Rock Werchter 2020

I'm very unsure on what festival to do this summer although rock werchter has a bit that interests me like Kendrick, strokes, beck etc the majority of the other acts so far are so bland for me. Hope for some more interesting acts soon . Saying all that I wouldn't say no to kings of Leon on Friday as although they play a lot are a very strong name for co head

1 hour ago, Dietediet said:

I don't even see RW pursuing MCR as a plan Z. Bringing back Editors or Kings of Leon for the 100th time would still shift more tickets. 

I understand it's not really your thing, but it's a bit obnoxious to imply that MCR wouldn't shift tickets

Edited by xydroh

1 hour ago, lightsnowpatrol said:

Think with the evidence that they were a mid afternoon band at their peak in Belgium he has good reason to believe that , different hype in England for them 

Selling out 60k tickets under an hour means something. Even if it's in the uk. It's also undeniable that MCR are bigger now then when they were are their 'peak' 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, xydroh said:

Selling out 60k tickets under an hour means something. Even if it's in the uk. It's also undeniable that MCR are bigger now then when they were are their 'peak' 

I remember the Wolf Alice discussion some years back. 'Why are they not playing The Barn', the Slope will be far too small'. I like Wolf Alice so went to check them out and there was plenty of space at the Slope. Same with Biffy who just aren't that big in Belgium. RW will mostly focus on what Belgians like and sales figures in the UK are simply not a guarantee for tickets sales at the other side of the pond. 

24 minutes ago, Judithmt said:

I remember the Wolf Alice discussion some years back. 'Why are they not playing The Barn', the Slope will be far too small'. I like Wolf Alice so went to check them out and there was plenty of space at the Slope. Same with Biffy who just aren't that big in Belgium. RW will mostly focus on what Belgians like and sales figures in the UK are simply not a guarantee for tickets sales at the other side of the pond. 

The problem with that discussion is that people always bring up UK artists that are big in the UK but smaller in the rest of the world. This is an entirely different thing since it's an American band.

46 minutes ago, xydroh said:

The problem with that discussion is that people always bring up UK artists that are big in the UK but smaller in the rest of the world. This is an entirely different thing since it's an American band.

The fact that the are an American band still does not make them popular in Belgium....they played a 2000 capacity gig at their 'peak'. Why woud they suddenly become a band that will sell tickets now?  About the same sized venues in The Netherlands, so probably won't be drawing a Dutch crowd  as well. Business wise it would just make more sense to dust off the Editors.

https://www.setlist.fm/stats/concert-map/my-chemical-romance-3bd6bcd4.html

This discussion is pointless if you don't want to hear my arguments. At their so called peak they didn't sell out 2 stadiums with a third coming up in the UK. I can only conclude that they are bigger right now than they were then. It's only logical that they are also more popular now in belgium then 10 years ago.

Many MCR fans, at the time, were very young (like 15 years old)  and didn't go to their shows. Now, 7 years later , the story is not the same.. So I agree : McR would definitely have a public wherever they go. The old fans, the new ones, ...

plus, the fact that its a "come back" that everyone have heard of, would bring 'curious' people who dont know them yet. This "come back hype" might be interestng for a lot of festivals, even if some of you disagree..

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, xydroh said:

This discussion is pointless if you don't want to hear my arguments. At their so called peak they didn't sell out 2 stadiums with a third coming up in the UK. I can only conclude that they are bigger right now than they were then. It's only logical that they are also more popular now in belgium then 10 years ago.

I agree that they are bigger now than 10 years ago (UK and Belgium).

But (according to the poster) they were 12th biggest band of their day the last time they played Rock Werchter in 2011. Even if they doubled their fanbase since then, they wouldn't be a headliner or even a co-headliner.

Only way I can see them co-headline is when Werchter really struggles to find someone else. (As it seemed to be the case with Greta van Fleet subbing Muse last year).

Edited by MrTobs
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, xydroh said:

Studio Brussel didn't play a MCR song in years. Not even a word about their reunion in any mainstream Belgian music media. Let's be honest: there is no big hype in the Benelux around MCR returning. Only the fan community getting each other worked up and convincing each other that this is the biggest musical event of the decade. Meanwhile Studio Brussel is treating the Belgian return of The Strokes as a huge milestone, yet everyone agrees they need a second headliner to sell out that day. 

Perhaps they are more popular now in Belgium than they were a decade ago. But if you're a late afternoon act with poor attendance during your peak (talking 2007 here), don't expect to get a coheadlining slot upon your return. 

I actually hope RW announces MCR as fast as possible, along with a first lineup poster. It's been months that fans and non-fans are debating over their spot on the lineup. 

Edited by Dietediet
  • Upvote 4

I'm still curious about this Volbeat headliner thing.

You know I completely trust Jazebel's comments, but they way Rock Werchter presented Volbeat really strikes me odd.

Since they were ruled out for Graspop, it was quite certain that hey would end up here and RW could have announced them like on any day.

