Rock Werchter 2020

27 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I said in mad cool but I heard they were doing Coachella the day before their reunion. Consequence of sound confirmed them for Coachella yesterday.

Something has happened. There’s a part of me which wonders whether their absence of dates and the missing mad cool headliner is connected. I wonder if they had a plan to play all these festivals and something changed after their reunion show?

They were deffo in line for Coachella. It wasn’t just me saying they were doing it. There were plentiful sources and their reunion show was promoted by Goldenvoice (Coachella promoters). I wonder if something has changed, maybe there was something with the reunion show they didn’t like. They’ve been silent since.

It is interesting that of the 7 acts 'rumoured' for Coachella over the past week, 6 were bang on and MCR is AWOL.

MCR still have the previously announced dates in Japan and Australia/NZ though don't they? Would imagine if whatever might have happened is bad enough for them to want to pull dates they'd have done it too all of them? Or at least held these dates back with the Coachella/European tour announcement so they had the chance to cancel or change it if they wanted to - for example, after seeing how that first reunion show went. 

I think there's a likelihood MCR are doing a bunch of next year's festivals instead, including Coachella, and just using these reunion shows to test the waters.

Riding high off the back of a new album (which is rumoured for Q4 this year) is probably a lot more creatively fulfilling and exciting than just headlining with no new material out.

Presumably as they still have their Japan and Australia dates in the diary that there's still a real possibility they'll still be about to do something more in the rest of 2020.

Still, the news they're not doing Coachella is still something of a surprise given how heavily linked they were with the event. So the idea it might have some repercussions beyond that can't be discounted, even if I still assumed they were gonna do something for European audiences next year. Guess as these'll be announced between now & the end of March that we just have to wait & see.

8 hours ago, thewayiam said:

Yea I thought MCR at Coachella was odd, really not their seen and especially playing below headliner to a crowd who don't give a shit. 

According the Consequence of Sound, MCR asked for a headliner slot but Coachella didn't want them as a headliner, so they backed out before the poster release and Coachella got Calvin Harris which is his 4th appearance since 2012.

On 1/4/2020 at 6:31 PM, birchtree29 said:

According the Consequence of Sound, MCR asked for a headliner slot but Coachella didn't want them as a headliner, so they backed out before the poster release and Coachella got Calvin Harris which is his 4th appearance since 2012.

Well of course Coachella aren't going to give them a headline slot. 

6 minutes ago, Dietediet said:

Dour is saying it's a Belgian festival exclusive.

Odd. Considered him a certainty as tent headliner after selling out AB twice in no time...

Dour's gotta get their bread too, and I think he's a great act for them so not that surprised....

1 hour ago, ParanoidTourist said:

Ed O`Brien (Guitarist in Radiohead) is also playing Bonaroo. Would be cool to have him at Werchter same day as Thom Yorke. 

I reckon that's something that both of them would try to avoid.

Cos there'd just be too much "will they perform together?" going on, when both of them will be touring to be putting their own stuff out there.

Also see: both Gallaghers at the same festival. :P 

12 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

I reckon that's something that both of them would try to avoid.

Cos there'd just be too much "will they perform together?" going on, when both of them will be touring to be putting their own stuff out there.

Also see: both Gallaghers at the same festival. :P 

Fair Point, although I don't think Ed and Thom hate each other like Noel and Liam;) 

5 hours ago, hfuhruhurr said:

FYI - any UK people going by Eurostar - today is the first day you can book your return journey.

And prices are already going higher. Eurostar bullsh*t. Tickets for July 6th on sale since midnight and already the cheaper tickets gone during the night...

Edited by Archi

I read that Red Hot Chili Peppers are only going to play the already announced festival shows to focus more on a new album with John Frusciante. If this is the case we can sadly rule them out......

Ken said some weeks ago RHCP were a valid option for Rock Werchter but he didn't know about the current state. In the first week of December we didn't get a a fifth headliner but Pixies and co. instead. I guess someone cancelled who was planned to be announced during that week.