Rock Werchter 2020

21 minutes ago, Red Day said:

PJ would sway me to do RW again but that’s a very quick return if true

New album this time? 2018 was because of the cancellation in 2016.

Pearl Jam loves to be that period in Europe. Visit the locations they love.

Maybe they can party the 4th of July in Werchter, just as in 2010 (the famous bbq with al the American bands backstage, organised by Pearl Jam). 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

4 hours ago, lighthouse said:

Yay. Overkill folowed by overkill.

Alt-J announced for Mad Cool. Another possible act to join the overkill group after 13, 15 and 17? 

21P seems more and more likely now with dates at the end of June and the second week of July. Also good news today with Wilco and Caribou having European dates close to RW.  

And the new song from Tame Impala is made for the bigger stages in my opinion! It can't take that long anymore for them to announce the first dates, I suppose.

6 minutes ago, lightsnowpatrol said:

Oh yh, forgot about them. Do you reckon that's the pool of headliners then or any suprise ones you thinking 

Maybe Kings of Leon or Lana del Rey.

And I guess surprises can always happen:

Arcade Fire, Kendrick Lamar, Frank Ocean, Lorde or a legend like Bruce Springsteen

16 minutes ago, MrTobs said:

Maybe Kings of Leon or Lana del Rey.

And I guess surprises can always happen:

Arcade Fire, Kendrick Lamar, Frank Ocean, Lorde or a legend like Bruce Springsteen

I guess that Springsteen will go to the TW Classic where he usually goes. But I definitely want him at the festival if possible.

14 minutes ago, Ken19 said:

At this moment... don't count on it. 

No surprise, but you can write 21 pilots down, off course . Would be a perfect Werchter act. 

A perfect Werchter act... if each festival goer brings its kid(s). ?

Tried their music the other day. Ugh. And looking at the 'live' clips I don't think I'll become a fan of them any time soon. Friends who saw them at Pukkelpop weren't exactly positive too. The word 'cringe' was mentioned.

Edited by lighthouse

9 minutes ago, lighthouse said:

A perfect Werchter act... if each festival goer brings its kid(s). ?

Tried their music the other day. Ugh. And looking at the 'live' clips I don't think I'll become a fan of them any time soon. Friends who saw them at Pukkelpop weren't exactly positive too. The word 'cringe' was mentioned.

Check out their latest album. Especially Chlorine, Neon Gravestones, Jumpsuit, Bandito. They are definitely a decent band. 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, brightside23 said:

Check out their latest album. Especially Chlorine, Neon Gravestones, Jumpsuit, Bandito. They are definitely a decent band. 

Have heard it, but don't think it's for me. Kinda like Jumpsuit but even that song feels...unfinished? Also seems to be aiming at a much younger audience than I am (at 30), lyrically.

But it's especially their live show that bothers me. It seems a bit... over the top? Saw some footage of Pukkelpop and it looked terrible. Half of the music wasn't played live, they had some really dumb looking crowd participation moments (like a command to the left/move to the right). The show had some really dull 'covers' too (Seven Nation Army, Jump Around...). Only seeing very young kids in practically every live video (to whom that singer addressed a very cheesy 'believe in yourself' speech...ugh) doesn't help.

But I have to admit: haven't seen them live. (Maybe they seem a bit more genuine and emotionally connecting in real life...?

Edited by lighthouse

14 minutes ago, lighthouse said:

Have heard it, but don't think it's for me. Kinda like Jumpsuit but even that song feels...unfinished? Also seems to be aiming at a much younger audience than I am (at 30), lyrically.

But it's especially their live show that bothers me. It seems a bit... over the top? Saw some footage of Pukkelpop and it looked terrible. Half of the music wasn't played live, they had some really dumb looking crowd participation moments (like a command to the left/move to the right). The show had some really dull 'covers' too (Seven Nation Army, Jump Around...). Only seeing very young kids in practically every live video (to whom that singer addressed a very cheesy 'believe in yourself' speech...ugh) doesn't help.

But I have to admit: haven't seen them live. (Maybe they seem a bit more genuine and emotionally connecting in real life...?

They are aiming at a younger audience, especially compared to bands twice their age, but I don't see the problem in that to be honest. And I haven't seen them live either, but I'm hoping they bring a youthful energy to the festival because it needs that too. I would honestly love them co-headlining with SOAD and Royal Blood subbing them for example, but that might be just me.

9 hours ago, lighthouse said:

Saw them at Sziget, any expectation I had has been disregarded: I guess they pass the line between an energic show and an hyper-active show, with too many gimmicks (the drummer on the crowd, the singer on top of the highest point he can reach, potato patato) - it is like a sum of all the rocker gimmicks, from Alice Glass to Eddie Vedder and so on. Maybe this is the reason why "cringe" was used, and I must tell, the word was well used indeed.

• Upvote 1

I too saw them at Sziget and agree with Yelo, their set was full of gimmicks. I can't think of a time when they just simply played the song.

I do enjoy their songs (and I'm in my 40s!), they just need to reel-in those gimmicks. When you have a dozen per show they stop having any impact. Two or three would be good. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, lightsnowpatrol said:

So ATM we are thinking Coldplay, dua lipa, tame impala, twenty one pilots, pearl jam, bon iver. Any other possible headliners I've missed?

Coldplay is guess work since they can both play RW and a stand alone event on the field of Werchter, I think LN will go for option two. There's no rumour about Bon Iver right? I know they're high on RW's wishlist but there's no indication of them touring during summer next year in Europe, right?