Rock Werchter 2020

Some information mentioned on Festileaks which is also very relevant for the discussion over here: Belgian festivals will only be able to claim insurance funds if their cancellation is mandated by the government. In other words: the financial impact of mass refunds would be a lot bigger if RW decides to pull the plug proactively.

In that light, Ken's comments about a scaled down edition in the works make a lot of sense. The festival needs to have a plan B in case they're not legally obligated to cancel. 

I'm wondering how many artists already pulled out of their Summer tours behind the scenes. There's Haim stating that they're delaying their European tour activity, there's Dutch media reporting that Pearl Jam cancelled their Amsterdam show. Surely there must be more. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Dietediet said:

Some information mentioned on Festileaks which is also very relevant for the discussion over here: Belgian festivals will only be able to claim insurance funds if their cancellation is mandated by the government. In other words: the financial impact of mass refunds would be a lot bigger if RW decides to pull the plug proactively.

In that light, Ken's comments about a scaled down edition in the works make a lot of sense. The festival needs to have a plan B in case they're not legally obligated to cancel. 

I'm wondering how many artists already pulled out of their Summer tours behind the scenes. There's Haim stating that they're delaying their European tour activity, there's Dutch media reporting that Pearl Jam cancelled their Amsterdam show. Surely there must be more. 

This is the same in many European countries, so when the first one gets told to cancel, the dominoes start to fall.. Kind of like a game of chicken..

5 hours ago, Dietediet said:

BICEP was on Annie Mac on Radio 1 last night. Said something to the effect that his whole summer was cancelled.

The national television and medical expert was clear yesterday night, mass events before the end of the summer will be impossible. 

Logical when you see that the virus spreads more and more around the world and it's almost April. Never there will be an event in 12 weeks with 80.00 people. 

It sucks but..  Let's first be healthy and care about eachother. 

• Upvote 1

On 3/26/2020 at 4:14 PM, Festilitis said:

The national television and medical expert was clear yesterday night, mass events before the end of the summer will be impossible. 

Logical when you see that the virus spreads more and more around the world and it's almost April. Never there will be an event in 12 weeks with 80.00 people. 

It sucks but..  Let's first be healthy and care about eachother. 

Prime minister don't want to take this decision earlier. She said she'll think about that when the pic will be reach!

On 3/27/2020 at 9:27 PM, New identity said:

Prime minister don't want to take this decision earlier. She said she'll think about that when the pic will be reach!

They don't talk about it officially. But the experts were clear that mass events before September are unlikely and they use even the word impossible.. 

29 minutes ago, Tremousse said:

According to Zegut, Pearl Jam postpones tour to 2021. 

So it begins, I guess System of A Down will pull out next, Download is already cancelled and I guess Rock am Ring will follow soon.

If RW will go ahead I could see Kings of Leon/Editors jump in, but honestly, everything points to a cancellation 😕

Here in Portugal Primavera Sound postponed to September, Rock in Rio postponed to 2021 and NOS Alive decides at the end of April what it will do.

In my opinion, as hard as it is for me, I already thought that this year we will not have a festival, no matter how much there is a survey of the state of emergency and it takes time to set up the festivals, I do not know how much people will be allowed to be together. in one place.

It hurts to think that my first trip to RW will be postponed!

Much strength for everyone here on the forum.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Dietediet said:

Belgian interior minister said this morning that all festivals will be cancelled. It's just a matter of confirmation by the national security council, which will happen either this or next Friday.

I hope that all belgian festivals will go ahead next year. Imo Belgium is the best country in the world for attending festivals. Nice people, nice atmosphere, nice country and great organization.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Ni&co said:

So no co-head to go along with the strokes  😕

I would love to hear who they had lined up. Bought a day ticket for The Strokes, but so far I was underwhelmed by the announced acts.

4 minutes ago, johnybegood said:

I hope that all belgian festivals will go ahead next year. Imo Belgium is the best country in the world for attending festivals. Nice people, nice atmosphere, nice country and great organization.

Rock Werchter will be back without a doubt. Am even expecting a stronger than ever line up if they are able to combine some of the current big names with those rumored for next year's season (Foo Fighters, Arctic Monkeys, RATM, NIN, RHCP, Metallica, The Weeknd, Tame Impala). 

Other festivals might suffer a worse fate though. We already have several smaller festivals who needed to reinvent their concept after a history of struggles (Ieperfest, Leffingeleuren). Suikerrock was supposed to hold its last edition because the festival wasn't financially viable anymore. We've already heard from several insiders that Pukkelpop is still under financial pressure after some bad years. 

I'd be very happy if they pushed this year's biggest headliners, Pearl Jam, The Strokes, Kendrick Lamar and System Of a Down, to next year. This year had one of the best, most balanced lineups they've had. 🙂Maybe with Tame Impala on the Strokes day and an extra day for a new headliner. 

And I think that will be their top priority, especially if they give the current ticket holders the opportunity to turn their 2020 ticket into a 2021 one. 

A month ago, we, production RW, never expected that we have to cancel RW. The forces of nature... Because of insurance issues, it is important that the government cancels the big events. 

About the bands, the contracts are signed. Most of the bands will we see the next couple of years at RW. That is something that happens a lot in this business, but we have never an idea of. Band A cancels his show in 2015, was never announced, played in 2017 under the same contract. They can also put that artist, with the same contract, on another festival of them... 

Biggest question. What will Rotselaar do with the max of 20 days of RW events in 3 years. We are missing 6 days now. More shows next year ;-). 

Edited by Ken19
  • Upvote 2