Rock Werchter 2020

2 hours ago, lighthouse said:

I’d say the opposite. They have a big crossover factor that matches better with the RW audience than the Graspop one. They also played a better show at RW.

FNM replacing FF is possibly the best replacement ever done by any festival ever. ID take FNM over Foos anytime. Patton is a beast live, and unlike Grohl doesn’t feel the urge to chit chat for 30min...

Why not both?

Foo Fighters headlining with Faith No More subbing?

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Hullabaloo92 said:

Why not both?

Foo Fighters headlining with Faith No More subbing?

Yeah. I'm not that big of a fan of Foo Fighters. ? Saw them last time and they were disappointing. Grohl was quite irritating a lot of the time, yelling about how much 'he wanted us to raaakw' and how the were 'going to play aaaall night!'. He talked for about 20mins or something. Couldn't handle it anymore when they started some random (and not so good) covers so I left early. Whenever they'll be playing again (next year, the year after,..) I'll be in the Barn.

Faith No More is something else though. ?

13 minutes ago, lighthouse said:

Yeah. I'm not that big of a fan of Foo Fighters. ? Saw them last time and they were disappointing. Grohl was quite irritating a lot of the time, yelling about how much 'he wanted us to raaakw' and how the were 'going to play aaaall night!'. He talked for about 20mins or something. Couldn't handle it anymore when they started some random (and not so good) covers so I left early. Whenever they'll be playing again (next year, the year after,..) I'll be in the Barn.

Faith No More is something else though. ?

The thing with me and Foo Fighters is......my first time seeing them live was at Rock am Ring 2015, I was a huuuuuge fan and I just couldn't wait for this concert to come and it literally changed my life. They completely blew me away this day, I'll probably have to tell my grandchildren about it :D

But after this they've been around like every summer, doing the same show over and over again, playing the same songs over and over again, doing the same announcements over and over again....and damn, those cover songs. They should take at least two years off and do a proper arena tour afterwards, but I guess this won't happen ?

I've never seen Faith No More live but they are very high on my to do list. Unfortunately I was too young in 2009 and I couldn't make it in 2015 so I'm hoping for next year.

For me both bands share a special place in my heart so seeing FnM as a FF replacement was a dream come true (although it was 3rd FnM gig for me)

However I do think the same as You guys above - Dave chit chat and covers part is ruining the climate. It's way too long and I always think they could've play some gems of their own (like M.I.A. or February Stars). 

On the other side, Patton & Co. play exactly these songs everyone wants to hear - From out of nowhere, Ashes to ashes, sometimes A small Victory. And they're wild and raw on stage. It's hit-packed, tight set and when it ends you're exhausted because of the intensity and not because of 10-minute jamming.

Still - FnM is more Barn headliner to me in terms of Rock Werchter. Whereas Dave& Co are still one of the most popular bands in the world so no doubt (when it comes to ticket sales) who'll be tempted in the first place.

C'mon guys, i love FNM, but they are nowhere near FF status today. Faith No More is a cult alternative metal act, and their audience is very small comparable to big stadium rock acts. They last played in 2015 i think, and since then the market for that music is probably 3 x smaller then it used it be, it has all gone very pop, trap, urban etc. today FNM can not headline any big mainstream festival, they can headline genre specific fests like Hellfest or Graspop, but nowhere else.

Edited by Andrej

50 minutes ago, Andrej said:

C'mon guys, i love FNM, but they are nowhere near FF status today. 

The status wasn’t the point of this discussion. It’s just that FNM is a more exciting live act. 

That being said, Foo Fighters are slightly on their way back imo. Around 2015 the annoucement of the Foos touring sparked a lot of excitement, whereas nowadays it doesn’t feel special at all. They toured Europe during the last 3 summers, maybe it’s time for them to take some years off... The fact that their last show was very ‘meh’ for me doesn’t help.

21 minutes ago, neacaisa said:

frank ocean is releasing new music, pls bring him back. 

Oh, I would love him, but I'm afraid he asks for a too high position. Seems more likely for Dour or PKP than ... if he tours. 

Besides that, it's finally getting time for Rock Werchter to have a decent hiphop//r&b-act as headliner. Travis Scott, Kendrick, Childish, The Weeknd, Solange to name a few possibilities. But, if we have a hip-hop headliner, we will probably end up with Eminem ... unfortunately. 

34 minutes ago, EV123 said:

Oh, I would love him, but I'm afraid he asks for a too high position. Seems more likely for Dour or PKP than ... if he tours. 

Besides that, it's finally getting time for Rock Werchter to have a decent hiphop//r&b-act as headliner. Travis Scott, Kendrick, Childish, The Weeknd, Solange to name a few possibilities. But, if we have a hip-hop headliner, we will probably end up with Eminem ... unfortunately. 

I second that. Kendrick would be great!

(also no Eminem pls)

21 minutes ago, tmolvik said:

Is Bruce Springsteen a potential headliner for a festival like Werchter if he decides to tour next year (which I assume he does) or doesn't he fit their profile? A typical Ken-question maybe ;)

In 2012 Springsteen was the plan. But finally it didn’t work out. Editors took his place. 

Frank Ocean is a name that is always welcome. In 2013 they did a big effort to get him.

But not main stage. Last tour that was an issue and also his set up. 

6 minutes ago, Ken19 said:

In 2012 Springsteen was the plan. But finally it didn’t work out. Editors took his place. 

Frank Ocean is a name that is always welcome. In 2013 they did a big effort to get him.

But not main stage. Last tour that was an issue and also his set up. 

Thank you for your quick reply. I'm reading that as there is hope, so I'll keep my fingers crossed while imagining Tom Morello joining him on stage for Ghost of Tom Joad, after having played with Prophets of Rage earlier that day... Please let me be blinded by that light..

3 minutes ago, tmolvik said:

Thank you for your quick reply. I'm reading that as there is hope, so I'll keep my fingers crossed while imagining Tom Morello joining him on stage for Ghost of Tom Joad, after having played with Prophets of Rage earlier that day... Please let me be blinded by that light..

POR was Graspop, that was told by someone else earlier on this forum.