Rock Werchter 2020

19 minutes ago, Sneakyfox said:

What do you guys think of this lineup compared to the last ones over the decade?

To be fair I think the main stage is lacking a bit, many names I would've expected to see at the barn are on main stage.

I agree with you. For instance, the line up of Mad cool is better and more diverse compare to this. and also 2018 there was a lot more quailty in the tents. They had to book more bands for the tents and less alternative.

Also The Slope was a lot more indie British in the 2 previous editions.

Maybe they are more minded this year on attract the Belgain and less on the international fans.

5 hours ago, rfnd91 said:

I agree with you. For instance, the line up of Mad cool is better and more diverse compare to this. and also 2018 there was a lot more quailty in the tents. They had to book more bands for the tents and less alternative.

Maybe they are more minded this year on attract the Belgain and less on the international fans.

I think they just go for what they believe is the best line up possible. Ofcourse they are a Belgian festival and will go for what is popular in the region but ofcourse they are also mindful of the international draw the festival has. The festival doesn’t always go for what is exactly popular in the moment like Mad Cool, Reading Festival or Pukkelpop but they seem to do well with the formula they have.

I also feel like they go for artists on the back of new releases, they haven’t booked bands like Alt-J, London Grammar, Royal Blood or Wolf Alice as they’ve not released anything since their last appearance; whereas Mad Cool doesn’t seem to mind. Pearl Jam and The Strokes both have new material coming before this edition, Anderson. Paak has dropped two albums since his appearance two years ago, Thom Yorke, The Lumineers, Liam G, Bombay Bicycle Club and many more all have albums out recently. Ofcourse, SOAD don’t ever have new music but are very popular. The others like Kendrick, Twenty One Pilots etc, haven’t played recently if ever.

I think they are slightly tactical about this though. RW have the foresight to save artists for a better time which works with the small number of stages and artists per day.

20 minutes ago, frontsidecab said:

I think they just go for what they believe is the best line up possible. Ofcourse they are a Belgian festival and will go for what is popular in the region but ofcourse they are also mindful of the international draw the festival has. The festival doesn’t always go for what is exactly popular in the moment like Mad Cool, Reading Festival or Pukkelpop but they seem to do well with the formula they have.

I also feel like they go for artists on the back of new releases, they haven’t booked bands like Alt-J, London Grammar, Royal Blood or Wolf Alice as they’ve not released anything since their last appearance; whereas Mad Cool doesn’t seem to mind. Pearl Jam and The Strokes both have new material coming before this edition, Anderson. Paak has dropped two albums since his appearance two years ago, Thom Yorke, The Lumineers, Liam G, Bombay Bicycle Club and many more all have albums out recently. Ofcourse, SOAD don’t ever have new music but are very popular. The others like Kendrick, Twenty One Pilots etc, haven’t played recently if ever.

I think they are slightly tactical about this though. RW have the foresight to save artists for a better time which works with the small number of stages and artists per day.

totally agree on that!

For my personals taste, I also miss a few larger acts but I know we can't have anything.

Thursday could have had a bigger sub before Pearl Jam, Friday is still in the making, for Saturday I wish they had a larger Barn Head than The Streets and Sunday often gets criticised for not having a huge Mainstream Rock Band like Green Day, RHCP or Foo Fighters as a Festival closer but that is just the way it is.

Sure they put dozens of great acts together and again this is one of the world's greatest line ups of the year but as mentioned before something lacks compared to previous editions.

6 hours ago, rfnd91 said:

In my opinion, the tent line-up is one of the strongest yet. Certainly when you look at 'quality' or compare it to 2018 where you had the likes of Marshmello, James Bay, Parov Steler or Khalid on very high positions in the Barn. This year, tents are maybe a bit more alternative, but almost all good quality acts. Also, some more adventurous bookings like GoGo Penguin or Joep Beving, which I like very much!

The fact that the Slope has a more diverse line-up this year is a good thing, isn't it? Strongest slope ever in my opninion.

