drugs - stay safe

eFestivals

I'll be indulging a lot less this year, mid 30s and have just gotten a bit bored of it. Conversely, I enjoy drinking now far more than I did in my youth - I used to come to festivals in my 20s with no booze at all as I just wasn't fussed about drinking (but I did indulge in the other stuff).

Funny how things change!

57 minutes ago, Henrik said:

This is how backwards our drug laws are: it's often the legal ones that are more dangerous than the illegal ones. 

This country's drug laws are in desperate need of reform. The war on drugs has been lost and should never have been waged. I can't think of a right more fundamental than the right to peacefully steward the contents of your own consciousness. 

Legalise it all. Take the power away from the criminal gangs. And regulate the lot! 

Hasn't Portugal somewhat decriminalised drugs? Not fully legalised mind you, but not something that will give you a criminal record for having a bit of spliff

I remember a Portuguese guy telling me that there is a serious quantity one can carry before being charged - think like 5g's of cocaine, up to 10 tabs of LSD / pills, god knows how much weed etc. Someone might correct me..

1 minute ago, pentura said:

Hasn't Portugal somewhat decriminalised drugs? Not fully legalised mind you, but not something that will give you a criminal record for having a bit of spliff

it's turned it into a medical issue - and they (essentially) force people to get treatment.

Which is fucking nuts. That's like being sent to the shrink for having a pint. ;) 

I read a book by Ben Elton called High Society years ago which successfully convinced me that all drugs should be legalised.

It's an entertaining read, and really got me thinking about how pointless the war on drugs is and how damaging it is to society.

It'll never happen in the UK though.

1 minute ago, Skoo said:

I'll be indulging a lot less this year, mid 30s and have just gotten a bit bored of it.

Same, my capacity to party hard  diminishes  the further into my 30's I get so I've got to really consider my indulgences a lot more these days.

The last couple of festivals have been  more restrained and I got so much more out of them than previous years when I went full bore party boy every night, not getting going (or even human) before the mid afternoon and being a broken husk of a human being come sunday.

To expand on Andrew WK's thesis on this, when it's time to party, we will party smart.

9 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

it's turned it into a medical issue - and they (essentially) force people to get treatment.

Which is fucking nuts. That's like being sent to the shrink for having a pint. ;) 

I guess that's the first step of the process though. There's addicts out there that want help, addicts that don't want help, addicts that don't think they're addicts, and addicts that don't even know they're addicts.

Gotta cover all grounds and have the proper medical and healthcare support facilities in place for these people, whether they avail of it or not. The stigma  and criminal / degenerate status surrounding addicts needs to be removed from the ground up. That stretches from those who are homeless because of drugs or vice versa, right up to those six-figure salary bankers and those in stable families yet hiding a prescription meds addiction

And certainly after (several) pints, I sometimes feel like I need to go to a shrink!! 

3 minutes ago, pentura said:

I guess that's the first step of the process though. There's addicts out there that want help, addicts that don't want help, addicts that don't think they're addicts, and addicts that don't even know they're addicts.

Gotta cover all grounds and have the proper medical and healthcare support facilities in place for these people, whether they avail of it or not. The stigma  and criminal / degenerate status surrounding addicts needs to be removed from the ground up. That stretches from those who are homeless because of drugs or vice versa, right up to those six-figure salary bankers and those in stable families yet hiding a prescription meds addiction

And certainly after (several) pints, I sometimes feel like I need to go to a shrink!! 

And people who aren't addicts that like to take drugs.  As has been mentioned on here, there are people who only indulge at Glastonbury or similar large occasions.  If you've not taken any drugs for the last 2 years, but intend to in a couple of weeks, you're not an addict.  You're a drug user, but not a drug addict. Denial doesn't come into it.

Just as there are plenty of people who go for the odd pint, but are not alcoholics.

• Upvote 5

Just now, pentura said:

Gotta cover all grounds and have the proper medical and healthcare support facilities in place for these people, whether they avail of it or not.

We're all addicted to water* but we don't get sent to treatment for it. :P 

When addiction isn't a problem it's not an addiction. I agree that some people might have difficulties recognising their problem but we don't screen everyone walking into a pub or buying alcohol at the supermarket. We leave people to present themselves if/when they feel they need help.

*PS: butter is the gateway drug to cheese. 

The drugs debate at official levels is juvenile, which Michael Gove has just proven yet again. ;) 

27 minutes ago, Skoo said:

I read a book by Ben Elton called High Society years ago which successfully convinced me that all drugs should be legalised.

It's an entertaining read, and really got me thinking about how pointless the war on drugs is and how damaging it is to society.

Oh I think it will. I honestly believe future generations will look back at the persecution of drug users with the same sense of shame and horror that we now view the persecution of gay people. Admittedly it make take a couple of hundred years :( Maybe longer under a Tory government.

However, America is leading the way on this. Cannabis now essentially legal everywhere - and Psilocybin now decriminalised in at least 3 states I believe. The tide has definitely turned. 

