Rock Werchter 2020

10 minutes ago, BlackFoxx said:

Does anyone know when Werchter usually announce their first acts? Imagine it shouldn't be too long with other festivals in June and July also starting to announce their first headliners.

It’s different each year. Important for Werchter is that they can announce each week an act. It can be next week, next month, november...

• Like 1

On 9/16/2019 at 3:03 PM, Ken19 said:

it’s not a matter of they are a better fit for Graspop or not.

There are a lot of other things that will bring us to the decision. 

Does Graspop need an act as soad to sell tickets? A big difference between the 60000/day Graspop or 90000/day werchter.

Does Graspop need an act as Volbeat to sell (all) tickets?
SOAD for Dessel, Volbeat at Werchter?

Top ten wishlist for this year would be something like:

Pearl Jam, Bon Iver, Modest Mouse, Pixies, Tame Impala, Foals, The National, Death Cab For Cutie, Biffy Clyro, Vampire Weekend

5/6 of those and I'll definitely be there next summer.

23 hours ago, Ken19 said:

Green day has too high demands, and are not that relevant anymore.

I don't know anything about their demands, but given that they are releasing a new album in February, I'd say they will be as relevant as many other bands mentioned in here. Also with a certain certain carrot in charge over there, something tells me this album will create some fuzz as well.

This relevance requirement, will that mean that more clasic/legendary bands like Aerosmith or artists like Bruce Springsteen aren't among those Werchter ever will target (even though the latter are releasing albums regularly?)

17 hours ago, tmolvik said:

I don't know anything about their demands, but given that they are releasing a new album in February, I'd say they will be as relevant as many other bands mentioned in here. Also with a certain certain carrot in charge over there, something tells me this album will create some fuzz as well.

This relevance requirement, will that mean that more clasic/legendary bands like Aerosmith or artists like Bruce Springsteen aren't among those Werchter ever will target (even though the latter are releasing albums regularly?)

Green Day is not a relevant band for a festival as Rock Werchter anymore. Their two last shows at RW were exactly the same. Rather have a newer more modern headliner taking that spot. After all, there is only so much "let's give away my guitar to someone from the audience and pretend we didn't do this last time" Rock Werchter can take. 

I don't care that much about Green Day either. BUT their new single is totally different and even their stage presence is different. Not so much of crowdpleasing and rockstarring in their performance on Jimmy Kimmel it seems, though that might be just because it's one song on TV but that + plus the factr they're doing a huge tour with 4 bands (which I think means they won't play a 3 hours long shows. Maybe means that they're aware of their same old show with too much rockstar-attitude and they might ben changing that... Who knows.

1 hour ago, pigital said:

Green Day is not a relevant band for a festival as Rock Werchter anymore. Their two last shows at RW were exactly the same. Rather have a newer more modern headliner taking that spot. After all, there is only so much "let's give away my guitar to someone from the audience and pretend we didn't do this last time" Rock Werchter can take. 

That said looks 90% certain SOAD will be there and they will likely play pretty much an identical set list to last time. It’s fine for me cause I love them but I find saying bands are not “relevant” anymore very subjective and a little bit pretentious.

Besides the world needs big gateway bands like green day to get people into proper punk music...

30 minutes ago, lighthouse said:

Why are you so certain SOAD will be there. Like you said, they played fairly recently and it seems a bit pointless to have them back without new material whatsoever. Graspop seems much, much more suited right now.

Yeah your right particularly on the back of the dates announced today....never makes assumptions!

10 minutes ago, Boss89 said:

Wouldn't call Anti Flag proper punk either to be honest. I'd prefer more hidden germs like The Lawrence Arms, Pup, A Wilhelm Scream, Not On Tour, Arms Aloft,...

Ok ok....   ?  ...just saying bands like green day are good as a starting point to get people into more interesting music.

Yeah I also prefer the smaller bands, personally can’t stand the crowds the big names draw. Pup are great but don’t suppose they’ll be back next year. interrupters and Fontaine’s are high up on my wish list for next year.

1 hour ago, Steve. said:

That said looks 90% certain SOAD will be there and they will likely play pretty much an identical set list to last time. It’s fine for me cause I love them but I find saying bands are not “relevant” anymore very subjective and a little bit pretentious.

Besides the world needs big gateway bands like green day to get people into proper punk music...

