Rock Werchter 2020

5 minutes ago, jonnytee1 said:

Well - shot myself in the foot there  - i was there in 2017 and cant even remember them LOL

Anyway - it does show the problem i was tryting to highlight when you have bands (both KOL and SOAD) headlining a festival 3 years after they last did BOTH with no new material!

But i suppose that's fesivals these days isn't it!

I think we're quite rash on this one. It isn't always easy to get the artists with the new albums every year and I think Werchter does pretty well in this fashion. This year, only SOAD of the headliners isn't coming with a new album (they might announce one but let's not be to hopeful). Last year, each headliner had a new album since their last visit except The Cure. (Tool's album wasn't out yet but they still played new music).

22 minutes ago, polnico said:

I think we're quite rash on this one. It isn't always easy to get the artists with the new albums every year and I think Werchter does pretty well in this fashion. This year, only SOAD of the headliners isn't coming with a new album (they might announce one but let's not be to hopeful). Last year, each headliner had a new album since their last visit except The Cure. (Tool's album wasn't out yet but they still played new music).

Pearl Jam will release an album in March.

4 minutes ago, New identity said:

i pray for a woman as a headliner. Dua lipa, lady gaga, Selena gomez, cardi b, camilla cabello, rita ora or demi lovato. 

Other women i would like to see : claire laffut, Tove lo, Charlie xcx, Suzane and Amy MacDonald 

It's Werchter, not Pukkelpop 😉 

• Upvote 2

I think that it's absolutely crazy that The Killers only get to play for 1h05min before Paul Mc Cartney at TW Classic. There'd be "full" headliner at any festival in the world with a full 1h30 set. I sometimes seem to forget how  "big" Werchter is, but this clearly shows it.

33 minutes ago, polnico said:

I think that it's absolutely crazy that The Killers only get to play for 1h05min before Paul Mc Cartney at TW Classic. There'd be "full" headliner at any festival in the world with a full 1h30 set. I sometimes seem to forget how  "big" Werchter is, but this clearly shows it.

Makes even less sense when they headlined their own day at Werchter two years ago.

30 minutes ago, Aech said:

Makes even less sense when they headlined their own day at Werchter two years ago.

Two years ago they were an obvious "Plan C or D". Merely a RW sub at the peak of their career, announced rather late to headliner standards, and had just failed to sell out the same arena Nick Cave sold out in 10 minutes. 

Small (or rather large) wishlist for tomorrow’s drop:

Belle and Sebastian, Fontaines D.C., Slowthai, Wolf Alice, IDLES, Vampire Weekend, Sigrid, King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard, Angel Olsen, Eefje De Visser, Caribou, Zwangere Guy, Taxiwars, Black Country New Road, Charli XCX,... 

Not all of those of course! But 5-6 out of those would be great. 

Dream modus: FKA Twigs?

And then next week the other friday headliner. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, lighthouse said:

Small (or rather large) wishlist for tomorrow’s drop:

Belle and Sebastian, Fontaines D.C., Slowthai, Wolf Alice, IDLES, Vampire Weekend, Sigrid, King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard, Angel Olsen, Eefje De Visser, Caribou, Zwangere Guy, Taxiwars, Black Country New Road, Charli XCX,... 

Not all of those of course! But 5-6 out of those would be great. 

Dream modus: FKA Twigs?

And then next week the other friday headliner. 

Has Werchter ever booked something jazzy like TaxiWars? 

I think the Barn is too big for bands like that. 

55 minutes ago, Dietediet said:

Two years ago they were an obvious "Plan C or D". Merely a RW sub at the peak of their career, announced rather late to headliner standards, and had just failed to sell out the same arena Nick Cave sold out in 10 minutes. 

Years ago The Killers themselves mentioned the contrast between the fact they're a huge deal in the UK but not quite so much in a lot of Europe. I thought them headlining Werchter was a sign that had changed, but if they were back-up and didn't have a big crowd at RW, then perhaps not. Certainly, its quite something they just sold out a huge amount of tickets for their UK stadium tour but are having relatively smaller slots in Europe.

Though them and Gorillaz as a double-header at Lollapalooza Paris was still wicked.

2 hours ago, Dietediet said:

I don't know about this, saying that The Killers were merely a RW sub at their peak is quite harsh. I get that they're not the biggest band in the world, but a lot of people know quite a few of their songs (of course this isn't enough to be headliner but still), and they are a crowd puller. If we compare them to bands such as Arcade Fire or QOTSA which have also been Werchter headliners in the past (in a co-headline structure it's true), I think they are about the same size, if not bigger. 

10 minutes ago, polnico said:

I don't know about this, saying that The Killers were merely a RW sub at their peak is quite harsh. I get that they're not the biggest band in the world, but a lot of people know quite a few of their songs (of course this isn't enough to be headliner but still), and they are a crowd puller. If we compare them to bands such as Arcade Fire or QOTSA which have also been Werchter headliners in the past (in a co-headline structure it's true), I think they are about the same size, if not bigger. 

But it was an objective statement: one year after the hit succes of Human (their commercial peak in Belgium) they played a 70min set before the headliner, while headlining in a lot of other European countries.

I didn't intend to judge the musical qualities of The Killers, they have their merits. I just think they fall short in Belgian popularity to top a day at a almost 90k capacity festival, without a coheadliner. That and the context of their 2018 announcement make me believe they were not the original plan. And that's okay, it can't all be Foo Fighters/Muse/Pearl Jam sized big shots. 

• Upvote 1