Rock Werchter 2020

Yeah they’re a perfect fit for these day festivals, but for RW they’re just too big. 

If they are announced, you can bet their day sells out within a day. I can’t Imagine LN making a great, well balanced day for that day. Why should they, their day is sold out. And I expect very empty tents during their set. So basically if you don’t like Coldplay, you’re screwed.

It would result in a day where 95% of people waiting for the headliner (even more than with other headliners), without any ambiance during the other acts. Acts like Coldplay or U2 (or Daft Punk) are just too big for festivals that aim for a well balanced lineup. 

Edited by lighthouse

29 minutes ago, lighthouse said:

Yeah they’re a perfect fit for these day festivals, but for RW they’re just too big. 

If they are announced, you can bet their day sells out within a day. I can’t Imagine LN making a great, well balanced day for that day. Why should they, their day is sold out. And I expect very empty tents during their set. So basically if you don’t like Coldplay, you’re screwed.

It would result in a day where 95% of people waiting for the headliner (even more than with other headliners), without any ambiance during the other acts. Acts like Coldplay or U2 (or Daft Punk) are just too big for festivals that aim for a well balanced lineup. 

Difference with a couple years ago, they are now filling the days earlier. So it is possible to create a well balanced day...

But off course, they prefer to have Coldplay on one of their day festivals. But sometimes you have no choice. 

13 minutes ago, BlackFoxx said:

Coldplay and Pearl Jam seems like two great big headliners. Then some kinda combinations of Bon Iver/Tame Impala/The Strokes and someone else for the other two days?

You add The National to this lot, and it's line up of the year haha! Bringing back the talk of female headliners or co-head, any idea on who it would if there's one ? Was thinking of Lorde or Lana (or Billie but maybe a little early for a headliner or co-head spot) but not sure at all about how well it'd work. Will there be a female head @Ken19 ?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, polnico said:

You add The National to this lot, and it's line up of the year haha! Bringing back the talk of female headliners or co-head, any idea on who it would if there's one ? Was thinking of Lorde or Lana (or Billie but maybe a little early for a headliner or co-head spot) but not sure at all about how well it'd work. Will there be a female head @Ken19 ?

Bjork ?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 9/25/2019 at 10:01 AM, polnico said:

I love Lana's last album very much, but her performance at the Sportpaleis a few years ago was really not that great. Sportpaleis was also far from being sold out. On the other hand, her new album gets way more airplay on StuBru (and is also better than Lust for Life) and she could maybe attract another, younger crowd to Werchter. If she comes, I just hope they put her in a position in front of an act with a fanbase that is at least interested in her act (I mean: not before Pearl Jam or Foo Fighters, but in front of The Weeknd for example). 

I love Lorde even more, but she didn't even sold out half of Lotto Arena. She would be a beautiful sub, but headliner is too high for now. 

I personally hope for a lot of female acts though. FKA Twigs, CharliXCX, Haim, Big Thief, Kate Tempest, GRIMES, Sharon van Etten ... Werchter has enough beautiful names to chose from! 

• Upvote 1

Well, they've defs improved gender wise on their headliners with both selecting P!nk and Florence + The Machine but I think that's just a coincidence and not really something they're to push but it would really be refreshing to see an act like Lorde atleast sub headline instead of pushing them in their tents like they normally do. I feel like in their eyes a rock act (where it be post punk , metal or whatever) preferabely still gets a mainstage spot over a pop, rap or electronic act (unless they really push with a certain genre on a day like the poppy mainstage run with P!nk or the indie kind of run w/ Mumford and Florence).. Acts like Cardi B, The Weeknd, Lana Del Rey, Lorde, Childish Gambino, A$AP Rocky, Tyler The Creator, The XX etc would really spice things up a bit instead of the usual suspects we're kind of hinting at with RHCP, Metallica, Pearl Jam etc. Sure, Tame Impala, The National and Bon Iver would be three newlings aswell but it's not really the same is it.

On 9/25/2019 at 10:01 AM, polnico said:

Maybe Sam Smith? No Gender issue with "they" on stage ? 

2 minutes ago, arcuse said:

them* and why did you use quotation marks sheesh.

Dennis may be one that doesn't get someone of whom is non-binary. 

People should have there opinion but Instead of being controversial @Dennisf with the quotation marks I would suggest not commenting if you have a problem with it since people can be offended and it is a very touchy subject.

So instead of creating a discussion of it on here in the Rock Werchter thread, nip it in the bud now. 

On the other note, NOS Alive announcement may be a headliner that plays Werchter, the strongest rumour from over there is Coldplay.

1 hour ago, RarerThanDandyB said:

Dennis may be one that doesn't get someone of whom is non-binary. 

People should have there opinion but Instead of being controversial @Dennisf with the quotation marks I would suggest not commenting if you have a problem with it since people can be offended and it is a very touchy subject.

So instead of creating a discussion of it on here in the Rock Werchter thread, nip it in the bud now. 

On the other note, NOS Alive announcement may be a headliner that plays Werchter, the strongest rumour from over there is Coldplay.

Not trying to be controversial or creating a discussion at all... must be completely misunderstood from your side. Just pointing on the fact that aiming at complete gender equality for festival headliners/acts isn't the biggest issue to worry about in times where the gender concept is evolving. Don't we all just want the best available bands on our festivals, regardless their gender? That's the point i wanted to make, but not everyone seems to be confident with humour and irony on this forum.. ? 

2 hours ago, Dennisf said:

That's the point i wanted to make, but not everyone seems to be confident with humour and irony on this forum.. ? 

The quotation marks were implying something else than humor but good that you explained.

Sure, that we all want great headliners.. But do people not get tired to see the same headliners every other year headlining then? See, Pearl Jam, Foo Fighters, Muse, RHCP, Metallica and so on.. You can say a lot about US festivals but atleast they try to spice up their headliners and give artists easily a bump towards a headlining set in comparison to majors in Europe