Watching an act with dodgy a rumour about them

Homer

2 hours ago, Mark E. Spliff said:

My view is that Jim Davidson is an arsehole and I hope he gets cancer.

Is that so you can hear the wonderful story of how he survived and buy tickets to his tour that will tell you about it?

Or you like the Idea of the NHS spending your money on helping him?

1 hour ago, maelzoid said:

My view is that anyone who wishes cancer on someone else is an arsehole.

Much of his career has been built on what they refer to these days as "punching down" - whether they be another race, gender, sexuality or disability.

I'm happy to be an arsehole in his case.

Edited by clarkete

Also proud to be an arsehole, because I'd genuinely be pleased to hear of his death.  No joke.

Nobody has any special right to be offended by cancer jokes.  As you get to my age, loved ones start dropping like flies, and you learn that one positive aspect of the Big C is that it's a highly democratic, equal opportunities institution.  However, by way of an olive branch, here's some caring advice: if you really are touchy about cancer jokes, avoid Jim Davidson gigs.

1 hour ago, rosieangel said:

Here we go again!!! ??

I'm very much looking forward to seeing Bjorn Again and think it's decent that Bjorn has since reflected that it's problematic. Not in the same league as some of the other lyrics mentioned but then this is ABBA!

When I Kissed The Teacher is also less than ideal.

3 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

But again, unusually told from the young girl's point of view. If there was any "punching" involved, this would be punching up, whereas the rock songs referenced are definitely punching down, if that's not stretching an analogy too much.

Of course the elephant in the room is that both songs were written by men in their 30's.

1 hour ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

1 hour ago, stuartbert two hats said:

But again, unusually told from the young girl's point of view. If there was any "punching" involved, this would be punching up, whereas the rock songs referenced are definitely punching down, if that's not stretching an analogy too much.

Of course the elephant in the room is that both songs were written by men in their 30's.

Yes, was going to say this. I also now imagine it as the Mamma Mia 2 version in a more platonic/female love sort of way which makes it a lot less creepy! Fair point re thirty year old man writing it, though I like to think they were channelling their youthful crushes and not some sort of adult fantasy..

• 2 years later...
11 hours ago, Homer said:

Just went to play some Avi Buffalo on Spotify and his first album's been removed - apparently by Subpop as a direct result of said dodgy rumours. So it turns out I win this thread after all (probably).

After all this, you still feel the urge to listen to him? 

7 minutes ago, Homer said:

He's subsequently been booked for and played Glastonbury if you fancy staging a boycott?

I think more damning/concrete stuff has come out about him since after the initial whispers of poor behaviour for a few years. I was surprised to see him on the Glastonbury lineup tbh after having heard these rumours.

But I must say.. I really like his first two albums. First one especially I played to death when it was released, so a shame they’re no longer available, although maybe it’s better to find them through more illegal means than to fund an abuser so can’t complain too much with their removal from steaming. 

1 minute ago, FloorFiller said:

I think more damning/concrete stuff has come out about him since after the initial whispers of poor behaviour for a few years. I was surprised to see him on the Glastonbury lineup tbh after having heard these rumours.

But I must say.. I really like his first two albums. First one especially I played to death when it was released, so a shame they’re no longer available, although maybe it’s better to find them through more illegal means than to fund an abuser so can’t complain too much with their removal from steaming. 

You are correct. We went through all this already (see above thread - I think I ended up issuing more apologies than Avi Buffalo did - but there you go), but to give a full and frank account of my actions as requested by The Bear: I was listening to my Glasto 2019 'revision' playlist while drunk last night when I noticed his tunes were missing. I then listened to 'Truth Sets In' on YouTube.

On Googling this morning in order to listen to it again, I can confirm for FloorFiller that there have been subsequent accusations. I couldn't read all of it. I am not currently listening to Avi Buffalo.