Rock Werchter 2020

11 hours ago, Hullabaloo92 said:

I read that Red Hot Chili Peppers are only going to play the already announced festival shows to focus more on a new album with John Frusciante. If this is the case we can sadly rule them out......

Ken said some weeks ago RHCP were a valid option for Rock Werchter but he didn't know about the current state. In the first week of December we didn't get a a fifth headliner but Pixies and co. instead. I guess someone cancelled who was planned to be announced during that week.

Chad Smith said: “I was given strict orders for this interview: ‘DON’T TALK ABOUT THE BAND, but, yes, John is back in the band, and everyone knows that. We’re psyched. The festivals are the only shows booked. For now, we’ll mostly be concentrating on new songs and writing a new record. We’re all real excited to make new music.”

I think he meant they won't do an arena tour

15 hours ago, Hullabaloo92 said:

I read that Red Hot Chili Peppers are only going to play the already announced festival shows to focus more on a new album with John Frusciante. If this is the case we can sadly rule them out......

Ken said some weeks ago RHCP were a valid option for Rock Werchter but he didn't know about the current state. In the first week of December we didn't get a a fifth headliner but Pixies and co. instead. I guess someone cancelled who was planned to be announced during that week.

He was talking about American shows, I think. I still think there will be a second leg added to their European festival tour, either during Werchter (which I hope not) or somewhere in August during Sziget. 

In 2019 they announced Bastille on January 16th and then 10 more on the 18th.

In 2018 they announced London Grammar on January 17th, Jack White on the 18th.

Not unrealistic to expect the announcement this time next week. I'm sick for it, I've already booked my tickets + package, just dying to know which big names are up next.

• Like 1

RHCP will only play festivals but I guess a few more will be announced. Coming in Europe just for 4 dates in 2 weeks, that's short. Even if they have the habit to make strange Summer tours. I hope more shows to be announced soon as they still announce festivals for the USA. No shows in Germany and Uk on a tour would be weird.

54 minutes ago, Archi said:

RHCP will only play festivals but I guess a few more will be announced. Coming in Europe just for 4 dates in 2 weeks, that's short. Even if they have the habit to make strange Summer tours. I hope more shows to be announced soon as they still announce festivals for the USA. No shows in Germany and Uk on a tour would be weird.

I'm guessing they are going for a similar tactic to My Chemical Romance in that they're not doing a tonne of festivals this year, rather spreading it out over two years and maximising their earning potential. So 'comeback' festivals this year at very select places (that may skip places like Germany or the UK altogether), a new album later this year/early 2021, and then big festivals riding the wave of a new album next year.

Placebo doing BBK and Mad Cool just after Werchter....they gotta be there.

Mad Cool having 2 missing headliners, none of which mentioned in today's update. Werchter having at least one missing. There has to be a band or 2 who are being kept back until they announce their own 2020 plans. MCR for Mad Cool seems a definite.

15 minutes ago, Padjeq said:

Placebo doing BBK and Mad Cool just after Werchter....they gotta be there.

Mad Cool having 2 missing headliners, none of which mentioned in today's update. Werchter having at least one missing. There has to be a band or 2 who are being kept back until they announce their own 2020 plans. MCR for Mad Cool seems a definite.

There are so many options for Placebo in Belgium. Last festivals they played were Les Ardentes and Rock Zottegem (the place to be for outdated rock bands in Belgium).

On Placebo's website it says Mad Cool July 8-11, but for Cruilla specifically only says July 3, as if they're leaving space to add dates on the 2nd or 4th. They also happen to be opening for 21 Pilots at Mad Cool and it'd be the same at Werchter the next day if they appeared there. I think it's a solid bet.

Still leaves Friday wide open... 

16 minutes ago, BenG92 said:

On Placebo's website it says Mad Cool July 8-11, but for Cruilla specifically only says July 3, as if they're leaving space to add dates on the 2nd or 4th. They also happen to be opening for 21 Pilots at Mad Cool and it'd be the same at Werchter the next day if they appeared there. I think it's a solid bet.

Still leaves Friday wide open... 

With the Cruilla confirmation for Friday, Placebo should only be an option for RW on Sunday.

Les Ardentes has become a pure Rap/RnB Festival, DJ Snake, Meek Mill and Kali Uchis can be ruled ut by the way.

