No new clothes

Sawdusty surfer

Bit of unrest developing in the clothes traders sector. Oxfam have asked people not to buy new clothes at/for Glastonbury. There a surprising numbers of clothes traders at the festival who sell very fair traded ethically sourced environmentally sound new clothes. Posted on the official GFL website Oxfam have posted not to buy. Some very upset traders who have paid some serious wedge to sell their new clothes are understandably disgruntled that it is on the official site. 

https://www.glastonburyfestivals.co.uk/oxfam-asks-you-to-say-no-to-new-clothes-at-glastonbury-2019/?fbclid=IwAR3Rnv2IPY_hMLDY0Y_-qEL8eKq2O4pbfvoJ-My6A5FXGrVcEXjTgKi5tso

2 minutes ago, Sawdusty Surfer said:

Some very upset traders who have paid some serious wedge to sell their new clothes are understandably disgruntled that it is on the official site. 

I’m not surprised. If that’s the festival official line, why did they sell pitches to clothing sellers in the first place? 

It's similar to the single-use plastics messaging and the focus on reducing waste. 

An example of new clothes purchased at the festival... My 2002 festival t-shirt is (just about) still going. As is the hat I bought in 2016... And I love my Park fleece. 

I guess the message could be more about the consideration of the source of the clothes, and what you're planning to do with them post festival. 

1 minute ago, Skelts said:

I’m not surprised. If that’s the festival official line, why did they sell pitches to clothing sellers in the first place? 

It does sound disjointed, as if it's come out of the plastic bottle ban and is too early, and next year, they'll sell less space to less vendors of new clothes?

2 minutes ago, Titters said:

It's similar to the single-use plastics messaging and the focus on reducing waste. 

An example of new clothes purchased at the festival... My 2002 festival t-shirt is (just about) still going. As is the hat I bought in 2016... And I love my Park fleece. 

I guess the message could be more about the consideration of the source of the clothes, and what you're planning to do with them post festival. 

Those Park clothes are recycled from bottles or tyres, I forget which. Looking forward to this year's model.

• Upvote 1

The main target should be  advising folk not to buy from those shops such as primark who flog t shirts for two quid or so .  Clothes that are produced in sweat shops on the other side of the world and are worn a few times then chucked out,  the glasto traders , I always thought , sold quality stuff that’s not available elsewhere and from personal experience I wear it until worn out. It’s part of the festival experience looking through the stalls .  As long as the stuff is ethical I don’t see a problem. 

• Upvote 3

ive purchased some printed t-shirts with the love the farm message ... they have had good use already and will continue to do so for many years .... my ribbon tower hat is made from an old coke bottle and old wristbands which have had one use and powered by batteries that will be solar charged and has environmentally friendly glitter on it as well as the love the farm message again ... think this hopefully will offset the other things on the hat that have been purchased solely for it .... The point being buy and use them more than once and dont dispose of them on the farm 

As @Sawdusty Surfer rightly points out, there are lots of independent traders selling at the festival who take enormous care over how they source, make and deliver their products and who pay heaps to be at Glastonbury - it’s a massive investment for them. I follow quite a few of them and Glastonbury is a great place for me to meet them in person and try on their clothing with a view to buying, as many of them don’t have the kind of online returns policies the big retailers can offer. I have put money aside specifically for this purpose and will definitely be spending it and wearing what I buy for years afterwards. 

3 minutes ago, ravermum said:

As @Sawdusty Surfer rightly points out, there are lots of independent traders selling at the festival who take enormous care over how they source, make and deliver their products and who pay heaps to be at Glastonbury - it’s a massive investment for them. I follow quite a few of them and Glastonbury is a great place for me to meet them in person and try on their clothing with a view to buying, as many of them don’t have the kind of online returns policies the big retailers can offer. I have put money aside specifically for this purpose and will definitely be spending it and wearing what I buy for years afterwards. 

its some of the online return policies that are a cause of the wastage ... much better to try on and buy at the time ... quite right :) 

I understand why they’re saying this, though it’s a little late in the day.

As a separate thought, are they going to ban  traders from selling plastic rain ponchos? You know the thin, crappy ones which pretty much tear as soon as they’re opened? 

Very much looks like a release authored by Oxfam and copied + pasted by glasto fest... I understand and appreciate the sentiment but the cynic (and PR) in me can't help but think maybe some stomping has gone on behind the scenes/ glasto are contractually obliged to post x news stories/ updates from Oxfam to fulfil the sponsorship agreement? 

Either way it's more exposure for the Oxfam clothes tent at the festival ?‍♀️

1 hour ago, scaryclaireyfairy said:

It could be argued that the cheap second hand stuff bought at the Oxfam stalls is more likely to be binned post-fest than the more expensive stuff from the other stalls.

It could also be argued that Oxfam’s second hand clothes are significantly more expensive than some traders of new clothes... ;)

13 minutes ago, ICGenie said:

It could also be argued that Oxfam’s second hand clothes are significantly more expensive than some traders of new clothes... ;)

I’d certainly agree with that and given what is in our local branch I don’t think there’s an argument to suggest that they’ve been ethically made either.