The only downside for me on this line-up is the Main Stage line-up during the day and the fact that there are a lot of repetitions from 2017, 18 or 19, even with smaller bands (Miles Kane, Gang of Youths, Last Internationale, Emma Bale ...).  They also lack some more popular names for a younger crowd on the line-up (missing out on all three of FKA Twigs, Tyler and Stormzy for example is strange). Too much dadrock on too high positions I think compared to acts which appeal to a younger crowd. 

• Upvote 2

Make no mistake this is a killer line up. There's lots of diverse acts in there that's going to cause a headache with clashes when the full schedule is released. I've already made 4-5 new discoveries (Alex Cameron, Parcels, Bicep, Big Moon, Ego Kill Talent)  from making playlists over the last few weeks announcements. I think they've nailed it with the mix of new, old and iconic acts. Probably the only compliant I would make is, like others have said, the lack of youth and energy in the headliner acts. Pearl Jam, The Strokes, Pixies, Liam Gallagher and SOAD's were all in their prime about 20 years ago and I can't see them blowing the roof off the stage with spontaneity. TOP have a well polished set they've being playing for a couple of years now.  I don't care much for Volbeat. So it would have been nice to have seen an artist or band who have just released their 2nd or 3rd album given the chance to step up to the plate. I'm still buzzing for it however.   

3 minutes ago, BKKTOM said:

Make no mistake this is a killer line up. There's lots of diverse acts in there that's going to cause a headache with clashes when the full schedule is released. I've already made 4-5 new discoveries (Alex Cameron, Parcels, Bicep, Big Moon, Ego Kill Talent)  from making playlists over the last few weeks announcements. I think they've nailed it with the mix of new, old and iconic acts. Probably the only compliant I would make is, like others have said, the lack of youth and energy in the headliner acts. Pearl Jam, The Strokes, Pixies, Liam Gallagher and SOAD's were all in their prime about 20 years ago and I can't see them blowing the roof off the stage with spontaneity. TOP have a well polished set they've being playing for a couple of years now.  I don't care much for Volbeat. So it would have been nice to have seen an artist or band who have just released their 2nd or 3rd album given the chance to step up to the plate. I'm still buzzing for it however.   

A band with 2 albums is not the kind of band that werchter gives a headliner place, or it must be really something special.  Pearl Jam is a typical headliner for werchter and I hope they will keep doing it. Pixies is not really headliner, more sub, Liam too. 

Ken or Jazebel, are we really waiting for a big name for Friday or will it be a sub? 

A bit pedantic, should have clarified subs as well! 

And i guess it kind of proves my point, maybe its time for RW to evolve if they continually pick the same style of headliners. Be spontaneous, there's 3 other nights if a left field headliner fails.  

*(and subs) 

Edited by BKKTOM

I have to disagree on the discussion above concerning that the headliners are past their prime. I don't think youth equals better concerts. Pearl Jam and SOAD are, imo, one of the best live bands out there, old or not.. Of course I might be biased on the older bands since I'm fulfilling the criteria of the "dad-rock generation"😄

I also think that the line up is the best I've seen in terms of variety this year compared with other festivals

I do agree the line-up is overall pretty good, and in terms of the headliners - I think they are all good and big. The smaller bands are also surprisingly good and fresh.

My main complaint is basically the lack of quality names on main stage, and I really feel like there's a lack in the recent alternative and indie scene. I feel like most big bands here are a bit irrelevant, and there needs to be some diversity between old and new.

2018 had - The Killers, QOTSA, Gorillaz, Arctic Monkeys, Franz Ferdinand, Snow Patrol, Jack White, MGMT, The Kooks.

I feel like they almost skipped this whole scene this time.

I'd really be up for Tame, Vampire Weekend, Foster the People(?), Or anything else either indie or alternative.

Edited by Sneakyfox

1 hour ago, ParanoidTourist said:

I have to disagree on the discussion above concerning that the headliners are past their prime. I don't think youth equals better concerts. Pearl Jam and SOAD are, imo, one of the best live bands out there, old or not.. Of course I might be biased on the older bands since I'm fulfilling the criteria of the "dad-rock generation"😄

I also think that the line up is the best I've seen in terms of variety this year compared with other festivals

I’m 20 years old, and I LOVE Pearl Jam so much, I’m seeing them 3 times this July, I do get your point as not many others of my age love PJ 😉

• Upvote 1