Is there a date for Rock Zottegem yet to come? Their website is still showing the 2019 line up.

4 minutes ago, Hullabaloo92 said:

With the Cruilla confirmation for Friday, Placebo should only be an option for RW on Sunday.

Les Ardentes has become a pure Rap/RnB Festival, DJ Snake, Meek Mill and Kali Uchis can be ruled ut by the way.

Is there a date for Rock Zottegem yet to come? Their website is still showing the 2019 line up.

Placebo played Les Ardentes only very recently in 2017 (when DJ Snake and others were also on the line-up), so the amount Rap/RnB is really not an issue. Rock Zottegem will be second week-end of July, but they could literally play every smaller festival in Belgium (Dour, Lokerse, Suikerrock also to name a few). I just don't think (and hope) they are the kind of band RW is looking for, certainly not on a high position. 

They could theoretically also play on Thursday. But I hope for something else, something better (and more refreshing) to join PJ. 

34 minutes ago, EV123 said:

Placebo played Les Ardentes only very recently in 2017 (when DJ Snake and others were also on the line-up), so the amount Rap/RnB is really not an issue. Rock Zottegem will be second week-end of July, but they could literally play every smaller festival in Belgium (Dour, Lokerse, Suikerrock also to name a few). I just don't think (and hope) they are the kind of band RW is looking for, certainly not on a high position. 

They could theoretically also play on Thursday. But I hope for something else, something better (and more refreshing) to join PJ. 

Les Ardentes has clearly shifted toward hip-hop fully now, 2017 was the last edition with alt-rock headliners. They also tried Massive Attack in 2018 but the crowd, which was mainly made of young Hip-Hop heads clearly wasn't up for it. So I am 99% sure we can count les Ardentes ouf for this one, as their target audience are just usually not interested in this sort of act, and they cost a lot of money.

9 minutes ago, heti said:

Yeah, but then one band would probably end up in The Barn during Pearl Jam ;/

The trio Pixies - Placebo - Pearl Jam to close out the day on the main would be great and I could see it happening. Only thing is that Placebo is playing the next day in Spain so maybe another day of the festival would be easier (Sunday maybe)

The announcements so far have piqued my interest.

Any uninformed and wildly speculative guesses as to who else is likely to be added (as opposed to who you want to be added)? There are usually a few easily predicted names each year.

14 hours ago, SDNL said:

The announcements so far have piqued my interest.

Any uninformed and wildly speculative guesses as to who else is likely to be added (as opposed to who you want to be added)? There are usually a few easily predicted names each year.

Based on festival bookings around Werchter, I expect Haim and Charli XCX.

16 minutes ago, Padjeq said:

Based on festival bookings around Werchter, I expect Haim and Charli XCX.

I think Charli XCX is also very likely to play Boutique with Taylor Swift to be honest. 

I guess that for the bigger names, Volbeat is - unfortunately - the most obvious one. I expect them either before PJ or SOAD. 

Then you have RHCP, FF and KOL who already confirmed some dates in Europe for 2020 (RHCP and FF not that close to Werchter though), but as Foo Fighters are teasing with #FF25, I expect a few more dates to be added. Then you also have The XX, The Weeknd, The Strokes and Tame Impala, who confirmed a new album, but don't have dates yet in mainland Europe. (I've noticed that Perfume Genius is the special guest on TI's tour in the US and he plays Bilbao BBK, so hopefully Tame Impala also comes to Europe then)

1 hour ago, EV123 said:

I think Charli XCX is also very likely to play Boutique with Taylor Swift to be honest. 

I guess that for the bigger names, Volbeat is - unfortunately - the most obvious one. I expect them either before PJ or SOAD. 

Then you have RHCP, FF and KOL who already confirmed some dates in Europe for 2020 (RHCP and FF not that close to Werchter though), but as Foo Fighters are teasing with #FF25, I expect a few more dates to be added. Then you also have The XX, The Weeknd, The Strokes and Tame Impala, who confirmed a new album, but don't have dates yet in mainland Europe. (I've noticed that Perfume Genius is the special guest on TI's tour in the US and he plays Bilbao BBK, so hopefully Tame Impala also comes to Europe then)

Tame Impala this week on facebook posted that June 14th were at the Bonnar Festival in Manchester