So if RW needed to present another headliner when FF/RHCP and others were't available, they could have done a single announcement for Volbeat already in december or last week or on wednesday next week with just the ten names minus Volbeat being announced last friday. Eeven if they're trying to find another strong name for sunday, they could have branded Volbeat as "one of the top acts" like they did it with Nick Cave or Gorillaz in 2018 and calling them headliner later on.

But announcing them with this bunch of others, it feels like Macklemore last year who ended up with a 75 min. slot as third down on main stage. MCR as a third big name for the sunday would be a perfect fit, but the way the MCR thing is shaping up, I guess they are no longer an option for RW.

Jazebel mentioned another act before Volbeat is in the making, are The Offspring still in the game? They could fill the gap between Volbeat and Sum 41 to have a full "Rock am Ring meets Rock Werchter" Festival Day :D

Also we shouldn't expect another strong name besides Pearl Jam on thursday? We had really strong names like Jack White, Black Keys or Arcade Fire right before Pearl Jam in the past and thursday is the hardest day to sell out, not to mention PJ already played two years ago.......this seems strange to me, too. But I can see an act like Alt-J, London Grammar or Greta Van Fleet being bumped up to a Sub Headliner. I saw Roval Blood are playing US Festivals in may with no european shows announced yet. Pearl Jam - Royal Blood - Pixies - Rag N' Bone Man on main stage could be reasonable.

Edited by Hullabaloo92

Offspring are playing Graspop so rather ruled out (FNM is a one time exception I guess)

We still have the likes of Editors, KoL & Placebo available.

I'd love to see MCR because I haven't seen them yet. But if they're asking to be too high on the bill - we know it won't happen. Another band I'd really want to see is Incubus (Barn 2012 headliner - GREAT gig) 

15 minutes ago, polnico said:

Just looked at Foals schedule, they have a gap on the 3rd (that would make them play 4 days in a row though so unlikely I'd say) and the 5th of July. I am still hoping they'll come, but I feel like they'll be at Pukkelpop, given this and the info given at a fan...

Yeah sadly doesn't look likely same with vampire weekend :( if they miss out on tame aswell it seems odd they would miss all three for the last few years yet book some artists more regular than should be 

Edited by lightsnowpatrol

For one time...

Nice quality names still to come for RW. A lot of them. A lot of great female acts too. This batch of names was logic. People who are liking the more commercial names are happy now, the feedback on social media were very clear about that. Most of the people need this type of easy commercial artists. I don't have to say how many criticism they get because it was too alternative (FNM, Pixies, Wilco, Strokes, Thom Yorke... are not those easy mass acts). I'm not happy with every artist, but they fit the RW philosophy perfect. Some names mentioned, people are thinking that they won't come anymore to RW (because they have a loaded schedule or ...) , will still play and will be announced very soon.

Not easy to make the perfect line up, same story every year. And yes, everybody can say that.

Till next time...

PS: stop about MCR, please 😂

• Like 7
  • Upvote 32

you're all just so set in your dislike of mcr that you won't hear anything different. people are travelling from all over the world for the uk show and will no doubt still travel to see them at RW. They are unarguably bigger than bands like KOL right now, who haven't sold out a stadium in years

12 minutes ago, Ken19 said:

For one time...

Nice quality names still to come for RW. A lot of them. A lot of great female acts too. This batch of names was logic. People who are liking the more commercial names are happy now, the feedback on social media were very clear about that. Most of the people need this type of easy commercial artists. I don't have to say how many criticism they get because it was too alternative (FNM, Pixies, Wilco, Strokes, Thom Yorke... are not those easy mass acts). I'm not happy with every artist, but they fit the RW philosophy perfect. Some names mentioned, people are thinking that they won't come anymore to RW (because they have a loaded schedule or ...) , will still play and will be announced very soon.

Not easy to make the perfect line up, same story every year. And yes, everybody can say that.

Till next time...

Good to hear from you @Ken19

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Ken19 said:

For one time...

Till next time...

Thanks for your input Ken! I'm very hopeful about future announcements 😊 

1 hour ago, Ken19 said:

For one time...

Till next time...

Agreed! (although MCR would have been nice). There are already enough announced for me to know that I (again) will have problems navigating the different stages to be able to see all that I want. That said there are also enough artists that I'd prefer that not being booked, but I've learned that a lot of other people liking them will just make sure that there are enough space for me in front of other stages :)

And for those nagging about headliners beeing retro and from the 90's.. Please come up with a few (if any) artists/bands that started after 2005, and that will sell out stadium sized venues year after year. I doubt there are any, and even though one might hit the jackpot with some "flavor of the year" once here and there, this is going to be an even greater struggle for the biggest festivals every year. Some bands will stop touring, but not many (if any) will replace them. After the Spotify era where singles became much more important than albums, I'm doubting that this will change any time soon.  

4 hours ago, Ken19 said:

For one time...

Till next time...

Really nice to hear from you again Ken, glad to see you back for input! 
I love hearing you say there will be enough quality names and female acts as well! Ofcourse it is not easy to create a perfect line up and giving everyone something they like... Targeting on a broad target group with different demands and wishes will always be hard especially in this industry where the supply of acts is different each year.