Rock Werchter 2020

On 7/5/2019 at 11:48 AM, Hullabaloo92 said:

If RHCP are no longer a valid option for Rock Werchter (they seemed o be always a safe pick for me),  there have to be A LOT of big artists around in early July 2020, which I think can't be the case, because all major festivals complain about not finding enough strong headliners.

I assume Muse and Mumford & Sons will do a regular festival next year, so they are no option for us in 2020, too.

The "problem" (if there was any) with the 2019 edition was in my opinion, that the thursday didn't fit the rest of the billing and the lack of more stronger undercard names. With homogeneously headliners and better middle size bands the 2020 edition should work a lot better.

@Muse day didn't sell out:  I don't know how much Muse concert tickets cost nowadays in Belgium or the Netherlands, but it has to be less than in Germany (starting at 95 €), so I can understand if someone wouldn't spend 100+ € on a single day ticket just to see Muse with no other interesting acts on the same day besides New Order and Underworld who were playing at the same time

Muse didn't sell out any of their UK dates

On 7/5/2019 at 11:22 PM, Ken19 said:

In 2016 RHCP were originally not booked, they were booked when another band cancelled their performance. Later that year they were not able to sell out the sportpaleis. 

I heard Pearl Jam were planned for 2016, but Paul McCartney stepped in.

So there was another head that cancelled? I guess that could have been this "Coldplay festival tour" that is probably never gonna happen :D

Hmmm, I'm very curious how the 2020 edition will turn out........I'm quite shocked that luster names like RHCP or Muse are no safe options anymore........I mean, what else could be out there?

On 7/5/2019 at 11:22 PM, Ken19 said:

In 2016 RHCP were originally not booked, they were booked when another band cancelled their performance. Later that year they were not able to sell out the sportpaleis. 

21,099 / 21,230 in 2016

Doesn't seem bad to me at all. I'm 99.99% sure at one point every european RHCP gig on that tour was sold out cause I know I couldn't buy tickets for anything. Then some of them got additional tickets. That's how I got Bologna tickets like a week before the show that was sold out for months. Not judging but I don't think RHCP will struggle to sell at least one more tour

Muse seems like only sold out shows in Italy, France and Spain. Stadiums sure but they used to sell out everything

Edited by Nicklord

15 hours ago, Nicklord said:

21,099 / 21,230 in 2016

Doesn't seem bad to me at all. I'm 99.99% sure at one point every european RHCP gig on that tour was sold out cause I know I couldn't buy tickets for anything. Then some of them got additional tickets. That's how I got Bologna tickets like a week before the show that was sold out for months. Not judging but I don't think RHCP will struggle to sell at least one more tour

Muse seems like only sold out shows in Italy, France and Spain. Stadiums sure but they used to sell out everything

Nah, Muse never used to sell out everything. But this tour they played stadium gigs in Russia, Germany and Czech Republic for the very first time. Also, some gigs were nearly sold out like Goffertpark or Lisbon. About UK gigs - prices for those gigs were extremely expensive. London gig took place in the same day with Champions League Final. That could be the reason that I didn't sell out.

There are some bands in the mix but they are not mentioned here. That’s normal. A lot of acts who are now in the mix will change their plans and don’t play festivals next year.

About KOL or RHCP, these bands will always have their place at RW but are not the bands anymore where they would go all in for to have them. Acts as Radiohead, bon iver, pearl jam... are bands they always want, that’s the difference. In 2016 they had a better option (legendary british band), rhcp announced all their festival dates the same day (Pinkpop, opener...), werchter followed a few weeks later. It was the best b plan possible. 

12 hours ago, Ken19 said:

There are some bands in the mix but they are not mentioned here. That’s normal. A lot of acts who are now in the mix will change their plans and don’t play festivals next year.

About KOL or RHCP, these bands will always have their place at RW but are not the bands anymore where they would go all in for to have them. Acts as Radiohead, bon iver, pearl jam... are bands they always want, that’s the difference. In 2016 they had a better option (legendary british band), rhcp announced all their festival dates the same day (Pinkpop, opener...), werchter followed a few weeks later. It was the best b plan possible. 

Please, let's make a deal and make KOL not find a place in RW anytime soon, kay? Thanks a lot

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Sparticus said:

Is that more to say that RW doesn't want to book big guitar bands anymore? From memory Green Day didn't sell out last time they played.

But... they are not the really big guitar bands anymore and they've been way too much at RW last years. 

