Rock Werchter 2020

It will happen at some point, I don't have any info but there were rumours on the Coldplay fanbase about the single being postponed by one week. They've been teasing a lot these last two days.

Anyway with all the rumors going on and Ken's hints, I would be quite pleased with a line-up like this (don't know if that's realistic, Dua Lipa may be too low):

Dua Lipa / The National / Tame Impala

Royal Blood / Coldplay

Liam Gallagher / The Strokes / Lana del Rey

Prophets of Rage / SOAD / Pearl Jam

w/Foals, Lorde, Thom Yorke, Stormzy.. as potential tent closing acts.

Edited by VCF
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Ferda said:

I am surprised just a few mentioned Twenty One Pilots as a potential headliner. They're at Hu/So a week before and played last in 2014 afaik.

Thoughts?

I think it's because that it would be their third headlineshow in Belgium with the same album. That's something Werchter normally doesn't book as a headliner. If they come, I'm quite sure there will be a stronger act above them! 

1 hour ago, VCF said:

It will happen at some point, I don't have any info but there were rumours on the Coldplay fanbase about the single being postponed by one week. They've been teasing a lot these last two days.

Anyway with all the rumors going on and Ken's hints, I would be quite pleased with a line-up like this (don't know if that's realistic, Dua Lipa may be too low):

Dua Lipa / The National / Tame Impala

Royal Blood / Coldplay

Liam Gallagher / The Strokes / Lana del Rey

Prophets of Rage / SOAD / Pearl Jam

w/Foals, Lorde, Thom Yorke, Stormzy.. as potential tent closing acts.

This looks good, but after Ken's hints in the Pinkpop topic I don't expect Coldplay at Rock Werchter but as a seperate event. To quote him:

"they are too big for a festival. Other acts are not really happy to play the same day (you know that a lot of the ticket sales are for Coldplay not for the other acts). Pinkpop was interested, their profile is a big headliner and the other acts are not that important. Werchter wanted to put them on their field for a concert with the same logistics of their festival."

This means that Coldplay isn't a good name if you want to build a good, well balanced festival day (instead of a enormous headliner plus some supporting acts (and very small names in the tents)). Coldplay is much bigger than the last time they played.

Edited by lighthouse

5 minutes ago, everest said:

Did you missed this?

"There will be a tour next summer. But Coldplay and festivals... I expect a combination some festivals, stadiums, fields... In Belgium, it is really clear what it will be. "

I think its obvious they will play rock wercher. Or did I misunderstand?

Well he literally said in the very same text that Rock Werchter doesn't want to book them because they can't build a good lineup around them. So there's that.

Playing a seperate event always was the most obvious, clear choice. That's why he's saying 'it is really clear what it will be'. Coldplay is probably the biggest band in the world, so it's not a smart decision, lineup-wise, to put them on a festival with combi tickets and multiple stages.

Edited by lighthouse

I understand your point and as you said it would probably be better for the festival anyway.

What made me think there's a slight chance to see them perform at the festival (apart from Ken earlier hints - not the Pinkpop post) is that Werchter has already booked Taylor Swift and Billie for their one day events, and I don't really see them giving the TW Classic spot to another poppy name. It could happen of course, but wouldn't Coldplay/Swift/Billie be... too much?

There's still the possibility of a Coldplay gig on their own but if they're back with a big tour they probably need a stadium, and IIRC there's a pending issue regarding future renovations in the King Baudouin stadium. And that is basically the only stadium we have in Belgium where I could see them perform.

Edited by VCF

19 minutes ago, VCF said:

What made me think there's a slight chance to see them perform at the festival (apart from Ken earlier hints - not the Pinkpop post) is that Werchter has already booked Taylor Swift and Billie for their one day events, and I don't really see them giving the TW Classic spot to another poppy name. It could happen of course, but wouldn't Coldplay/Swift/Billie be... too much?

Why would it be too much? These are 3 totally separate events. And I actually think Swift and Billie, despite being huge, aren't as big as Coldplay in terms of ticket sales. So it doesn't make sense to put these acts on separate days but an even bigger act on a festival with 4 days.

27 minutes ago, lighthouse said:

Why would it be too much? These are 3 totally separate events. And I actually think Swift and Billie, despite being huge, aren't as big as Coldplay in terms of ticket sales. So it doesn't make sense to put these acts on separate days but an even bigger act on a festival with 4 days.

Too much in the sense that some could expect from Werchter to put a rockier act at TW Classic to counterbalance with the pop names in their two other day events. But yeah these are separate events so my point may not be valid, I don’t know! In terms of ticket sales it would obviously be a very big move.

That being said, I don’t know who else will be touring at the time and could take the TW spot.

Edited by VCF

17 minutes ago, clasher said:

What? 

No. 

Well, only in terms of ticket sales. Maybe only U2 or Rolling Stones would sell more tickets.

In terms of influence and 'greatness' and musical legacy, of course not. I personally think Coldplay are dull as dishwater. Horrible band that I'll be avoiding like the plague.

Edited by lighthouse
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, lighthouse said:

Well, only in terms of ticket sales. Maybe only U2 or Rolling Stones would sell more tickets.

In terms of influence and 'greatness' and musical legacy, of course not. I personally think Coldplay are dull as dishwater. Horrible band.

Makes complete sense. 

As much as it's hard to admit, I do struggle to come up with names that would move more tickets atm. Not saying I understand that either. 

I remember an article from a Belgian newspaper a couple of years back which outlined that Werchter could have a permit for only a limited amount of events per year. If I recall right they were allowed the 4 day festival plus either 2 or 3 extra events per year.

Unfortunately can't find the article anymore. Was linked in the Festileaks site.

This may affect if Werchter have the permit to put another 1 day event on after they have announced one for Billie and one for Taylor.

24 minutes ago, Jefferke said:

His first mistake? 

Oh, no idee but if you post something like this then the least you can do by now is come back to the forum and tell us what's going on.. I'm sure he is following the forums here......But we can guess what happend. The new music has been delayed for some reason.....

27 minutes ago, MK1 said:

Oh, no idee but if you post something like this then the least you can do by now is come back to the forum and tell us what's going on.. I'm sure he is following the forums here......But we can guess what happend. The new music has been delayed for some reason.....

Delayed. Promo was also one day earlier than expected. Nothing unusual.

We’ll see soon enough.

Sheesh you guys are very sceptic of him despite him showing a lot of evidence that he has some inside knowledge. My guess is that they release their single on Monday or Tuesday with the album information etc attached to it and that the tour gets announced on Thursday/Friday.

• Upvote 1

Due to my failure to get Glasto tix, line up dependent I will likely be interested in RW2020. 

I may know some of you from previous years forums (Hello again!).

Could anyone answer: Do we have any good rumors so far or are we still guessing out our arse?

54 minutes ago, Jimmerz95 said:

Could anyone answer: Do we have any good rumors so far or are we still guessing out our arse?

Thom Yorke (per tour dates), Dua Lipa (per Ken) and Kings Of Leon/Twenty One Pilots (per Hurricane) are the biggest rumors thus far.

Coldplay could play Rock Werchter or TW Classic/Stade Baudouin futhermore are there some rumors about a possible return of Pearl Jam and first time headlining spot of The Strokes and are releasing both Tame Impala and Foo Fighters new music next year. After that you got Red Hot Chili Peppers, System Of A Down, The Weeknd, The National, Bon Iver and Volbeat who are all have been suggested aswell in the thread.

Edited by arcuse