And Rock Werchter is the festival to get people into proper punk music? It's a mainstream festival, and for the main stream festival goers, Green Day will not be relevant anymore. 

Don't get me wrong, I really enjoyed the first Green Day show, and a lot of people that didn't see them will too if they would come. But for Rock Werchter, I believe there are way more suitable artists to wrap a day up. 

Just now, pigital said:

And Rock Werchter is the festival to get people into proper punk music? It's a mainstream festival, and for the main stream festival goers, Green Day will not be relevant anymore. 

Don't get me wrong, I really enjoyed the first Green Day show, and a lot of people that didn't see them will too if they would come. But for Rock Werchter, I believe there are way more suitable artists to wrap a day up. 

Rock Werchter is for a lot of young people their first festival, while they don't know a lot of bands that are not on the radio. So Rock Werchter (sadly) is for a lot of young people the way into everything musicwise.

2 minutes ago, Boss89 said:

Rock Werchter is for a lot of young people their first festival, while they don't know a lot of bands that are not on the radio. So Rock Werchter (sadly) is for a lot of young people the way into everything musicwise.

I just think that for exactly those young people, Green Day will not be the trigger to buy a ticket. And to be honest, that's what in the end(sadly) festivals, and all companies worldwide, are all about. 

Nonetheless, I also believe that RW should have a varied program, so that younger people can always discover a lot of different music. But I feel that Werchter has always had a great variety in artists.

Green Day also kinda acknowledges it themselves that they are more of a legacy band than a "let's top the charts again!" band with their new tour. I mean, Green Day, Fall Out Boy and Weezer, it doesn't get more old school than that. Which is not a bad thing, just not the thing that will sell 90K tickets for a day. 

7 minutes ago, pigital said:

I just think that for exactly those young people, Green Day will not be the trigger to buy a ticket. And to be honest, that's what in the end(sadly) festivals, and all companies worldwide, are all about. 

Nonetheless, I also believe that RW should have a varied program, so that younger people can always discover a lot of different music. But I feel that Werchter has always had a great variety in artists.

Green Day also kinda acknowledges it themselves that they are more of a legacy band than a "let's top the charts again!" band with their new tour. I mean, Green Day, Fall Out Boy and Weezer, it doesn't get more old school than that. Which is not a bad thing, just not the thing that will sell 90K tickets for a day. 

It's not that I want Green Day at RW, so you don't need to defend why they shouldn't play there.

But I find some of your arguments quite questionable. First of all those young people mostly decide to go based on if their friends are going and if Yungblud or Oscar & The WOlf are playing because they like that one song from a couple of months ago (sorry huge generalization but I believe there's atleast a little truth in there).

And okay they are a legacy act with all their hits from a long time ago and they won't hit the charts that easily anymore (though I think they did enter 'De Afrekening' with the singles of their last album a couple of years ago, which is the absolute Rock Werchter-ish charts from Studio Brussels in Belgium). But that's also the case with The Cure, System Of A Down, Linkin Park, Lenny Kravitz, Faith No More, Blur, Iron Maiden,...

3 minutes ago, Boss89 said:

It's not that I want Green Day at RW, so you don't need to defend why they shouldn't play there.

But I find some of your arguments quite questionable. First of all those young people mostly decide to go based on if their friends are going and if Yungblud or Oscar & The WOlf are playing because they like that one song from a couple of months ago (sorry huge generalization but I believe there's atleast a little truth in there).

And okay they are a legacy act with all their hits from a long time ago and they won't hit the charts that easily anymore (though I think they did enter 'De Afrekening' with the singles of their last album a couple of years ago, which is the absolute Rock Werchter-ish charts from Studio Brussels in Belgium). But that's also the case with The Cure, System Of A Down, Linkin Park, Lenny Kravitz, Faith No More, Blur, Iron Maiden,...

Fully agreed with you. I just believe there are better bands out there to get as headliner that can convince any audience. Not only the somewhat older, or only the somewhat younger. 

Anyway there is only a limited number of touring bands big enough to fill the top line of a triple a fest like Werchter and the organisers will have selected the combination which they think will shift the tickets fastest.

I can fully understand why they wouldn’t consider Green Day to be value for money in that regard.Just gets on my tits when people say some band (any band) is not “relevant” anymore. Because for some people they are and I think people should have a little bit more respect for a band that’s been going 30 years....