Watching an act with dodgy a rumour about them

Homer

4 hours ago, The Nal said:

I've watched Ferris Buellers Day off a few times since he killed those people. Enjoyed it too.

I named one of my dogs after the character. To be honest I wasn't aware of that story until afterwards but it is still one of my favourite films. 

I also think denying the art is good (if it is) because someone has done something questionable is stupid. You can say x artist made great films/paintings/music even if they were an abhorrent individual on every level. For me the moral question is whether you would choose to put money in their pocket. 

I actually feel less bad about playing the music of Michael Jackson say over Gary Glitter or Rolf Harris because he no longer benefits from it. I wouldn't like to think I was helping someone still alive cover legal fees or continue to give them the power that allows them to behave inappropriately. That's the line I personally draw anyway. Aware other people have different views on it. 

I'm not too fussed though it really depends on the full circumstances of what they did. Like if it's a full on Jimmy Saville style scummery then aye I'd probably boycott any act but some things I can differentiate the art from the artist.

I mean people are twats by nature, we all do bad shit at somepoint, all have some skewered views that others disagree with, have something about us that is unlikable.

I mean for a quick example we could easily rule out the following bands as bands never to listen to if you had a moral complex:

Hendrix, Elvis, Beatles, Zeppelin, Bowie, Stones, Doors, The Who, Sabbath, James Brown, ah who am I kidding, it's rock and roll, we'd have to rule everyone out...

Edited by chatty

Separating the artist from the crime is a weird one. Caravaggio is one of my favourite painters - the beheading of St John the Baptist truly took my breath away when I saw it in person, it’s incredible - but it’s fairly likely he was a massive nonce. However, being dead for a few hundred years separates him from the art left behind, at least in my head. 

Trickier to do that with people still alive, let alone performing on a stage. . . 

I can listen to Charles Mansons music and enjoy it but think he's a totally despicable piece of shit tbh. I wouldn't buy nowt by him mind.

Not that I listen to Manson very often but I have went on YouTube and listened to his songs and thought, they were actually pretty decent.

Weird point, but it really confused the hell out of me when I read that Charles Manson was 5ft 2. It’s from childhood horror films, nightmares, apocryphal stories that murderers/scary men/monsters are big and physically intimidating. 

but he was - and is - a tiny man. he was far more about the mind than any kind of physical threat. 

32 minutes ago, chatty said:

I can listen to Charles Mansons music and enjoy it but think he's a totally despicable piece of shit tbh. I wouldn't buy nowt by him mind.

Not that I listen to Manson very often but I have went on YouTube and listened to his songs and thought, they were actually pretty decent.

Mmm bop was a great tune 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

29 minutes ago, Purple aki squat said:

Mmm bop was a great tune 

It was, who would have thought those three kids would end up derranged cult leaders sending drugged up hippies out to kill celebrities. Such a shame.

I hope everyone is now imagining Hanson and drug asked killers like I am.

10 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

Had this quandary myself yesterday when listening to what I think is one of the great Stones songs BUT it has very dodgy lyrics. 

For dodgy lyrics look no further than Good Morning Little Schoolgirl, recorded by just about every man and his dog (inc Yardbirds, Grateful Dead, Rod Stewart) since it was written in the 1930s when attitudes were perhaps a little different.

7 hours ago, chatty said:

It was, who would have thought those three kids would end up derranged cult leaders sending drugged up hippies out to kill celebrities. Such a shame.

I hope everyone is now imagining Hanson and drug asked killers like I am.

I really fancied the girl in Hanson as well ?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Gnomicide said:

Had this quandary myself yesterday when listening to what I think is one of the great Stones songs BUT it has very dodgy lyrics. 

I can see that you're fifteen years old, no I don't want your ID....

Bet your mama don't know you scream like that,
I bet your mother don't know you can spit like that...

:stop: