the younger generation have their eyes glued to their phones all night but I think days of "what you on where you from" kind of talk that leads to complete strangers being best mates for the night are long gone unfortunately. 

7 minutes ago, dccool said:

Maybe it's the drugs people are on (K in particular) or the fact that the younger generation have their eyes glued to their phones all night but I think days of "what you on where you from" kind of talk that leads to complete strangers being best mates for the night are long gone unfortunately. 

There was plenty of that stuff at Moovin this weekend. I went on my own and became firm friends with several groups by the end of the night.

Thats probably more to do with you making the effort to start a conversation than people approaching you and starting a conversation. I could quite easily go to any festival solo and have a few groups to hang out with after a day or so. My kids (late teens/early twenties) as much as they are very chatty and outgoing like me are still very in the "social media/glued to their phone" brigade. Which doesn't help in any way. 

5 hours ago, OG said:

Thats probably more to do with you making the effort to start a conversation than people approaching you and starting a conversation. I could quite easily go to any festival solo and have a few groups to hang out with after a day or so. My kids (late teens/early twenties) as much as they are very chatty and outgoing like me are still very in the "social media/glued to their phone" brigade. Which doesn't help in any way. 

Maybe I was just lucky and there was a little bit of effort from me but some of it was people approaching me rather than the other way round!

To be fair, none of these events happened at Relic or Nucleus; only near the front at Lions Den and the Town Centre or to/from those places.

Also, it helped that my phone had no signal at all so there was no point going on it!

On 8/27/2019 at 10:42 AM, guypjfreak said:

Loop needs to be in every festival imo 

My son just got back from reading and overheard this.. 

Kid 1...hey I got slammed in that mosh pit 

Kid 2... If you had had your blade you could have slashed him up 

Fucking nightmare ahhh 

I remember when we had good pills and everyone loved everyone now they do K or worse and it's completely different.. 

One thing I noticed at Glastonbury and boom this year was no one really interacted with each other.. No hey old son where you from. You having a good one etc.. Now I'm not the most outgoing person as those who know me know but even I found it hard to get people to chat, have a can with etc.. 

Don't get me wrong there wasn't any straight up aggression.. Every one said sorry mate or here you go mate as you walked around but that was it.. 

Maybe being 50 really does show and I'm just to old lololol 

Don't lose faith, Guy.

I met lots of lovely people on the dancefloors and made new, if only brief, super fun friendships! Maybe it's a generational thing...

Ben

This is something I feel really strongly about. 

I've been going to gigs and festivals for years but this year I have noticed a massive shift. It's to be expected really when a demographic with not much disposable income can buy ket cheaper than they can buy booze. 

They need to close all the loopholes around front of house testing and make it a massive focus that the police won't nick you for getting half a pill or a bit of powder from your stash tested. I think most 17 year olds are scared to death of utilising the services because they think there will be consequences 

We can't police it effectively and as a nurse whose seen one too many tragic ends in resus, it feels like it's endemic right now. We can't stop it. We can encourage it to be safer though rather than drug use feeling punitive.

I dread Reading/Leeds and Creamfields weekend, mainly because it's a younger demographic and despite a billion warnings, think they are invincible. I dread reading about those tragic fucking parents who waved their kid off to a festival but who hasn't got to welcome them home again

• Upvote 2

This is something I feel really strongly about. 

I've been going to gigs and festivals for years but this year I have noticed a massive shift. It's to be expected really when a demographic with not much disposable income can buy ket cheaper than they can buy booze. 

They need to close all the loopholes around front of house testing and make it a massive focus that the police won't nick you for getting half a pill or a bit of powder from your stash tested. I think most 17 year olds are scared to death of utilising the services because they think there will be consequences 

We can't police it effectively and as a nurse whose seen one too many tragic ends in resus, it feels like it's endemic right now. We can't stop it. We can encourage it to be safer though rather than drug use feeling punitive.

I dread Reading/Leeds and Creamfields weekend, mainly because it's a younger demographic and despite a billion warnings, think they are invincible. I dread reading about those tragic fucking parents who waved their kid off to a festival but who hasn't got to welcome them home again

• Upvote 1

Fucking nightmare ahhh 

I remember when we had good pills and everyone loved everyone now they do K or worse and it's completely different.. 

That's just disgraceful that your lad heard that. Too much scum about.