56 minutes ago, Henrik said:

However, America is leading the way on this. Cannabis now essentially legal everywhere - and Psilocybin now decriminalised in at least 3 states I believe. The tide has definitely turned. 

That's not the full picture.

Bearing in mind they are united states each with their own laws, some of them have very austere penalties compared to us when it comes to being found with a modest quantity of weed.

I'm in my late 50's and have seen almost everything regarding drug use and have lost a few friends to alcohol, drugs & suicide and what I can say is you need to be responsible (as our laws and government are not) if you're going to use drugs/alcohol. What I have noticed is in that in the last few years stronger recreational drugs have never been more easily obtainable and people seem to have shifted to a "Lets get as wasted as possible to have a good time" mentality, whereas we used to use drugs to enhance a good time out.

I have to be extra careful as I'm on strong prescription opiates and mixing them with anything can be lethal (it suppress breathing functions so asphyxia is a distinct possibility).

If you're drinking alcohol - don't drink too much, if you're taking drugs - take as little as possible to get in the state you want to be in.

Mixing alcohol and drugs (prescription or recreational) or poly-drug use multiplies the effects and risk factors.

Remember the advise from the loop https://wearetheloop.org/crush-dab-wait if you're taking pills.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Skoo said:

I'll be indulging a lot less this year, mid 30s and have just gotten a bit bored of it. Conversely, I enjoy drinking now far more than I did in my youth - I used to come to festivals in my 20s with no booze at all as I just wasn't fussed about drinking (but I did indulge in the other stuff).

Funny how things change!

Amen. I'm in the same age boat.  I have to right off my sundays otherwise, Its just not worth it personally.

Plus I've discovered buckfast & doobs is one  of my favorite buzzes. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, bennyboi said:

Amen. I'm in the same age boat.  I have to right off my sundays otherwise, Its just not worth it personally.

Plus I've discovered buckfast & doobs is one  of my favorite buzzes. 

Breakfast Buckie!! Festival essential!! :) 

2 hours ago, Skoo said:

Great book. Blind faith was great all the way through until the end as well and was a bit disappointing. All quite prophetic really. 

2 hours ago, eFestivals said:

yeah I remember watching a bbc doc on it. Not sure about other stuff but it was a lot less hassle being caught with doob in the UK than it was over there! 

I think the Portugese had a big issue with skag, in which case enforcing treatment is a great idea.

33 minutes ago, clarkete said:

Urgh.  People in their 30s talking about themselves as though they're old.

At some stage you'll realise that you're still in your prime compared to how much you'll deteriorate in your later years ?

I'm taking that as words from the wiser older crew to take more drugs in your 30s. 

"But Mrs gherkin8r, clarkete off the internet said it was for the best"

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, gherkin8r said:

I'm taking that as words from the wiser older crew to take more drugs in your 30s. 

"But Mrs gherkin8r, clarkete off the internet said it was for the best"

Ha ha, she'd soon steer you right if she saw what a flaccid and corpulent shell of man I've become :D 

1 hour ago, clarkete said:

Urgh.  People in their 30s talking about themselves as though they're old.

At some stage you'll realise that you're still in your prime compared to how much you'll deteriorate in your later years ?

It’s true though, I’m in my physical & mental prime but I used to be able to spend a weekend on Mandy and carry on like normal on a Monday. 

Now, at the age of 32, I have one tiny dab and I want to kill my self for about a week after. It’s either me or the drugs that have changed. 

4 hours ago, Henrik said:

Oh I think it will. I honestly believe future generations will look back at the persecution of drug users with the same sense of shame and horror that we now view the persecution of gay people. Admittedly it make take a couple of hundred years :( Maybe longer under a Tory government.

I don't think I'd describe the US as leading the way on anything, but there are definitely a few states that are (Colorado, California, Washington) but that's only 3 out of 50. Recreational cannibas is only legal in 11 states. There's other states where you'll be thrown in jail for a joint. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, MetaKate said:

I don't think I'd describe the US as leading the way on anything, but there are definitely a few states that are (Colorado, California, Washington) but that's only 3 out of 50. Recreational cannibas is only legal in 11 states. There's other states where you'll be thrown in jail for a joint. 

You're telling me that if you have a joint these days (in these states), you'll be arrested and thrown in jail?

Edited by gazariath
  • Upvote 3

20 minutes ago, gazariath said:

You're telling me that if you have a joint these days (in these states), you'll be arrested and thrown in jail?

In some states yes. Each US state has different laws on possession regardless of whether it's used recreationally or medically. From completely legal in states like Nevada & California to completely illegal in Nebraska & Idaho.

From a Mother who lost all contact with a child through drugs, I hate to see it spoken of in such general terms .. It is a sad world we live in when you send your adult child off to have a great time and there are people readily giving them something that can potentially end their life .. If it's your thing then fine , I just don't think it's a great idea to justify it, generalise it or publicise it 

• Upvote 2