The best news I've read so far is that RW really tries to book Bon Iver. With their two new songs and maybe a ?new album?, I hope they will succeed next year to have them (co-)headlining! 

They are not must have's doesn't mean won't be there. I reckon those "must have-headliners Ken" is talking about are bands that are not represented more than 1 or 2 per edition. I'd say Radiohead, Pearl Jam, Foo Fighters, Metallica, Muse, Coldplay, Kendrick Lamar, Arctic Monkeys are standalone-headliners that they ABSOLUTE need when they're touring.

Bands like Queens Of The Stone Age, Tool, Faith No More, Blur, The Strokes, Nick Cave as well probably but they're a little bit smaller.

And then you've got the category of Red hot Chili Peppers, Editors, Kings Of Leon, Green Day, Pink, The Killers, Eminem, Mumford & Sons, Depeche Mode, Florence & The Machine,.... Also great but if things from above are possible then these will be Plan B. 

And then there's a 4th category of oldies you barely ever get the chance too (Paul McCartney, U2, The Who, Bruce Springsteen, Rolling Stones, Neil Young,... or reunions from Rage Against The Machine, Oasis, The White Stripes,...). These are probably also must-have's since they're legacy acts and might mix up the lineups every now and then.

About right, Ken?

• Like 1

?

in 2013 the day with green day was totally not sold out (in 2010 they were still a big hit), so in 2017 green day was an option but RW want them to co headline with another band, green day had an other idea and they want to be stand alone headliner. That was not an option for Werchter, and they broke down the negotiations. 

The day would have been soad - green day instead of linkin park. 

3 hours ago, Boss89 said:

They are not must have's doesn't mean won't be there. I reckon those "must have-headliners Ken" is talking about are bands that are not represented more than 1 or 2 per edition. I'd say Radiohead, Pearl Jam, Foo Fighters, Metallica, Muse, Coldplay, Kendrick Lamar, Arctic Monkeys are standalone-headliners that they ABSOLUTE need when they're touring.

Bands like Queens Of The Stone Age, Tool, Faith No More, Blur, The Strokes, Nick Cave as well probably but they're a little bit smaller.

And then you've got the category of Red hot Chili Peppers, Editors, Kings Of Leon, Green Day, Pink, The Killers, Eminem, Mumford & Sons, Depeche Mode, Florence & The Machine,.... Also great but if things from above are possible then these will be Plan B. 

And then there's a 4th category of oldies you barely ever get the chance too (Paul McCartney, U2, The Who, Bruce Springsteen, Rolling Stones, Neil Young,... or reunions from Rage Against The Machine, Oasis, The White Stripes,...). These are probably also must-have's since they're legacy acts and might mix up the lineups every now and then.

About right, Ken?

Afraid to say that Pink belongs better to the must have, given the things they have given up in order to have her this year...

2 hours ago, Ken19 said:

?

in 2013 the day with green day was totally not sold out (in 2010 they were still a big hit), so in 2017 green day was an option but RW want them to co headline with another band, green day had an other idea and they want to be stand alone headliner. That was not an option for Werchter, and they broke down the negotiations. 

The day would have been soad - green day instead of linkin park. 

I do not know if you can reply to such a request, but I was wondering if there were any other major negotiation fail like this one in recent history. Just out of curiosity, I'm a fan of the what-ifs

Some (guitar band) contenders to play higher spots next year I can think off:

- Royal Blood is changing pictures on Facebook, so probably some (album) news incoming. I can see them co-headlining a day at RW during their next passage.

- Ghost announced a European tour without a Belgian date, so could be a contender for a sub position. 

- Slipknot has said to come back in 2020, so maybe they could be RW20's SOAD or Tool?

- The Raconteurs would be nice on the line-up! Preferably as Barn-headliner during Green Day or something like that ?. Single Help me Stranger is doing great, so I can definitely see them returning next year. 

And then we have the obvious ones with new albums:

Tame Impala (hopefully closing down the Main Stage with this light show :o !), The Black Keys, Vampire Weekend, Foals ... 

I think there will be enough options, so it would be extremely disappointing to have again RHCP, KOL, Green Day, Editors,  ... instead of some more original names. I personally also hope for Bon Iver, Solange, FKA Twigs, The Strokes, Kendrick, Stormzy, King Gizzard, Ride, Sharon Van Etten, Earl Sweatshirt, Thom Yorke ... Next year, RW will clash directly with DTRH, so I will definitely have to compare the line-up of these two festivals in order to make the right choice!