Re Glasto chats... it was more alive than ever with interaction with randoms for me. Our group adopted a legend of a Geordie lad who was fed up with his Mrs, and another guy we met on the hill and his friend. I'd hate it if that kind of thing started to die out, it's a large part of what makes the festival, that feeling of unity. 

Oh shit am I getting the 2020 excitement already? It's too soon!!!

16 hours ago, Digi said:

All very well said and hats off to you for doing such an extraordinarily challenging job.

As a steward I am definitely collecting more OD causalties each year now than back in 2005 when I started. Most are ket but sometimes crystal MDMA or bad pills. One guy at Bearded last year had literally chewed off both his upper and lower lips which were serrated and dangling, claret everywhere by the time we got to him. Saved a life at Shambala the year before I reckon where some lass had gone into seizure then stopped breathing. Her mates were fuckin hopeless and refused to tell us and medics what she'd had. I told them they were shit mates that were helping to get her killed.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

On ‎8‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 9:51 PM, dccool said:

That's not my experience to be honest - we met lots of strangers this year who are now festival friends.  I don't mean this in a rude way but perhaps the change is not just with the other people?  

7 hours ago, stuie said:

That's not my experience to be honest - we met lots of strangers this year who are now festival friends.  I don't mean this in a rude way but perhaps the change is not just with the other people?  

The change is not just other people I totally agree with that. In comparison to when I was clubbing most weekends during the late 90s and 00s i definitely find it harder to spark up conversation with some randoms.

I was referring to clubbing rather than festivals in my original post. Met some great people and had some wonderfully weird conversations with strangers at Glastonbury but in a club situation I find the atmosphere much less open. This has a lot to with the drugs clubbers take nowadays and the fact that I'm 15-20 years older than most of the ravers.

Fucking nightmare ahhh 

It was my first time at Glastonbury this year and I was a bit disappointed with the level of interaction I had with people. I’m up for having a laugh with new people but felt that most randoms I spoke to just weren’t that chatty. This was younger and older generations  

I’m comparing this to previous festivals I’ve been to like Rockness in Scotland (RIP), where I’ve met people that are still my mates to this day...

It’s obviously totally anecdotal though, this was like 15-20 people out of 210,000 on site...

I'm not the best at chatting to strangers anyway (I live in London - it's not how we roll) but I reckon the heat would have played a part. If anyone had tried to chat to me during the hottest times they would have got very little out of me! 

Anecdotally people were saying 2016 was a great year for camaraderie. I wasn't there but makes sense that mud etc makes people adopt an all-in-it-together mentality whereas the heat makes people just seek shade and conserve energy.

Edited by Zoo Music Girl
  • Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

I'm not the best at chatting to strangers anyway (I live in London - it's not how we roll) but I reckon the heat would have played a part. If anyone had tried to chat to me during the hottest times they would have got very little out of me! 

Anecdotally people were saying 2016 was a great year for camaraderie. I wasn't there but makes sense that mud etc makes people adopt an all-in-it-together mentality whereas the heat makes people just seek shade and conserve energy.

Aye the heat didn't help. I lost my voice pretty badly too (which I blame almost exclusively on IDLES) and by Saturday I could barely make my friends understand me for some of the day. Awful. It always happens a little bit, but this year was off the chart! 

I remember having many, many mud-based chats with people in 2016. And Brexit chats! And Brexit chats in mud....

15 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Yeah, I think this is a fair point. I had a big one on Friday night and was dying on Saturday in the heat. I reckon i said around 5 sentences from 12-4pm. 

15 minutes ago, Sasperella said:

Aye the heat didn't help. I lost my voice pretty badly too (which I blame almost exclusively on IDLES) and by Saturday I could barely make my friends understand me for some of the day. Awful. It always happens a little bit, but this year was off the chart! 

I remember having many, many mud-based chats with people in 2016. And Brexit chats! And Brexit chats in mud....

That happened to my mate one year. She had to make a little sign to wear on her lanyard saying "I've lost my voice" for when she went to buy anything!

21 minutes ago, Sasperella said:

Brexit and Mud: The Story of 2016

Despite all that it was still a blast.

I do remember talking more to strangers in 2017.

I agree the heat definitely changed the mood. I'm probably wrong, but it also felt like there were a larger amount of first timers, and it takes time get used to how Glasto rolls and that everyone's friendly and open.

Also, I'll talk to anyone who's friendly enough to start a conversation with me, but I'll rarely start one myself. I could blame it on London or that I'm also just a bit shy (until I get to know you haha). 

The only times I can remember talking much to strangers was while filling up water actually.