Airbed, Roll Mat, Self Inflating Mat, Camp Bed and so on

JoeyT

16 minutes ago, 4AssedMonkey said:

I've tried this on our double sleeping bag and it didn't squash down much.  Think once it's rolled tight there's not much air left to squeeze out of it.

Mine is a single but is quite thick and I had the same issue.

Still, if I can get my clothes and pillows down that will help!

On 6/11/2022 at 1:47 PM, balti-pie said:

I’m currently lying on the trespass self-inflating mat, which came today - it’s rolled out and has been given a blow, and I tell you what it’s pretty bloody comfy. I’m quite a long person (6ft 2) so my feet dangle off the end a bit, I’ll need some sleeping socks of some form, but lying front/back/side it’s all very comfortable and there’s no doubt at all I can sleep on this. Just about to roll it back up and strap it all back together, which seems pretty straightforward. Recommended! 

Mine arrived this morning - seems great! Slightly narrower than usual airbed but much prefer the more 'mattressy' feel of it already. I am converted.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Nobby's Old Boots said:

Sorry if this has been mentioned but does anyone have one of these? Nearly pulled the trigger until I realised you need the pump & they're not self inflating. Wondering if it's going to be worth it now I'll have to also pack the pump!

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/single-inflatable-camping-bed-base/_/R-p-309887

Ta

I've got one (but I've also got an inflatable tent, so I'm taking the pump anyway). It does add an extra 4kg to what I'm carrying, but I think it will be worth it for me.

I tried it out a few days ago with my self inflating mat, and it was much more comfy than the mat on its own. I sleep on my side, so normally my hip is digging into the ground.

My husband tried it out and couldn't even lie on it, I have no idea what he was doing differently to me, but he just kind of disappeared between the slats and got entangled in the whole thing, so they're definitely not for everyone! If you do get one, give it a go before lugging it all the way there.

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, Simsy said:

I've got one (but I've also got an inflatable tent, so I'm taking the pump anyway). It does add an extra 4kg to what I'm carrying, but I think it will be worth it for me.

I tried it out a few days ago with my self inflating mat, and it was much more comfy than the mat on its own. I sleep on my side, so normally my hip is digging into the ground.

My husband tried it out and couldn't even lie on it, I have no idea what he was doing differently to me, but he just kind of disappeared between the slats and got entangled in the whole thing, so they're definitely not for everyone! If you do get one, give it a go before lugging it all the way there.

Thank you. Think I'll pick one up and see how it goes. Will be connecting two and putting a double mat on top.

On 6/13/2022 at 10:48 AM, mike86 said:

Have you tried it out yet? How is it for side sleeping? I've got a self inflating one at the moment that isn't any good when on your side. 

Also, can it be blown up manually or is a pump needed? 

Only briefly pumped it up to have a lie on it. Seemed pretty decent but can't give a full review until post next Wednesday night unfortunately. Electric pump didnt seem to get it firm enough so finished it off with a foot pump. 

After a failed experiment of lying on bubble wrap at Glasto 2003 (pop, pop, pop) I used an airbed for a few years before discovering the self inflating mats.   Complete revelation.   No need to keep pumping them up.   Less risk of puncture.   Nowhere near as much weight and hassle to carry.  

• 2 weeks later...
22 minutes ago, kalifire said:

I use an Exped Downmat 7LW. It’s expensive but feels really comfortable and packs up very small. 

https://www.trailspace.com/gear/exped/downmat-7/

I've got an exped synmat lite - love it! Cost around £120 but it's for wild camping as well. It's light, easy to inflate, super warm, super comfortable, doesn't deflate and is surprisingly robust. 

I need to replace mine as it finally gave up the ghost this year.  Despite no longer holding any air in and only being the outer material and foam inner between me and the ground it did a surprisingly good job of keeping the cold out from below and not being too uncomfortable.

Big fan of the self-inflator having used this one every year since 2015.  Didn't pack up too small but weighed nothing so you could position it anywhere on the pack comfortably and not know it was there.  5 festivals and a few camping trips was a reasonable lifespan for something I paid £15 for back then, I bet replacing it will be a more expensive proposition.

12 minutes ago, JohnTheScientist said:

The tresspass mats recommended on here were great. Bargain at £27, only issue is they're not the smallest but fairly lightweight and stayed up well

Agreed, best one I've had - albeit the previous one's were cheap tat 

I was on the Trespass £27 effort as well, I put a duvet on top and then slept under a sleeping bag - it got more comfy through the nights, and I could get a good 6-7 hours kip on them; so much better than an inflatable mattress it’s untrue! I’m a definite convert 

1 hour ago, JohnTheScientist said:

The tresspass mats recommended on here were great. Bargain at £27, only issue is they're not the smallest but fairly lightweight and stayed up well

Think I posted the original link to these- I took the plunge too and slept well but had to top mine up every morning- think it had a slow puncture so might have to see if I can get a replacement, unless I can find/fix the leak. Would recommend though- even with the slight deflation it was still comfy and warm, and a bargain compared to others!

1 hour ago, balti-pie said:

I was on the Trespass £27 effort as well, I put a duvet on top and then slept under a sleeping bag - it got more comfy through the nights, and I could get a good 6-7 hours kip on them; so much better than an inflatable mattress it’s untrue! I’m a definite convert 

How big was this when packed down?

9 minutes ago, Levitz said:

How big was this when packed down?

its not small, it would want tying to the bottom of a rucksack or similar - its about 70cm tall, and perhaps 20cm across rolled up? but it straps up well and easily, and has a bag to carry it in. Best camping purchase ive made in a couple of years and laughably superior to a blow-up. 

1 hour ago, robbie1983 said:

£12 decathlon camp bed, never going back to a blow up after that. Best sleeps I’ve ever had

the "its a workout trying to get the leg bits to fit' style? I used one for a while, was great ( and you can get stuff under). "upgraded" to the aluminium , "it unfolds and folding it back you can trap your fingers" style. 
For more comfort ( if its cold ) use a self inflating airbag.

Best bit for old-gits is you're not on the floor , so easier to get up 😄