Rock Werchter 2020

19 minutes ago, lightsnowpatrol said:

I used to look at rock werchter in envy at how amazing it looked , how times are changing 

The thing is that every year we look at old line-up and are amazed by seeing how low some acts that would clearly headline today are placed : Post Malone early barn 2018, same for Kendrick in 2013. I am taking obvious examples here but there are plenty of others. We must remember that these acts grow with time, and they will get placed higher as years go by.

Edited by polnico
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, polnico said:

The thing is that every year we look at old line-up and are amazed by seeing how low some acts that would clearly headline today are placed : Post Malone early barn 2018, same for Kendrick in 2013. I am taking obvious examples here but there are plenty of others. We must remember that these acts grow with time, and they will get placed higher as years go by.

I think it's more the bands they seem to miss these days , I get it's tricky to get the perfect ones each year but I never thought werchter would be missing out constantly

2 minutes ago, alan_ts said:

It could be time for IDLES

Given that they tour with Pearl Jam it's possible!

1 minute ago, polnico said:

I strongly disagree about Post. Kendrick became massively-bigger in the past 7 years. Back in 13 he only had gkmc out. tpab & DAMN really exploded.

Post isn't headliner-worthy in RW. Too small.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, lightsnowpatrol said:

Just never seems as big as it used to be

I think none of the big ones ever will be. There are just fewer and fewer "big" touring bands around and those that are will pretty much be wanted by any big festival, which again drives costs up. At the same time, if they are booked to often, then that becomes an issue. I think this development just will continue and that it will be much harder to run the biggest festivals around, and even more difficult to please everyone. 

I see that there are many names being thrown up there as potential headliners that I don't even think would will sell half of the tickets, and although many of them are good bands, they just don't do it alone. I'm curious to see how the Friday will end up in terms of sales this year, as The Strokes is maybe one of the most wanted bands on this forum, but I'm looking forward to see how much of a crowd they will draw. 

I do not see many better line-ups though. Except for RATM, R+L is awful, Sziget is a joke (unless you like DJ's), NOS not anything to brag about++. Only one that looks decent is Glastonbury, although it remains to be seen, but with the current line-up those that want new names wouldn't be very happy.

I'm not trying to say that RW makes all the right decisions, but I think we're pretty much asking for the impossible. If I get some good undercards and a good line-up at The Slope, I'll be happy with this years edition too.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, polnico said:

Didn't @Jazebel recently said that it wasn't the case recently (not sure though) ?

yeah: ' Doesn't look like one of those will be there.' Which is a shame since RW ticket sales apparently are not that ok, they are playing nearby, can't be that expensive and every festival I go to I see Idles shirts everywhere...but maybe just not that big in Belgium.

21 minutes ago, Ohad said:

Given that they tour with Pearl Jam it's possible!

I strongly disagree about Post. Kendrick became massively-bigger in the past 7 years. Back in 13 he only had gkmc out. tpab & DAMN really exploded.

Post isn't headliner-worthy in RW. Too small.

Posty isn't my fav act either and I wouldn't be the happiest if he ends up as Friday co-head. But he clearly headlines everywhere he goes in the world and sells out arenas in minutes. And I am not talking about the "streaming" numbers because streaming doesn't make someone a head. He shifts tickets, and a lot of them. I think that even if it's not the act i'd like to see, he is co-head worthy.

Edited by polnico