Dubstep recommendations required

Gedh

A couple of festivals or so ago (2013?) spent a happy evening in a tent doing Dad shuffling with my daughter to dubstep. Redlight were one of the headliners I think. 

Any ideas what venue/evening I can go for a repeat this year?

Edited by Gedh

I’ll be following this thread with interest. 

Only thing I feel I’m missing from my ‘line up’ 

I’ve sorted all the smaller/quirky/acoustic/folk stuff. Along with some dnb, electronic and house etc. 

The misses has opened my eyes to all of the more recent indie things on the main stages. Alongside stuff like billie eilish (or however you spell it. 

Only really ubderstood what dubstep was at shindig festival a couple a weeks ago. 

Always been a fan if it’s on a decent soundsystem. 

Anything up to about 2008-09 is fairly solid. Hate to use the phrase but the sound got a bit mainstream around then and a bit too jump-uppy for my liking. Check out some of the old DMZ and youngsta mixes with a decent sub, although sadly I don't think younsta is at the farm this year.

https://soundcloud.com/getdarker/digital-mystikz-bbc-radio-1

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, OffshoreToon said:

IICON has a fair amount of dubstep. Hodge and Kode9 are good places to start. Hessle Audio and L-Vis 1990 should play a decent amount too. 

Do you reckon, Toon? Kode9 yes. I’m not sure Hodge will be spinning stuff at that sort of tempo...

And with Hessle it depends what mood they’re in! I can see their IICON set being more techno/electro 125-135bpm stuff. 

Tbh, there’s not a lot of what is traditionally thought of as dubstep being played atm, is there? London Underground was full of it in 2015...!

Ben

1 minute ago, Robv30 said:

Out of interest. What tempo is dub step then? 

Im sure I can google. But can’t be assed. 

Bpm for other genres (loosely)

house - 120-130bpm

dnb - 87bpm 

dubstep - 140bpm

techno - 125-135bpm

+any others you feel free to add

Roughly speaking 

I've got skin in the game here, as he's a relative of mine, but I've always really enjoyed Distance's sets on the 'Tube, don't think he made it as far as the Boiler Room sets but I'd check out the names on his Chestplate label and any work done with Pinch in the past (Deleted Scenes). Not sure he's ever played the G and doesn't do as much as he used to, but might take your fancy @Gedh

3 hours ago, FLB said:

Foreign Beggars and My Nu Leng used to be quite dubsteppy, not listened to recent stuff though. Both playing a couple of times.

My nu leng I have seen countless times. And foreign beggars managed to empty a stage at shindig festival....any other recommendations ?

21 minutes ago, concerned said:

I think you are missing a 1 in the dnb figure there, ~170 give or take 10

Correct. Jungle you're looking around 155-165, newer Drum and Bass anything between 170-178, some people have been known to push to 180 but that's just a bit too much.

A lot of modern digital equipment that shows a track's BPMs often picks up it at half that rate which I believe has spread the some of the belief that's it's in the 80s range.

3 hours ago, FLB said:

Foreign Beggars and My Nu Leng used to be quite dubsteppy, not listened to recent stuff though. Both playing a couple of times.

Foreign Beggars known to feature in some tracks back in the day, even over DnB. My Nu Leng nowhere near these days. Bass House I believe is the sub-genre but doesn't sound anything like dubstep in my opinion. Still full of weighty bass and not far off the bpm though. Definitely got see them.

I'd definitely go and check out the Sportbanger Mega Rave at Stonebridge. Loefah is there ?

10 minutes ago, Greased-Up Deaf Guy said:

Foreign Beggars known to feature in some tracks back in the day, even over DnB. My Nu Leng nowhere near these days. Bass House I believe is the sub-genre but doesn't sound anything like dubstep in my opinion. Still full of weighty bass and not far off the bpm though. Definitely got see them.

I'd definitely go and check out the Sportbanger Mega Rave at Stonebridge. Loefah is there ?

I’m not an expert. But my nu leng for me is grime/garage/bass. A great night out. But something Ive seen before ?

would deffo recommend for 16-25yr olds though. (I’m 30)